Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Sub-Frame Install Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:15 PM

Sub-Frame Install Costs?

How much did it cost you guys/gals to get your sub-frames welded in? I got the BMR ones and the first shop I called wanted $80. I asked him how long it would take and he said 40 min. $80 dollars is alot to me for less than an hour of work. Is there something I'm missing here, is there removal involved? I thought they just put it up there and weld it on. Is $80 dollars a normal install price? Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 06:31 PM

There is some slight prep work that has to be done....Its not just stick and weld.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:20 PM

80 bucks sounds good to me. I paid 100 bucks to put them on and it took a little over an hour. They are not simple weld on like the ads make you think. The SLP ones I got (I was told their diamond weld on was the best) need to bolt onto the rear, the center and are welded onto the front. I watched the guy put mine on and sure am glad I didn't try that without a lift

Plus, after they got the car off the lift, the guy jacked up the front passenger side. Three wheels left the ground. I was told that would happen but to see it happen was pretty cool
Old 03-30-2004, 08:39 PM

Anywhere from $50-100 is the norm.

Just make sure to shoot the welds with an undercarriage paint to keep it from rusting.

I still have to do that
Old 03-30-2004, 11:58 PM

A prominent shop by my house want's to charge $80 to install SLP diamonds. Normal price I guess.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:20 AM

I paid $60 for both BMR subframes and LCA brackets. I ended up having to get it done at a small garage back home where they knew me... no "speed" shops around here and no one else wanted to touch it.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:46 AM

I only paid something like $25 to have both my exhaust and SFC's welded up on the Camaro last summer. I think the main reason was because it was a Muffler Shop that had recently opened and the two guys running the place were guys that I'd known from high school. Neither one of them had welded SFC's in before so I helped them out by showing where they mounted up and where to scuff the SFC's to prep for the welds. It was overall a pretty damn simple install.

I was very happy with their work and the price

Last edited by MysticTeal 95 V6; 03-31-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:19 AM

I haven't had much luck finding a cheap place where I live. If you check the BMR website there is a set of instructions there that predicts about a 2.5 hr install time.

At what seems to be an average of about $70 / hr labor costs I've been quoted as high as $250. That was at a local speed shop that had done them before and said that the Camaros are harder to do than Mustangs and it's probably 3.5 - 4 hrs. All of the local places that have experience with it are saying at least $150.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by SP99SS
I haven't had much luck finding a cheap place where I live. If you check the BMR website there is a set of instructions there that predicts about a 2.5 hr install time.

At what seems to be an average of about $70 / hr labor costs I've been quoted as high as $250. That was at a local speed shop that had done them before and said that the Camaros are harder to do than Mustangs and it's probably 3.5 - 4 hrs. All of the local places that have experience with it are saying at least $150.
3.5-4hrs?! It took two guys w/ no experience less than 30 minutes to complete both sides. That includes the time it took for them to get some flat black rust preventative paint to spray on the welds.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:28 PM

You should get some KY with that $80 fee.

Check out some mufler shops or weld/fab shops.

I agree.. ~30 min job for a first timer, start to finish.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:38 PM

i had mine done in san francisco for $50. it's a good idea to make sure that they get welded in with the full weight of the car on the suspension.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by jthomas
it's a good idea to make sure that they get welded in with the full weight of the car on the suspension.
Wah? I had mine put on at Ryan's Performance and they told me they have done hundreds of Sub Frame installs and they had my baby on the lift. The car still does feel stiffer, squeaks gone and launching is easier, which is why I got the SFCs so I'm happy.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Pewter Z
Wah?
the alignment of the unibody will be different with the wheels off of the ground... you don't want to weld a "spring" into the chassis of the car.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 PM

cool, thanks for all the posts, I'm much more educated now. I'll check other prices, but at least its not the highest quote. If I had known what I know now, I would say get bolt ons, you guys agree?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:48 AM

i paid 50bucks at a muffler shop little corner gas station/muffler shop they never did an install of subframes they mostly get the riced out honduhs to come get a chrome 5" muffler installed. I had to go under the car and show them how to do it basically but i knew the son of the owner so i got a discount kinda .

oh i have the SLP diamond weld ins.... i wanted the bolt ons but the weld ins are cheaper

Quick Reply: Sub-Frame Install Costs?