CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Track Kill Stories (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/track-kill-stories-15/)
-   -   Near Death Experience (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/track-kill-stories-15/near-death-experience-389637/)

00cls1camaross 08-12-2005 12:24 PM

Near Death Experience

I am prolly the stupidest person alive....

It had just rained and the roads were pretty wet... i was cruising around with my friend when this fricken civic pulls up next to me. Since i have a "big bad camaro" i decide to tear him up.... little do i know that the road that i am on turns into dirt. So the light hits red and WOT i hit it and start sliding around (i turned off my ASR). Evenually i grabbed and took off. By the end of second gear he was barely behind me and then all of a sudden.... an act of God... i turned back on my asr while we were still racing and then BAM i hit the dirt road and lost control... i slammed on my breaks and started spinning.... then i could feel the asr working stabilizing me and then SMASH right into a fricken stop sign... after that i reversed my car out and looked and i had a small scuff and crack on my bumper... all i can say is someone up there didnt let me die... or it could have just been the traction control??? who knows but it was scary ****... and i am 100% sure that that is my last time racing on the street... hope this makes you think twice about racing...

-Dakota

Klypto 08-12-2005 12:49 PM

Re: Near Death Experience

KINDA same thing happened to me, but i wasnt as lucky as you(see sig, pics inside) i wasnt racing, but i did smash the gas at 70mph while it was wet...

2 trees + 70mph = not good :(

-cory-

but the rebuild(motor swap) will be done next week!

MarkyMark 08-12-2005 12:57 PM

I think it was your abs working and not your asr. as far as I know asr is only for accelerating, not slowing down.

2000GTP 08-12-2005 02:18 PM

Good thing neither your friend or yourself was injured. I think most of us have learned that lesson at least once in our lives.

00cls1camaross 08-12-2005 02:54 PM

i have felt my asr work before when i purposly accelerate in a wet area and it cuts off my throttle kind of and slows me down.... i thought it was asr... anyone know for sure?

MarkyMark 08-12-2005 09:35 PM

yea the asr will cut your throttle when you accelerate, but you said you felt the asr when you applied the brakes and started to spin out of control. The abs would make your brakes kinda pulsate which helps keep the tires from locking up.

It is scary as hell though when you have close calls.....once on a turn I lost control in the rain and did a 180 degree spin and also in the rain I was probably 2 inches from rearending someone (The abs saved me though). But, I'm a dumbass and the need for speed won me over and now I have currently deleted my abs and my asr for weight reduction mostly and to clean up my engine bay (and the fact that asr is the biggest pain in the ass most of the time)

00cls1camaross 08-13-2005 02:53 AM

thanks mark... i know you have answered a number of my post so thanks... yeah damn... i was never so scared... not just for my life but for my gf.... now though i am going to think twice about where i race on the street...

TedH 08-14-2005 09:41 AM

Moving to the "kills" section. Most of us in the drag racing forum can understand you choice to start going to the track. Hopefully in the kills forum it may encourage someone else to go to the track as well. :)

Klypto 08-14-2005 10:46 AM

yea, i doubt ill street race anymore once i get my baby back... i had someone in my car that i met 6 days before... LUCKILY shes fine, but the whole sitsuation scared the hell outa me... you would think shed hate me lol, but it got us to become pretty close friends....

-cory-

GT KILLER 08-14-2005 11:56 AM

Well, I may still play on the street, but I'll make sure that I am familiar with the road I am on, and that it's pretty damn dry out.

JBird33 08-14-2005 12:57 PM

Hitting your brakes may have been what screwed you! Don't ever do that if you're spinning, you can usually bring her back around. I'm happy you're ok man!

Antz97ZNJ 08-14-2005 02:35 PM

Had a few of the same things happen to me in my 97....but only on black ice...I did a complete 180 for about 40 feet and was stopped by a sidwalk about a foot away from a telephone pole...luckily it prevented me from wacking it... the only thing that really happen was I cracked my wheel up pretty bad...after that (especially having no suspension or corning mods whatsoever) if there was even a light sprinkle I was driving like miss daisy or taking my mothers car.

00cls1camaross 08-14-2005 06:11 PM

i know... that whoel experience brought us closer too... but yeah i know i messed up and all... my new bumper comes in tues. and so does my grill... any ideas on where to find the paint code for the color of my car?

Antz97ZNJ 08-14-2005 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
i know... that whoel experience brought us closer too... but yeah i know i messed up and all... my new bumper comes in tues. and so does my grill... any ideas on where to find the paint code for the color of my car?

Just give your local GM dealer a ring...if any problems my uncle runs a big chevy parts dept. here im sure I can get you whatever info you need.

jimdrechsler 08-14-2005 07:47 PM

too bad it takes an experience like this for people to realize the dnagers of street racing. however i still do it on occasion if i feel it is safe :D