Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

00 SS vs 08 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:39 PM

Thumbs up 00 SS vs 08 Evo

Well let me start off saying that this was a bad *** race. It started when i was entering the freeway and i look over and see this new evo flying in the left lane. I quickly followed suit and caught up to him, but once he sees me in the rear view he slams it and i stay right with him then we slow cause of traffic.

We cruised for a whole minute and finally the traffic was clear, I get along side and look over and we both smile and waive. I look on my other side and some idoit in a freakin scion is trying to get in on the action. lol I put her in second and jumped a lil bit and the evo did the same, I proceed with honks and right after the 3rd....it was ***** to wall for both of us!

We started at 65, he pulls a car on me through 2nd and once I hit 3rd it stayed even up to 120 where we let off due to traffic. We get along side each other again and throw a waive and I exit to go home.

Oh ya the scion.......left him sniffin our fumes.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 PM

I'm surprised he even kept up if it was the new style Evo. They're pretty disappointing to me -- only 100 mph traps and a totally unknown mod potential vs. the older cars with the 4g63 engine.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 PM

He had to have been modded up cause this thing was no slouch!

Must have been those 2 stickers on the back.........

Last edited by crazytglo; 05-29-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 PM

Or the park bench spoiler
Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by John M
I'm surprised he even kept up if it was the new style Evo. They're pretty disappointing to me -- only 100 mph traps and a totally unknown mod potential vs. the older cars with the 4g63 engine.
The 4g is no slouch but the heads/valvetrain on the new EVO is head and shoulders above the 4g design

The biggest downside is the stock internals arent as beefy for high boost but should do well for most bolt-on power levels...save for maybe a turbo swap

I think a K&N drop in filter picked up 15-20whp on them

Drop in filter element and exhaust = On the dyno, the DCF system pushed the peak output of the EVO to 293.7 horsepower and 294.1 lb-ft of torque.

http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2008/..._article.shtml
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM

It's probably better for 90% of the owners who just want a few bolt-ons. Overall I guess it is progress -- we were happy with the original engine when it made a whopping 195 crank hp. If you offered a forced induction engine with that power today people would laugh. 300whp was more than many DSM owners got back in the day so the new car is no slouch when you look at the big picture.

I'm working on a ~ 400whp build for my Subaru right now, anchored by a FP Green turbo. It's the main reason I bought a Legacy -- it can handle the increase without any internal work. I'd hate to see the new Evo's hit a wall when the old ones could make such massive power on stock internals.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 PM

It's probably better for 90% of the owners who just want a few bolt-ons. Overall I guess it is progress -- we were happy with the original engine when it made a whopping 195 crank hp. If you offered a forced induction engine with that power today people would laugh. 300whp was more than many DSM owners got back in the day so the new car is no slouch when you look at the big picture.

I'm working on a ~ 400whp build for my Subaru right now, anchored by a FP Green turbo. It's the main reason I bought a Legacy -- it can handle the increase without any internal work. I'd hate to see the new Evo's hit a wall when the old ones could make such massive power on stock internals.
Well just look at the honda guys....with tuning even on non forged internals and floating sleeves they are making anywhere from 400-500whp with supporting mods.....I think the new EVO will have the head flow and valvetrain to make the hp up top where the 4g just kinda dies off (in comparison to other 4cyls that benefit from variable cam lobes/timing)

The new MIVEC setup on the EVO will help the EVO breath up top...the internals my prove to hold 450-500whp and then the sleeves will be the weak link....a simple sleeve upgrade and the block should support 1000+whp

So I dont think the serious guys are gonna whine too much...because if your gonna grab a GT42R and a top mount your most likely gonna reach for sleeves...most blocks these days arent cast iron solid deck so sleeving had become pretty common place

Good luck with the Green....my buddy tried a red and they were just never enough power for his needs....a Green should be a decent street turbo though and make the car much more fun up top

Most people are reaching for a GT35R on the street...pretty solid numbers
Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 PM

I have realistic street car desires. I have the new HTA Green which is supposed to pack almost as much top end as the Red without much penalty in response. I'm shooting for 380-400whp on 93 octane pump. I'll tune for 100 octane later on but don't expect to run it often. I should make numbers similar to a GT30R in a stock-looking package.

If I can trap 118-120 mph, I'll be happy. These guys who drop $10-20k in mods and wrench on their cars all day can have it. A GT42R?! That's what's on John Shepherd's Talon and I can't imagine any street car that needs to trap 190+ mph in the quarter.

I know I won't have the fastest thing on the road but an 11-sec sedan that looks like a Camry with a hoodscoop would be all I need for now. Then again, I've always said I'd quit at X power level and after 16 years of modding, I haven't quit yet.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 AM

Yea ive heard those cars wake up big time w/ a tune and simple mods though.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Mine made 323WHP/322WTQ with just a catback, upper intercooler pipe, air filter, and a tune.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by TeamingTealZ28
Or the park bench spoiler
Your dyno numbers are a joke right?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 AM

I know I won't have the fastest thing on the road but an 11-sec sedan that looks like a Camry with a hoodscoop would be all I need for now. Then again, I've always said I'd quit at X power level and after 16 years of modding, I haven't quit yet.
360lbs-ft legacy wagon with stock-sounding exhaust is even better. STI owners sometimes get a puzzled expression on their face when I ooze away from them without much noise or downshifting, hehe.

Curious what both the new EVO and Camaro engines will bring to the table once enough people start fiddling with them for a couple of years.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM

I did an EVO cruzin @ 55 roll. Minding my own bizz in the left lane following traffic and, maintaining a nice margin of safety ahead. Here comes this evo behind in the center lane bustin azz. I know he's thinking... hey another slug 97ss LT1 Camaro POS American. Well, he's hitting it hard to cut me off comming up fast on the Rt. So, I slow back to 55 to make room, shift to 3rd, open the dump, and "hit-it" when he gets to my rear quarter. Destroyed him even with all his speed. We did it again from a 50 roll, and 2nd destruction for the EVO. Of course, I have modded alot. 383 D1 M6 Moser 3.73:1 gears. I don't like euro or asian brands too. Way... over rated.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:39 PM

Really ? the evo is that fast?
is that the square subaru with the stupid looking backwards hood scoop?