Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Discreet Roll Cage for 2G Camaro Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:06 AM

Discreet Roll Cage for 2G Camaro Please Help

Hi im Max and i have almost enough money to buy one of my dream cars, a 1979 Camaro Z28. In the light of not wanting to die, or be completely crippled if i happen to get in a crash, i need to invest a roll cage. So here i am, after searching the internet for nearly 5 hours, to get some advice from more experienced people on a roll cage. The reason im looking for a discreet roll cage is because i want the Camaro to be street car and it will be my daily driver. Thank you all in advance!!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Re: Discreet Roll Cage for 2G Camaro Please Help

Just to clarify,,,, a "roll cage" or a "roll bar"? If you go by the NHRA definitions, they are two distinctly different setups. A "bar" is fairly easy to make discrete. A roll cage is a major challenge.because of the "halo" and the front bars going down through or near the dash. This is the S&W catalog for roll bars and roll cages. Take a look and see what configuration might meet your needs.

https://www.swracecars.com/store/Rol...-OSCAR_24.aspx

The second question would be does this have to meet the regulations of any organization like NHRA, SCCA, etc.?
Old 02-23-2019, 04:54 PM

I probably want to go more for a cage rather than a bar because the camaro in the crash test videos from the 70s are not very reassuring. I also don't need it to meet any regulations because its really just gonna be a street car, not drag/track car. It's really mostly a peace of mind type thing, so that i know if i crash my passenger and myself will be able to walk away from it it decent shape.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Administrator

You're not going to find ready-made solution to a "discrete" full cage for a 2nd Gen. It will take the skills of an experienced chassis builder to custom design and install what you want.

You concern over the crash-worthiness on the 2nd Gens seems excessive. Even NHRA doesn't require a full cage until the vehicle is capable of running under 10.00 second 1/4-miles, and at speeds in excess of 130 MPH. And keep in mind, adding hard metal cage structure to the inside of a street car adds a significant danger of increased head injuries when heads hit steel. Even the NHRA required SFI-rated padding is fairly hard, since it's designed to protect a HELMETTED head.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 PM

You do make a good point, maybe i was just being a little paranoid. I should probably just lay it to rest. Thank you for the help!!!