Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

67 Camaro Rack and pinion Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:53 PM

67 Camaro Rack and pinion Steering Question

I am in the process of a 67 camaro buildup. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do for the front suspension. I would love airbags up front to adjust the ride height but not sure how it will handle so adjustable coil overs are not out of the picture. It is going to be a street car with occasional track time. I just want it to stick to the road and ride well. Any way, does anyone have any info on rack and pinion steering for these cars. I have read about a few of the various "conversion kits" and its a mixed response. Some say the bumpsteer is horrible and some say there is no bumpsteer. Does anyone know of a power rack and pinion for another vehicle that will work with the first gen. I know I will have to fabricate mounting brackets, etc. but that is no problem. The stock steering on the car is in bad shape and I am so used to the rack and pinion steering so I would like to go that route but why are the "conversion kits" so expensive. Some are a GM rack and pinion with acouple a mounting brackets and steering arms. I thought you could get a rack and pinion for around $150-$175 (at least my 94 Formula was). Anyway any suggestions are appreciated
Old 10-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Re: 67 Camaro Rack and pinion Steering Question

Anyone
Old 10-09-2006, 09:01 PM

Re: 67 Camaro Rack and pinion Steering Question

i've seen a few rack+pinion systems for 1st gens but i havent heard any negative comments but i havent heard much anyway
i'm pretty sure if you go for a quality engineered piece you'll have no problems with bump steer

its a shame we dont have as many 1st and 2nd gen guys as we do 3rd and 4th gen