Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Problem with torque arm fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Problem with torque arm fitting?

I've been trying to install my BMR torque arm but for the life of me I can't get the holes to line up. I can get the bottom ones but the tops ones are off...I have a 12-bolt (Moser) so I don't know if this makes a difference. I would grind the holes bigger but the back one doesn't have enough metal to make it much bigger. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Did you install it on the tranny first?

where's the pinion-angle adjustment at?

Did you mount the bracket on the axle first then the TA to the bracket? This normally works better.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:34 AM

the bracket and the TA are one piece, It's not bolted to the tranny, I've been raising and lowering the rear trying to find the right angle, bottem line, the holes just don't line up...I'm going to grind them out best I can and cross my fingers....just keep in mind next time you guys are order anything from BMR....
Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Raising and lowering the rear isn't likely to solve the problem. You have to "rotate" the rear axle assembly around the LCA pivot points. Either push up on the pinion, or push up on the rear cover, depending which way you need to rotate the assembly.

The question about the adjustment in the post above is also relevant. If you lengthen or shorten the adjuster, is should rotate the rear axle mounting bracket forward or backward to help the holes align.

Grinding the bolt holes larger, IMO is a major mistake. BMR already will not guarantee your TA because you are mounting it on the Moser rear with the 4 independant bolts. Grinding the hole in the TA mount larger is only going to increase the chances of the mount tearing apart if one of the bolts loosens up the least bit.

This does not appear to be BMR's fault.... they warn you on their website about the possible problems with the Moser 12-bolt, and its been discussed on this forum.