CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   3.8 supercharger (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/3-8-supercharger-819682/)

chevys89 06-30-2011 02:37 PM

3.8 supercharger

I was wondering if a supercharger from a Grand am 3.8 would fix on my 96 camaro 3.8

Evolution223 06-30-2011 05:47 PM

Re: 3.8 supercharger

that question has been asked a million times. unfortunatly it won't, only because there is not enough room for the intake since the Grand Am was a FWD car. Might as well just buy the Grand Am.

chevys89 07-01-2011 03:15 PM

damn I was hoping it would. I was going to put some header on it then try to find a 3.8 supercharger to see if it would have fit that would be bad ass a v-6 with headers and a supercharger

transamtom 07-04-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by chevys89 (Post 6730178)
damn I was hoping it would. I was going to put some header on it then try to find a 3.8 supercharger to see if it would have fit that would be bad ass a v-6 with headers and a supercharger

It will fit but there are a few things you need to do.

Here are couple of links:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=81049

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=102815

Need4Camaro 07-11-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by chevys89 (Post 6730178)

It fits, but you have to cut into the S/C and there's a good bit of modification / custom fabrication involved. Im not sure to the degree of expenses but I know most people who have done it say it's not worth it.

94sabreslinger 07-20-2011 12:01 PM

that's not entirely accurate. In the early 90's, pontiac did a test TA with a 3800 supercharged in it, and while yes there was some fancy fabrication, they managed to make it fit without having to cut the cowl or significantly modify the firewall. GM DID IT!!! so it is absolutely possible to make one fit without cutting anything bodywise. Sure, you need a trick intake elbow, but if you know what your are doing, that's it. GM also had it tuned to roughly 300 hp in 93 or 94 when they did the concept cars.

Also, unless you have the complete motor, you will need to swap everything from the heads up, as the injector bosses on the supercharged motors are in the heads, not the intake as per a naturally aspirated motors.

Evolution223 07-23-2011 07:49 AM

there are companies that make kits to supercharge a RWD 3800 but be prepared to pay about $2500 just for the kit,

can someone link to one of those companies again?

rv93 07-31-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 94sabreslinger (Post 6744207)
that's not entirely accurate. In the early 90's, pontiac did a test TA with a 3800 supercharged in it, and while yes there was some fancy fabrication, they managed to make it fit without having to cut the cowl or significantly modify the firewall. GM DID IT!!! so it is absolutely possible to make one fit without cutting anything bodywise. Sure, you need a trick intake elbow, but if you know what your are doing, that's it. GM also had it tuned to roughly 300 hp in 93 or 94 when they did the concept cars.

Also, unless you have the complete motor, you will need to swap everything from the heads up, as the injector bosses on the supercharged motors are in the heads, not the intake as per a naturally aspirated motors.

anything is technically possible. gm has a ridiculous budget to blow if they wish to do so. hell, if they really wanted to, they could stick a Lamborghini V12 in my camaro. does that mean its possible for me to do it? no, it doesnt.

Evolution223 07-31-2011 07:10 PM

never the less, I think it was stupid for GM not to put the super charger on the 3.8's since they were already making them for other cars it would have been really easy, I guess they wanted to make everyone to shell out an extra $6k for the Z28.

chevys89 08-01-2011 02:28 PM

true

Need4Camaro 08-01-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 94sabreslinger (Post 6744207)

Not bashing, but I didnt say you had to modify the body or firewall, I said you have to cut the S/C intake off and redirect it to the side instead of the back or it simply put wont clear the firewall. There's no way around that.

Originally Posted by Evolution223 (Post 6751824)
never the less, I think it was stupid for GM not to put the super charger on the 3.8's since they were already making them for other cars it would have been really easy, I guess they wanted to make everyone to shell out an extra $6k for the Z28.

I agree but in reality if they did that, it would have slaughtered Z28 and SS sales. Think of it...you can have a sporty / quick stout base model V6 capable of stomping on V8's by just adding a Pulley and Intercooler for half the price of a V8 WHILE saving gas too... the V8's would have been slaughtered.

Now...what would have been interesting is to have offered a "performance S/C'd V6" about 3k less than the V8's and 3k more than the V6's....

Bluechevyz28 08-06-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Evolution223 (Post 6751824)

GM didn't want to have a v6 Camaro compete with the Z28