Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Thouhgts on Brake Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 AM

Thouhgts on Brake Rotors?

Has anyone bought the cheap brake rotors off of EBAY. They are like $170 for all four brake rotors and pads. I am getting married soon and dont have a ton of money to sink into the money pit right now and it needs them bad. they are drilled and slotted i didnt really want drilled but for the price i am considering. I have a buddy that has them but they have only been on the car for about a week so i dont really know how they are gonna do yet.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 AM

Post the link please. Maybe we can tell by the brand.

Personally, I use ceramic pads which seem to work better for me.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

My thought on "brake rotors" is - let's move this to the "Suspension, Chassis and Brakes" forum. Doesn't belong in "engine tech"....
Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM

would you bet your life or life of some child in the road on 170$ brakes?????

thats like paying 800 for a Springfield armory 1911 that will start needinf parts replaced after about 1500-2000 rounds fired, versus paying 2000 for a Les Baer Custom and not replacing anything for 15,000 rounds...in my line of work, I need reliability...brakes...you need reliability. I learned my lesson when I bought my current EBC slotted rotors and Red Stuff pads. They get hot and they stop well, but they cool off so damn fast that i have hairline heat stress cracks in both front rotors.

save a little more money and go with the higher end rotors
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM

I think I paid around $150 total when I replaced pads and rotors in mine. I went with duralast rotors, and I can't remember what for pads, but they were the mid-grade. The car stops beautifully and I have had ZERO problems. Granted, I don't race the car, but to haul me and my family around on a Friday night, I feel perfectly safe.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Go to ws6store.com and get some from them. I just bought a set for my T/A (crossdrilled and slotted) and paid like $190ish. Great product and excellent quality. Plus their customer service was awesome.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Honestly... just got to Autozone and pick up a set of pads and rotors unless you're going to be road-racing the thing. Their pads are fine.

As for slotted/cross-drilled rotors... unless you're buying good stuff (Wilwood, Baer, etc) then avoid drilled rotors. Most of the cheap ones you find on ebay and such have the holes drilled after they are forged; this creates stress points and will in most cases cause the rotors to crack and fail prematurely. Slotted fine, drilled only if they're high-end rotors.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Honestly... just got to Autozone and pick up a set of pads and rotors unless you're going to be road-racing the thing. Their pads are fine.

As for slotted/cross-drilled rotors... unless you're buying good stuff (Wilwood, Baer, etc) then avoid drilled rotors. Most of the cheap ones you find on ebay and such have the holes drilled after they are forged; this creates stress points and will in most cases cause the rotors to crack and fail prematurely. Slotted fine, drilled only if they're high-end rotors.
^^^ This. I used Autozone rotors & pads. Get the ceramic pads. The mid grade & low end pads are good but create a lot of dust.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 AM

If you are not doing any serious driving in the car, I agree with the others, you can get some good brake parts from your local parts store for probably close to the same cost versus Ebay. At least then, you will have some options ranging from low, mid, and premium grade parts.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Just keep in mind that you'll get what you pay for. My brother once bought Duralast Gold Rotors and some cheap pads from Autozone, and he couldnt get the brakes on his car. The rotors were the wrong size. And when he returned them and got different rotors, those cheap pads didnt stop very well and ran out quickly.

But if your car is primarly a DD that goes the speed limit, there's nothing wrong with not buying top of the line parts.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:20 AM

i ha them on my first camaro and they were fine. but i just bought another set and iwas putting them on yesterday and one of the front rotors wouldnt spin after i put the caliper back on, something is messed up the rotor didnt sit flush with the axle hub. but i have today to fix it. i would buy just the rotors go somewhere else for the pad. but anyone have any idea s to why the rotor wont spin after installation? its only about 3mm wider than my old rotor, and this only happened on one side. wtf happened
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM

Did you compress the piston back into the caliper all the way? that sounds like the issue if things aren't fitting right...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Going cheap on brakes just seems foolish to me.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Did you compress the piston back into the caliper all the way? that sounds like the issue if things aren't fitting right...
yes i did compress both pistons the problem was a frozen slider, i just hit it with the torch and it came right out, then i greased it up really good. now i have now problem with them, they are decent rotors as good as stock.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Irotors.com

These are solid all the way through, Slotted and Cross Drilled (Yeah I know)

But they are extremely nice and under priced for the quality

I run them with EBC Green Pads and get very little dust and great stopping power I've never used them, but my next set of pads will be the EBC Reds now though

Quick Reply: Thouhgts on Brake Rotors?