CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Track Kill Stories (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/track-kill-stories-15/)
-   -   Results! LS1 vs. me (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/track-kill-stories-15/results-ls1-vs-me-276046/)

Steve Y 06-26-2004 11:10 AM

Results! LS1 vs. me

Finally raced that LS1 we were bench racing about. This one was a WS6 automatic with unknown mods (probably stock or a K&N or something). I pulled 3-4 cars out of the hole on him thanks to the DRs and his street tires :D. Then it was even all the way down or he was barely creeping. I ended up winning by about 3-4 cars! Also ran a stage 2 SRT-4 with DRs. I pulled 2 cars on him from the start. By the 1/8 mile we were even. By the 1/4 he put 4-5 cars on me! Ouch. Ran a stock Sti. I got a crappy launch and he put 2-3 cars on me. He pulled slightly all the way down and ended up about 3-4 cars ahead by the end. Ran a '72 Nova with an exhaust, intake 350, TH350, stall, 4.11 gears and street tires. I pulled 1 car out of the hole on him and we stayed that way all the way to the end. This was my most exciting race of the night. Ran a '96 vert. Cobra with cold air, pulleys, DRs, etc. I lost one car out of the hole and we stayed this way to the end. Last up was an '89 5.0 5-speed with full exhaust, full intake, E-303 cam, 2.73s and street tires. I ripped him by 5-6 cars out of the hole and he didn't close the gap much if any. Whew! What a night!

ULTIMTEORANGESS 06-26-2004 05:11 PM

you know what?i saw a hooked up SRT-4 a couple months ago go up against a modded 5.0.a similar thing happened as you described.the 5.0 got a better hook but the neon ran him down and passed it.

a better prepared and more experienced driver wins in these steet racing events.:cool:

some guys are sneaky and are faster than you think.

if you ever bet money be careful.;)

its a fun time though.

Steve Y 06-26-2004 06:00 PM

These were legal grudge races at my local track. No timeslips. Just like street racing, but legal. Lots of fun!

ULTIMTEORANGESS 06-26-2004 06:06 PM

O,ive never heard of that.

im going to have to go to an fBODY VS. MUSTANG event sometime.

i have a grudge. :lol:

Zeueses 97 RamAir 06-27-2004 06:58 PM

the ls1 guy must not have got on it

He was creeping 3-4 cars sounds like you are running mid 13s vs his 14 plus, he must have been one slow ls1. hell my freinds conv automatic ran 13.7 stock was his a convertible. The reason I am asking in your sig says you run 14.0. I ran the car this weekend with all new tune up and gears, plugs, all boltons ran 8.5 in eighth then I raced a mach1 he ran with slicks 8.3 with bolt ons those mach1 are light. I need slicks

Articblast 06-27-2004 08:45 PM

Let's get this straight! You beat a LS1 WS6.....by 4 or 5 cars, but lost to a SRT Neon and a STI. Uh, was the guy in the WS6 blindfolded and drunk?? That dude couldn't drive , he should've pulled you by several cars. Even if you got him out of the hole, he should have ran you down fairly quickly! :confused:

Steve Y 06-27-2004 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Articblast
Let's get this straight! You beat a LS1 WS6.....by 4 or 5 cars, but lost to a SRT Neon and a STI. Uh, was the guy in the WS6 blindfolded and drunk?? That dude couldn't drive , he should've pulled you by several cars. Even if you got him out of the hole, he should have ran you down fairly quickly! :confused:
I beat the LS1 by 3-4 cars. I lost to a Stage 2 SRT-4 on DRs by 4-5 cars. I lost to a stock Sti by 3-4 cars with a really crappy launch by me. It was an automatic LS1. How hard is it to hold the gas to the floor? He did not pull much if at all.

Ryan's LT1 06-27-2004 09:44 PM

Still doesn't make sense. There's something wrong with his car if he's running around 14.0, even if it is an automatic.

Good kills though.

Steve Y 06-27-2004 09:45 PM

Re: the ls1 guy must not have got on it

Originally posted by Zeueses 97 RamAir
He was creeping 3-4 cars sounds like you are running mid 13s vs his 14 plus, he must have been one slow ls1. hell my freinds conv automatic ran 13.7 stock was his a convertible. The reason I am asking in your sig says you run 14.0. I ran the car this weekend with all new tune up and gears, plugs, all boltons ran 8.5 in eighth then I raced a mach1 he ran with slicks 8.3 with bolt ons those mach1 are light. I need slicks
My car ran 14.0 before the last round of mods. See the sig. Mach 1s weigh the same as LS1s, both about 3400 lbs. Yes slicks make a hell of a difference!

Steve Y 06-27-2004 09:48 PM

Originally posted by x94_Camaro_Z28x
Still doesn't make sense. There's something wrong with his car if he's running around 14.0, even if it is an automatic.

Good kills though.

Yes it does not make sense except for maybe the launch pad at this track. It is concrete with a lot of rubber on it. It is nearly impossible to launch on that thing with street tires. It has a lot worse traction than the street! I have yet to be beaten by a stock LS1 at this track. Anybody want to be the first?

ULTIMTEORANGESS 06-27-2004 09:59 PM

those other cars he raced he claims were on sticky tires or AWD.

launching an ls1 on street tires can be a PITA.

he didnt say his car was faster he just claims to beat it which is possible under these circumstances.

Steve Y 06-27-2004 10:06 PM

Originally posted by ULTIMTEORANGESS
those other cars he raced he claims were on sticky tires or AWD.

launching an ls1 on street tires can be a PITA.

he didnt say his car was faster he just claims to beat it which is possible under these circumstances.

Exactly. Using DRs at this track is like cheating, vs. fwd or rwd cars with street tires. I used to run street tires at this track and lost to so many cars. Now I win A LOT more. The funny thing is, the LS1s don't pull much if any once I get ahead of them at the launch. I'm sure a properly driven stock LS1 ringer should close the gap quickly on me after the launch. I will keep racing them and report to you guys the results. Maybe they see me rip them hard out of the hole and lose confidence, miss a gear, or give up or something, I don't know.

97bowtie 06-28-2004 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Steve Y
Anybody want to be the first?
Might be worth a trip to Nevada. :p j/k

Good kills. A friend of a friend has a stock LS1 SS auto and it ran a 13.9 @ 101 stock...a far cry from what my car ran stock (see sig). Some run strong, some don't. Your car should be in the low 13 second range as it sits. Get some new track times!

Blu91Z28 06-29-2004 09:21 PM

What were your times??? My L98 can pull LS1's off the line but somewhere between the 1/8 and 1/4, I get passed like I'm standing still. That's if the LS1 has traction problems. Otherwise, I'm toast from beginning to end. Slowest LS1 I've seen was a auto Vette with a 300lbs.+ driver and he still ran a 14.0 @ 103.

Steve Y 06-30-2004 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Blu91Z28
What were your times??? My L98 can pull LS1's off the line but somewhere between the 1/8 and 1/4, I get passed like I'm standing still. That's if the LS1 has traction problems. Otherwise, I'm toast from beginning to end. Slowest LS1 I've seen was a auto Vette with a 300lbs.+ driver and he still ran a 14.0 @ 103.
See sig. for times before the last round of mods. I must run about mid 13s now. I'm not sure until I run the car at a timed dragstrip. The track I am running all these cars on is a grudge racing track with no timeslips.