CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/)
-   -   Front strut replacement help '95 Z28 (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/front-strut-replacement-help-95-z28-882076/)

KYWes 04-02-2015 10:15 AM

Front strut replacement help '95 Z28

Would appreciate some good suggestions for getting the strut mount off the Bilstein struts on the front of my '95 Z28 Conv.

I have the engine/k-frame out of the car. The tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. are all loose from the control arms. I'm actually in the process of replacing virtually all of the front suspension components.

Lots of rust and the upper bolt holding the strut mount on is not coming off.

I realize there are flat spots on the top of the strut rod so you can put a wrench on to hold the strut from spinning but even doing that I can't break the nut loose.

I have it soaking in PB Blaster. I haven't tried heat yet.

Also what is the method for removing the lower mount for the coil spring?

TIA

Injuneer 04-02-2015 11:41 AM

Re: Front strut replacement help '95 Z28

I've seen some so bad that the shock shaft had to be cut. If you are trying to salvage the shock, there's not much you can try other than grind the nut off, or grind through the nut and the metal ferrule that is in the upper spring/shock mount. Make sure the spring compressor is securely attached, and keeping the load off the seat.

Do you mean how do you get the lower spring mount off the shock (its not a "strut", it's a coil-over shock) barrel? If it's like the stocker, tap it gently with a hammer, working your way around the edge.

KYWes 04-02-2015 04:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to my attempts.

KYWes 04-03-2015 07:51 PM

Well with careful use of a Dremel and an air hammer, I was able to get the bolt off the shock and not ruin the threads of my Bilstein shock.

Lower control arms are out and new ones have arrived from Rockauto. New upper control arms and upper shock mounts are on order with Pepboys (who have missed their estimated delivery date and can't/won't give me a firm date) and new upper control arm supports and coil springs are on order from Graham Camaros and Firebirds.

Now for a day of rest at work tomorrow.

KYWes 04-03-2015 07:59 PM

With judicious use of a Dremel tool and air hammer I was able to cut the shock mount bolt off without damaging the threads on my Bilstein shock. Whew!

Lower and upper control arms and all four tie rod ends are off ready for new replacements.

When I get finished I'll have new lower and upper control arms with new ball joints on both sides. New inner and outer tie rod ends. New sway bar links, new wheel hubs, brake calipers, brake hoses, pads, and rotors.