Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SFC's on a hardtop f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM

SFC's on a hardtop f-body?

Would it be worth it and noticeable? I know the t-top ones need them, but will they still make a difference on a hardtop model?

Also who makes the lightest ones?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Re: SFC's on a hardtop f-body?

its definitely worth it. i dont know which are the best, but im liking the umi ones.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM
ZZ

I used them on my hardtop and they made a world of difference.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM

I have Umi 3-point bolt ins on my ttop car and I love them. It feels much more rigid. Now I need shocks and tires
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by z28 justin
I have Umi 3-point bolt ins on my ttop car and I love them. It feels much more rigid. Now I need shocks and tires
I was looking at the 3 point ones too - do you know how much they weigh?

I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:45 AM

I believe the hard tops are no stronger than the t-top roof. If I"m not mistaking all of them are cut for t-tops and the hard tops just have a thin fiberglass cover. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So, that being said SFC are a good idea and will make a difference. I made my own for about $20.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 93zder
Would it be worth it and noticeable? I know the t-top ones need them, but will they still make a difference on a hardtop model?

Also who makes the lightest ones?
The hardtop cars are really no more structurally solid than T-top cars. Anyone who has done a t-top conversion can confirm this.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by 93zder
I was looking at the 3 point ones too - do you know how much they weigh?

I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible.
I installed UMI 3 point weld in SFCs in my 93z and I can tell you that they weigh a tonne. I would like to know the weight myself, I wish I weighted them before install, because ever since I bought the car all I did is add weight to it. If I had to guess I would say 30-35 lbs for both of them, but they are worth it. You could get in touch with UMI and find out.
If you want to save weight I think 2 point are probably half the weight of 3 point, if not more.

Last edited by alex-z28; 06-09-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I believe the hard tops are no stronger than the t-top roof. If I"m not mistaking all of them are cut for t-tops and the hard tops just have a thin fiberglass cover. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ........
The hardtop chassis has steel rails above the windows. They definitely provide more structural rigidity to the upper chassis than the t-top cars that have those rails cut out.

But it doesn't matter - SFC's are a good idea for ALL 4th Gens.

Courtesy of grippenfleter:

Old 06-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Great pics! I've also heard the hard tops are about 150 pounds lighter?

Regardless, I will seaech to find the lightest yet most rigid SFC's - not sure I'm sold on the 3 point ones at this point.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Mystery Bird
I believe the hard tops are no stronger than the t-top roof. If I"m not mistaking all of them are cut for t-tops and the hard tops just have a thin fiberglass cover. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So, that being said SFC are a good idea and will make a difference. I made my own for about $20.
6SpdLT1Z
The hardtop cars are really no more structurally solid than T-top cars. Anyone who has done a t-top conversion can confirm this.
My hardtop is waaaaay stiffer than a t-top. Anyone whose driven or even ridden in both can tell an immediate difference. I've had mine for 17 yrs and back when I first got it the service manager at the dealer would always comment on how my car seemed to ride so much better than other firebirds/formulas/trans ams he's ridden in. I figured out later it's because of the stiffer hardtop because a friend bought a v6 t-top and when I rode in it I immediately noticed the torsional flex SLOP in the body because of the top. Most of the cars the service manager had ridden in were t-tops because there's a lot more of them. I'm sooo glad I have a hardtop

Last edited by will.b.brown; 11-06-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 PM

Oh and there's no real difference in the weight of the two bodystyles unless someone wants to correct me and say the glass panels weigh 150 lbs.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by will.b.brown
My hardtop is waaaaay stiffer than a t-top. Anyone whose driven or even ridden in both can tell an immediate difference.
Did you not look at the pictures? The top is designed identically the same. Pretty much replacing sheet metal with glass. I've owned 2 hardtop and 2 t-top 4th gens, and noticed minimal to no difference.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator

The 1995 Camaro factory shipping weights show that the T-top option adds 12.3#.

Camaro Technical Database
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM

@ 6spdlt1z

YOU need to look back at the pics YOURSELF. There is a whole OBVIOUS section of steel frame above the windows on each side (in the pics) that has been cut away in order to install t-tops. Thus removing much stiffness from the frame. I can see this in the pics from Injuneer why can't you. I don't know how you can't tell the difference. Injuneer knows, ask him.

Quick Reply: SFC's on a hardtop f-body?