Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

Delteq GP

Old 05-19-2004, 08:56 AM

Delteq Opti-Direct Ignition

Update: This Sale will end on 12/31/04

Delteq Opti-Direct system on sale. Prices start at just $327.95

New Delteq accessories you can only get from. Elitesparkplugs.com

Update:
10/1/04 New Powder coated brackets: click here to see the install

Allot of you have requested that I offer custom color Sparkplug wire sets for the Delteq Units. We know have custom color wires sets available for the Delteq System. Sparkplug wire sets will range from 8-10 mm ... (Please call for prices)
Optional HIGH TEMPERATURE SLEEVING available
(Can withstand up to 1200 deg. F)

Colors available for 8 mm
Black
Blue
Neon Green
Red
Yellow
Chrome Finish

Colors available for 9mm
BLUE
Red

Colors available for 10 mm (soild core wires: racing use only)
Blue
Red

Delteq igniton prices:
sales@elitesparkplugs.com

[I]For the price you would pay for a opti and a after-market ignition system you can pick up a Delteq System from me which will out last both !!!!

Part # 102-9011: $595.95
Opti-Direct System for 1993-1997 LT1/LT4
Camaro/Firebird.

Part # 102-9013: $555.95
Opti-Direct System for Universal Applications
(No Ignition Wires or Brackets)

Part # 102-9001: $327.95
Opti-Direct "Bare-Bones" Kit. Complete kit
minus coilpack and spark plug wires.

Part # 302-1010: $39.00
Ignition Wire kit
No cutting required..... plug and go!
1994-1996 Caprice & 1993-1997 F-Body
using Valve cover-mount coil pack.

Part # 302-1011: $39.00
Ignition Wire kit:
no cutting required..... plug and go!
1993-1997 F-Body using radiator-mounted

coil pack.[/B]

Payments accepted: Visa/ Master card or Check

Last edited by Maldo; 01-03-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:23 PM

You know I am in......I will call you later and will send the $$$ to you.

Thx,
Claude
Old 05-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Does the "Bare Bones" kit include the Radiator mount for an F-body?
Thanks
Kris
Old 05-19-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Kris96WS6
Does the "Bare Bones" kit include the Radiator mount for an F-body?
Thanks
Kris
Hi, Part # 102-9001 comes complete with brackets minus coilpack and spark plug wires.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Ok, don't shoot me, but I have been out of the loop for a bit of time.....is there someplace to read more about this product, such as an old thread?
Seems like a great product and I want one too, but I have to ask the obvious, what happens to the Opti?

Please do not bash me, just point me to the info so I can too be well informed!
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by RTICWOLF
Ok, don't shoot me, but I have been out of the loop for a bit of time.....is there someplace to read more about this product, such as an old thread?
Seems like a great product and I want one too, but I have to ask the obvious, what happens to the Opti?

Please do not bash me, just point me to the info so I can too be well informed!
Thanks!

No problem I understand your concern becasue I was in the same boat as you but, after I put this product on my car I was hooked.
Below is all the info on the system and some some background Info on the opti. It's kinda long but good reading ....
take a peak and i would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Jim Maldonado
elitesparkplugs.com

What is Wrong with the Opti-Spark Design?

In theory, the Opti-Spark design is good. In fact, high-resolution engine speed sensing leads to extremely accurate ignition timing, and was a rare occurrence even on high-dollar sports cars back in 1992. In practice however, quite a few things are problematic with GM's execution of the Opti-Spark distributor.

First and foremost, there are the typical wear, heat, and moisture problems associated with a distributor cap and rotor. Since most Chevrolet V8 engines feature an easily accessible rear-mounted distributor, it is not a big deal to change the cap and rotor every 50,000 miles (or sooner in high performance applications). Plus, the availability of standard-style cap and rotor assemblies makes them extremely cheap. These facts do NOT hold true for engines with the Opti-Spark distributor.

From an accessibility standpoint, both the water pump and the crank pulley need to be removed in order to gain access to a failed Opti-Spark distributor. On Camaros and Firebirds in particular, this is not a quick (or fun) job.

From a reliability standpoint, the environment at the front of the engine is notoriously harsh for things like heat, water, and debris (not to mention other variables like leaky front crank seals and worn, leaking water pumps!), but the Opti-Spark distributor is not even sealed on 1992-1994 models! Later versions of the Opti-Spark incorporate a seal and venting provision, but are by no means free of problems.

From a cost standpoint, the Opti-Spark units can retail for well over $400, depending on model year. Dealers have been heard to quote up to $1000 (parts and labor) to replace this item!

To add insult to injury, the Opti-Spark distributor uses a "Correct-a-Cap" design that places the spark plug wire terminals on the proper side of the engine for easy spark plug wire routing. To do this, the terminal traces molded into the distributor cap must come extremely close to one another, which leads to premature arc-over in high-load applications and applications using constant high-voltage (Capacitive Discharge) ignitions. Not good.

But not all is completely defective on the Opti-Spark distributor. Inherently, the optical sensors are fairly robust. One thing that can lead to their failure is excessive moisture buildup. The sensors are sealed fairly well from moisture, but they are not a true hermetic seal. For most applications, the sensors are not the cause of most problems. To prove this fact, Mitsubishi manufactures the Opti-Spark sensors, and variations on these same sensors can be found on most late model Mitsubishi and Nissan applications. Reliability problems on the Nissan and Mitsubishi vehicles that use the optical sensors are not present in anywhere near the same quantity as the LT1 and L99 engines. This is not to suggest that the Opti-Spark sensors are completely bulletproof; any electrical system can fail over time.

The Delteq Opti-Direct Solution

The Delteq Opti-Direct system solves the problems of the Opti-Spark cap and rotor. To do this, a patent-pending Electronic Interface Module (dubbed the "Opti-Box") is mounted in place of the stock ignition module and coil assembly. The signals from the Opti-Spark sensors are sent to the Opti-Box, and signals are generated to drive a multi-coil Direct Ignition (DI) system, which is completely distributorless!

The DI system consists of four high-output ignition coils fired independently of the Opti-Spark's distributor cap and rotor. As a result, cap and rotor wear is no longer a factor in the equation. From a performance perspective, the distributorless ignition system is able to produce longer dwell time than a single coil system, even at high engine speeds (more coils equals more charge time for each coil!).

The use of aftermarket Capacitive Discharge ignitions with the Delteq Opti-Direct system is also a possibility, since there is no longer the chance of arc-over in the distributor cap. High-load engines will benefit from this fact as well.

The beauty of the Opti-Direct system is in its simplicity. No work needs to be done to the Opti-Spark distributor. In fact, we recommend just leaving it alone! This means that the water pump and crank pulley can stay ON the engine.

Included with the Opti-Direct system are the following items: Opti-Box, complete wiring harness, coil pack with application-specific bracketry, application specific 8mm spark plug wires, all requisite fasteners, and detailed instructions. Experienced "driveway mechanics" will be able to perform the install in under three hours!

Delteq offers a limited, written, one-year warranty on ALL parts of the Opti-Direct Stage 1 System. The Opti-Direct Stage 1 System has been submitted for CARB-legality. We will supply CARB-legality information when we obtain permission to do so. Since no changes are made to engine tuning or spark advance, this should be a quick process.

Last edited by Maldo; 05-19-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:39 PM

Never mind, found the stuff! LOL!

So, basically the Opti is left right in place and only the optical sensor portion is used to determine the timing, right? How common is sensor failure? Does not appear to be very common so this should be a very good solution for sure!

I'd still like to read some threads about it if someone could point them out, I would be very happy! Also, what was your experience since you have istalled it? How good are the coils that come with this or would I be better off getting some Accel or MSD coil packs? Well, count me in to get one though as its a great concept and since I have a new Opti, I will not have to change that sucker again!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:26 PM

Go

How a bout a kit with everything including the wires for a radiator mount but minus the coil pack.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by MarkyMark; 09-14-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:22 PM

Do they make a wire kit that is more like an LS1's wires because I have Jet Hot Lt's and dont need that long of a wire. Is there any pictures of the radiator mount system that anyone knows of maybe that system would allow me to continue to run the OVC wire system that I currently have. I'm really intrested in this system but it seems like alot of money that could be very well spent.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by MarkyMark
How a bout a kit with everything including the wires for a radiator mount but minus the coil pack.

Hi Thie price would be $366.95 For the Bare bones kit plus Ignition wires.

Below is a break down of part numbers and prices for your request:

Part # 102-9001: $327.95
Opti-Direct "Bare-Bones" Kit. Complete kit
minus coilpack and spark plug wires.

Part # 302-1011: $39.00
Ignition Wire kit:
no cutting required..... plug and go!
1993-1997 F-Body using radiator-mounted
coil pack.

Thank You
Jim Maldonado
http://www.elitesparkplugs.com
Old 05-21-2004, 09:35 AM

would you happen to hae pictures with the coils mounted on both the vavle covers and one with it mounted on the radiator
Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by duckhead4life
would you happen to hae pictures with the coils mounted on both the vavle covers and one with it mounted on the radiator

Hi,

Here is mounted on the valve cover

http://elitesparkplugs.com/Projectcars.html

At the tie this is the only goos picture I have with it mounted on the radiator:
http://www.delteq.com/opti_kit_image4.htm
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 PM

I noticed that on the radiator mount that it is right at the bottom of it. How will a radiator failure ( bad leak ) effect this system. What about puddles and just water in general? Is it water proof? Thanks for the info. Anything that takes out the opti is well worth while.

Matt
Old 05-21-2004, 09:00 PM

You really have my interest peaked. I think my opit is giving me problems right now. Question; as you can see from my sig, I am anything but stock. I have and aftermarket coil (crane). Do I still need the coil pack from you???? and do your wires come in different colors??? Now I have Taylor OVC. in red.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by BLDun
You really have my interest peaked. I think my opit is giving me problems right now. Question; as you can see from my sig, I am anything but stock. I have and aftermarket coil (crane). Do I still need the coil pack from you???? and do your wires come in different colors??? Now I have Taylor OVC. in red.

HI i just sent you a pm with a break down to your questions

THX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Delteq GP