Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Lt1 vs Ls1 Race...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Lt1 vs Ls1 Race...

My buddy just bought a ls1 camaro that is a a4 and has about 190,000. He wants to run my 95z how do you think it will play out do i have a chance?
Here is our car specs.

98 camaro Stock ls1 with lid, no muffler or cats or egr. 3.42 gears and on radials.

Me 95 z Long tubes, ory, cutout, performa built trans, 3000 stall, cold air intake, 3.73 gears ,Slp lower control arms, pcm4 less tune, ac delete and also on radials.

Who has the advantage? Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 AM

If you have good traction you should put a car to car and a half on him at the launch but if his car is running well he'll reel you in fast and walk you by about 4 or 5 cars in the 1/4.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM

You've got him.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
If you have good traction you should put a car to car and a half on him at the launch but if his car is running well he'll reel you in fast and walk you by about 4 or 5 cars in the 1/4.
4-5 cars in the 1/4? you've got to be kidding me - clearly you are a little bias. That LS1's got 190k on it, if you think its going to rip a 13.1 1/4 your poorly mistaken.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 PM

ROFLMNAO...

Dude... Come on?

You LS guys have got to learn some web-racin' discipline.

It's a 12 second run and comparable power is gonna reel up 2 and put down 4... ?

LOL... When did a lid and catback start developin' 600 HP? 'Cause that's about what it would take to pull that off.

The LT has a torque advantage with the Stall and the gears and the natural LT charateristics. So he owns the LS through the 1/8th...

Here's how it's gonna go; all things being equal... the LT-1 with the exhaust, stall and 3.73s is gonna set 1-1/2 on him, and at around the 1/8th the LT1 starts to fall off the torque advantage allowing the LS to start gobblin up a length with it's big end advantage; he MIGHT even possibly pull it back to even; depending on how she's runnin' on that run.

But I expect the LT-1; again, with all things being even in terms of hook and weight; will take that run by a 1/2 car. 1/8th mile and it's the LT all the way.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
4-5 cars in the 1/4? you've got to be kidding me - clearly you are a little bias. That LS1's got 190k on it, if you think its going to rip a 13.1 1/4 your poorly mistaken.
Originally Posted by OVA1
ROFLMNAO...

Dude... Come on?

You LS guys have got to learn some web-racin' discipline.

It's a 12 second run and comparable power is gonna reel up 2 and put down 4... ?

LOL... When did a lid and catback start developin' 600 HP? 'Cause that's about what it would take to pull that off.

The LT has a torque advantage with the Stall and the gears and the natural LT charateristics. So he owns the LS through the 1/8th...

Here's how it's gonna go; all things being equal... the LT-1 with the exhaust, stall and 3.73s is gonna set 1-1/2 on him, and at around the 1/8th the LT1 starts to fall off the torque advantage allowing the LS to start gobblin up a length with it's big end advantage; he MIGHT even possibly pull it back to even; depending on how she's runnin' on that run.

But I expect the LT-1; again, with all things being even in terms of hook and weight; will take that run by a 1/2 car. 1/8th mile and it's the LT all the way.
Get real guys. 600 hp to reel in a stock LT1 with longtubes and a stall.
No need to ''learn some web-racin' discipline''. I race at the track all summer every summer. With equal traction and both cars running well that LT1 will NOT win.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 AM

Given my experience at the local track here. A stock LS1, auto or stick, against an LT1 car with those kinds of mods doesn't stand a chance. Unless of course every last one of the 20-30 LS1 car drivers that frequents the track here can't drive.....then I might be mistaken. I'm gunna have to go with the LT1 on this battle. The only way I can see the LS1 taking the win is by the LT1 car frying the tires more than him off the line.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Get real guys. 600 hp to reel in a stock LT1 with longtubes and a stall.
No need to ''learn some web-racin' discipline''. I race at the track all summer every summer. With equal traction and both cars running well that LT1 will NOT win.
Stop it... You're crashing your already dubious creds.

First, I didn't say that anyone needed 600 Hp to reel in an Lt-1; and your attempt to revise my point to reflect that douchery is.. well it's just lame man.

Second, this isn't even about you giving the advantage to the LS-1.

What this is about is your claim that the bolt-on LS-1 has a 5-6 car advantage on an LT-1 with Lt headers/cutout, a 3k stall and a PB tranny... with marginally lower gears... in the 1/4 mile.

Dude, that race is of two cars with comparable HP, with the LT-1 having vastly superior torque management; from the PB tranny and the 3k stall.

The LS-1s key advantage is aspiration; it moves more air through the engine; the LT-1 has a set of Lt headers and a CUTOUT... significantly closing the gap of that former advantage.

When you add to that, the Lt returning to peak torque at shift; with the shifts being the snappy, clean shifts common to the PB tranny and the PCM for less tune... the LS has lost any advantage that it began with.

In fact, as I stated, it's a close race... and that's without the 190k miles on the LS1 valvetrain; further cutting the inherent Ls1 edge.

Now it's pointless to argue who would win; as odds are that it's a push on any given run; and the advantage going; as it always does in such cases, to the car that gets out of the hole the first.

So enough of the BS...

A stock 98 LS-1 running a stock 95 Lt-1 would have a 2-3 car advantage in the 1/4m; but there ain't gonna be no Lid-cat-back LS1 taking a LT, cutout, 3k stall, 3.73 geared Lt-1 by no 4 cars after having slipped 1.5 cars down low...

And here's the ugly part... Anyone that spends as much time at the track as you claim, would know that.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM

its gonna be a drivers race. Both cars are pretty even with a smallish advantage going to the LS1 car. The stall aint gonna help much on the street with street tires, so the LT1 car probably wont have any help there, and the LS1 still has the HP advantage.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Just race and find out
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM

these ls1 vs lt1 threads crack me up.....ls1 guys still think it's god's own motor on earth...let's see what they say when they run up against the new 5.0 from ford. i'd give the nudge to the lt1 on this run though, and i have no bias because i own cars with both motors
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM

Both with equal traction....probably the LS1, but should be pretty close.

And stock to stock, there is quite a bit more than "2-3 car lengths" between an LS1 and an LT1 - everythign else being equal. More like 6-8....ie....mid 13 second car vs low-mid 14 second car.

On average. Stock to stock.

Oh, and one more thing....for being "pointless to argue", some folks sure do post a lot of arguements.

Oops....one more...sorry....

Name:  ls1god.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  36.3 KB
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
these ls1 vs lt1 threads crack me up.....ls1 guys still think it's god's own motor on earth...let's see what they say when they run up against the new 5.0 from ford. i'd give the nudge to the lt1 on this run though, and i have no bias because i own cars with both motors
The new Ford 5.0 will certainly be a heavyweight. Although I don't think it'll be as crazy as everyone imagines. I've read that the bore is virtually maxed out and it's already revving to 6800. So we won't really see any strokers and I don't see that thing revving all that much higher. Seems like power is going to have to be made in the stock rpm range, with stock cubes. All that coupled with the fact that it's already halfway to headers, cai and exhaust along with the tune already being more aggressive than most. Doesn't sound like it has anywhere near the potential of a GEN IV. It will most likely be like many other ford engines we've seen and require forced induction to keep up with N/A GM engines.

In all honesty though, arguing an American V8 vs another American V8 these days is kind of dumb. We should be targeting the imports. And really, ask yourself this. You've got an LS1, LT1, 4.6 and 5.0. Can't they all hit 300rwhp, 400rwhp, 500rwhp, 600rwhp? Some take forced induction to do this in a practical way... but they all get there. Some cost more, some cost less. Once the mods start, it doesn't much matter anymore.

Last edited by bkpliskin; 04-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
The new Ford 5.0 will certainly be a heavyweight. Although I don't think it'll be as crazy as everyone imagines. I've read that the bore is virtually maxed out and it's already revving to 6800. So we won't really see any strokers and I don't see that thing revving all that much higher. Seems like power is going to have to be made in the stock rpm range, with stock cubes. All that coupled with the fact that it's already halfway to headers, cai and exhaust along with the tune already being more aggressive than most. Doesn't sound like it has anywhere near the potential of a GEN IV. It will most likely be like many other ford engines we've seen and require forced induction to keep up with N/A GM engines.

In all honesty though, arguing an American V8 vs another American V8 these days is kind of dumb. We should be targeting the imports. And really, ask yourself this. You've got an LS1, LT1, 4.6 and 5.0. Can't they all hit 300rwhp, 400rwhp, 500rwhp, 600rwhp? Some take forced induction to do this in a practical way... but they all get there. Some cost more, some cost less. Once the mods start, it doesn't much matter anymore.
good points, but to be sure, the aftermarket still does not yet have it's hands on the new 5.0. all we know thus far is what we've heard. it remains to be seen what mods this motor will respond to.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
good points, but to be sure, the aftermarket still does not yet have it's hands on the new 5.0. all we know thus far is what we've heard. it remains to be seen what mods this motor will respond to.
That is true. All speculation based on what we already know about motors, and what has already been told to us about this particular one.

Quick Reply: Lt1 vs Ls1 Race...