CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/)
-   -   ABS module & Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/abs-module-brakes-870572/)

JC89CamroKid 12-06-2012 09:31 AM

ABS module & Brakes

I have a 94 V6, and I'm putting a disk rear end of a 2000 Firebird, When I go to purchase some brakes do i have to get 00" Firebird brakes or can I get the 94 brakes??

Another question, My ABS module is either bad or is bad, does it matter if i get one that came off a drum or disk rearend,also i was told to use only 93-97 ABS modules. is that true??

Zfbod94 12-06-2012 09:53 AM

Re: ABS module & Brakes

You have to go with the brakes off the '00 firebird. Actually any brakes from 98-02 camaros and firebirds. Otherwise you would have to switch the backing plates to the '93-'97 system. You will also need the all the E-brake cables and rear hoses from the 98-02, unless they came with it when you bought it.

That rear should be set up as a 4 channel abs system, so the 93-97 module wont work. Im not sure if the 98-02 module would work either, because of the abs computer in the vehicle. Tough situation there. The 93-97 rear has the abs sensor in the pumpkin, the 98-02 has 2 abs sensors, one at each wheel

Injuneer 12-06-2012 10:17 PM

The ABS (only) cars have the single wheel speed sensor on top of the differential housing (3-channel). The ABS + TCS cars have a wheel speed sensor on each end of the axle housing (4-channel). Beginning in 95, the F-Body was available with traction control, so the rear axle assembly had a 3-channel rear as the standard, and a 4-channel rear that came when the optional TCS (TCS on Firebird = ASR in the Camaro) was selected. 98-02 cars also had 3-channel system for ABS and 4-channel for ABS + TCS.

So, since the 94 did not have TCS available, he needs a 3-channel rear axle from any year - 1993 through 2002.

If the 2000 axle has the disc brakes intact, you would buy replacement parts for a 2000. Note that the e-brake cable setup is different between the 93-97 rear discs and the 98-02 rear discs, and will have to be reworked to put a 2000 rear in a 1994 chassis.

The EBCM (electronic brake control module = the ABS computer) interfaces with the PCM, and has to be compatible. That would seem to require that a 94 chassis/PCM requires a 94-97 EBCM. If you mean the ABS motor assembly, that needs to be 3-channel, and I don't know if you could mix one from a drum brake car with your disc brake rear.

Zfbod94 12-07-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 6927277)
The ABS (only) cars have the single wheel speed sensor on top of the differential housing (3-channel). The ABS + TCS cars have a wheel speed sensor on each end of the axle housing (4-channel). Beginning in 95, the F-Body was available with traction control, so the rear axle assembly had a 3-channel rear as the standard, and a 4-channel rear that came when the optional TCS (TCS on Firebird = ASR in the Camaro) was selected. 98-02 cars also had 3-channel system for ABS and 4-channel for ABS + TCS.

So, since the 94 did not have TCS available, he needs a 3-channel rear axle from any year - 1993 through 2002.

If the 2000 axle has the disc brakes intact, you would buy replacement parts for a 2000. Note that the e-brake cable setup is different between the 93-97 rear discs and the 98-02 rear discs, and will have to be reworked to put a 2000 rear in a 1994 chassis.

The EBCM (electronic brake control module = the ABS computer) interfaces with the PCM, and has to be compatible. That would seem to require that a 94 chassis/PCM requires a 94-97 EBCM. If you mean the ABS motor assembly, that needs to be 3-channel, and I don't know if you could mix one from a drum brake car with your disc brake rear.

/\ Thats what I was trying to say. I suck at putting words together. Thanks for clarifying that for the OP. Your the man!!

JC89CamroKid 07-19-2013 11:44 AM

Thanks for the help guys!! :) Got the rear end in, lowered, but that damn ABS is still on, So if worse comes to it just deal with the ABS INOP light being on?? If I can find a shop out here in AZ that can fix my situation, ill let you guys know. 1994 Camaro with 2000 Firebird disk rear end?? I hope I figure this out soon.