Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS delete, Dash ABS/BRAKE light

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 PM

ABS delete, Dash ABS/BRAKE light

I have deleted the ABS main box and am wondering how to take care of the lights in the dash that are on due to it.

I am seeing the ABS inop light as well as the BRAKE light. Does anyone know which wires powers the bulbs so I can just cut them so that I do not have to tear into my dash. Can these be deleted through programming?

I would just take the bulbs out but my dash pad has a crack and I do not want it to crank anymore, also do not want any squeeks or rattles.

Here is a pic if you are wondering what it looks like deleted.
http://12.217.21.69/MFBA/LJ93Z28GM/100_0101.JPG
Old 09-22-2004, 05:05 PM

Re: ABS delete, Dash ABS/BRAKE light

Both drivers come from the EBCM. I belive the amber inop light is the Light green and the red brake light is tan and white. They should be a ground signal. Without looking at a diagram I am not sure why they would be coming on with the EBCM unhooked unless the circiut is redundent to ground.

Either way. if you prevent ground the the 2 wires the lights will not come on. But you will also lose the red brake light when you use the e brake and you could set some trouble codes as well, I'm not sure.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:31 PM

Instead of cutting wires, why not just remove the instrument cluster and pull it apart and either remove the bulb (if possible on a Z, not possible on a T/A) or use a piece of black cloth or something to block the port the light shines through.

I recently dissected a 97 T/A cluster for the same purpose of blocking a couple of lights out. If yours is anything like that one, it's really simple, and you DON'T have to remove the needles.

First remove the cluster. The back plastic cover (black) is held on by a couple of tabs. Remove it. The circuit board is held on by two screws on either side of the wiring connection. Remove those screws, and gently pry the cirtuit board up. It's going to be stuck on there because each gauge has 4 pins that go into slots on the circuit board. They're NOT soldered, so you don't have to worry about that. Once the circuit board is free, you can look at the front piece and see the spacer has it's own area for each "idiot light." Identify which lights you want to delete both on the circuit board and in the front face, and either remove the bulb or block it's respective area on the front piece.

Viola, no more light.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 PM

unplug the EBCM
Old 09-22-2004, 10:18 PM

What exactly is the EBCM, electronic brake control module. Just taking a long shot guess.

Fastbird 93, i wrote as to why i am not taking the cluster out.

Where is this module located? Inside the center console since that is where the e brake is. I have never heard of it before. I feel like a novice again.

As for the wires cutting guess i should get a manual alot of the wire has been different on 93 versus newer year.

Talked to my buddy and he said the EBCM is within the ABS unit so that means it is unplugged and I am seeing the lights on the dash still.

anyone??????

Last edited by LJ93Z28GM; 09-24-2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:12 AM

TTT

anyone

Originally Posted by LJ93Z28GM
What exactly is the EBCM, electronic brake control module. Just taking a long shot guess.

Fastbird 93, i wrote as to why i am not taking the cluster out.

Where is this module located? Inside the center console since that is where the e brake is. I have never heard of it before. I feel like a novice again.

As for the wires cutting guess i should get a manual alot of the wire has been different on 93 versus newer year.

Talked to my buddy and he said the EBCM is within the ABS unit so that means it is unplugged and I am seeing the lights on the dash still.

anyone??????