Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

Driveshaft GP?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 10:31 AM

Re: Driveshaft GP?

How do you know they allow flex? Of all the materials listed (steel, al, CF), steel would flex the most and carbon the least. Carbon is very stiff material, so stiff that if you whacked the side of a carbon shaft you could break it fairly easily. Whack a steel or al and you dent it. Have you ever run a carbon shaft?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:00 AM

The bending stiffness of carbon fiber is nearly three times that of titanium. Although some experts are under the impression that carbon-fiber driveshafts are actually too stiff - a driveshaft needs to absorb some of the shock load from the engine before transmitting it to the drive wheels - a perfectly rigid shaft would shock load the wheels so violently that almost no traction would be available. This shaft stiffness is called torsional spring rate and is measured in in.-lbs. per degree of twist. The carbon-fiber driveshaft has a lower torsional spring rate with higher absorption qualities that either steel or the larger 3.0-inch-diameter aluminum shaft.

Carbon fiber is the best driveshaft you can possibly buy in every way except for cost, but you get what you pay for. Oh and as far as the carbon shaft shattering if hit, that is a safety feature. I would much rather have a shaft disintigrate on impact instead of coming up through my floor board and taking off my legs.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Just buy a safety loop. Nothing coming up through the floor.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:57 PM

I want to know how much they all weigh!

1. Stock steel
2. Chromemoly
3. Aluminum

Then give me prices. Since my driveshaft and M6 is out this would be the perfect time to get a new one.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:33 AM

Sorry for the delay, we just got back from the Thunder Race. Here are the prices on the different shafts. These shaft prices all include a slip yoke & 1350 u joints.

3" aluminum - $330.00 plus shipping
3.5" aluminum - $365.00 plus shipping

3" DOM steel - $235.00 plus shipping
3.5" DOM steel - $255.00 plus shipping

3" Chromemoly - $330.00

These only take 2 days to build. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 11:24 AM

I have a few questions on the usages of the different shafts that you mention there. What is the power rating and recommended usage for the 3" and 3.5" aluminum and the chromoly shafts and the weight? Do you recommend using the aluminum shafts with a 650rwhp setup with nitrous that will be used in a drag racing application? How do the weights compare between the steel, CrMo, and aluminum shafts? Who makes the shafts? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:44 PM

If you are looking at using a aluminum shaft with 650rwhp, I would go with the 3.5" version. The 3" will not last long at that power level. For your application i would say to use a chromemoly shaft. In 3" you will have no problem with the power level you are looking to make. Not sure on weight for your shaft, depends on length needed. The differences between all 3 types would be the same differences that are found in the weights of the different metals. i am just not sure what that is off the top of my head. Steel will be the heaviest, than chromemoly and lastly aluminum. These shafts are made by a company local to us. They have been making driveshatfs for a long time.

Thanks,