Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

96 z rear brake h clip

Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 PM

96 z rear brake h clip

Hi All.
I a replacing the rear rotors/pads because the outer pad on the right side got down to bare metal. The warning squeal never happened; just a horrible grinding sound (the "squealer" was broken off). When I removed the caliper, a small h shaped piece of metal fell out. I have searched this forum and found several references to this clip, but I didn't find anything telling/showing me exactly how to install it. I debated leaving it out, but leaving a part out of the brakes without knowing exactly what it does seems like a bad idea. So does putting it in wrong. The new pads did come with replacements. What happens if I leave it out? Does anyone have a picture of this clip in place?

Thanks,
Leon

Old 12-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Re: 96 z rear brake h clip

Is it part #17 in this diagram (courtesy of Shoebox):

GM refers to that as a "shim". In the 1996 factory manual, is it part #10, and the disassembly Step 7 is "Discard shim". Step 1 in the install procedure is "New shim". Did you get one for each side with the new pads? There is no additional detail in the manual that I see, regarding the purpose of the shim, how it fits in. or how to check the need for a shim. Gotta be 20 years since I replaced my rear pads, and I don't remember that detail. Step 2 of the install is "New inner and outer pads", and that includes a paragraph on the importance of checking the parking brake free travel.

Free download of 1996 factory service manual (courtesy of GaryDoug):

http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Old 12-27-2018, 02:59 PM

HI Fred.
Thanks for responding. Yes it is part 17 on that diagram. The pads did come with two new shims. I only jacked up the passenger side of the car; I guess I'll jack up the other side and see if this clip is in place. Maybe that will tell me where it goes The passenger side was destroyed - the springs on the pads were gone, the outer pad was down to the backing plate and the outer 3/4 inch of the rotor was ground down. I saw the clip through the opening in the caliper, but it was in there at an angle and then fell out when I removed the caliper.
I will be sure to check the parking brake when I'm done. Thanks for the link to the manual. I have a Haynes manual which is often helpful, but not in this case.
Not a lot of activity on these forums any more. I'm glad you're still around. I wonder what percentage of 4th gen f bodies are still on the road? Mine has 211k on it, and I've had to do a lot of repairs, especially in the last 5 years or so.
Leon
Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 PM

I think the inside of the caliper has a groove for the spring to sit in.
It could face either way but iirc one side of the h is longer?Mitch
Old 12-28-2018, 08:53 AM

That H clip/spring applies a positional pressure to the pads.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:17 PM

Thanks! I've been sick since last week so I haven't worked on this. I appreciate your input.
Leon
Old 01-03-2019, 03:20 PM

That's what I've been looking for! I see the "Shim" in there behind the pads and can even tell which end goes where. it was out of place on mine, probably because the springs were broken off the pads. I hope to get to work on this tomorrow. Thanks a lot for providing this!
Leon