Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

Arizona Speed And Marine TB GP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:49 AM

Re: Arizona Speed And Marine TB GP

Originally Posted by TCAL95Z
I'm still trying to find out if the Mono blade is going to work for me. There just isn't much information on it.
Here's what I've got on the mono-blade:
  • 1) it looks WAY cool from the front.
  • 2) you can't tell at all when the bellows is installed.
  • 3) Flow rates on the dual 58mm TB's are higher than any N/A small block could dream of... monoblade MAY flow more for nitrous guys, but we're talking 4-digits hp here. In a boosted application it's pointless again... but in a TB situation it doesn't really matter, can't have TOO much.
  • 4) there is NO idle passage/circuit with the mono-blade design... you'll need to drill the blades for idle air and then hope you can tune out any split BLM's it may cause.
  • 5) Automatic guys are really gonna hate either one initally. Some find the 52mm or 54mm is a perfect swap from stock, but by the time you get to 58mm+ the amount of air flow vs. throttle angle (%) is really changing from stock settings. As a result you need to adjust the shift parrameters to avoid soft shifts and burnt converters. Manual guys are unaffected, it just feels "more crisp" or "responsive" as the air flow allowed in is greater for the same part-throttle position you used in the 48mm.
Not saying it's all right, but that's what I've read and it seems to make sense. Granted there's a bigger discount on the mono-blade than the 58mm, but it's still more cash and you inherit the "no idle circuit" issue.

Automatic guys either will require LT1_Edit or Tunercat tuning to get things done... although there WAS some talk of a custom cam to solve the 58mm issue... but I got tired of the calculus involved (shouldn't be too rough though if your good with mathcad).

Last edited by Steve in Seattle; 07-28-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by CMSDave
Let's get it going you guys, still 6 and holding.
What happened to the 10+ guys on the original thread?
Had to push it back a few weeks... Getting paid next Friday so if it's still up and available I'm seriously looking at 58mm (broke some hockey gear so I had to dip into my "toys" account go figure)

wow... just notice the price is listed as SHIPPED. Great deal.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:55 AM

Thats some interesting info,

Dave can you check with AZ S&M and see what they advise being done for idle and BLMs with the mono blade?

If thats true I'm not sure that is going to be for me

Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
Here's what I've got on the mono-blade:[*]4) there is NO idle passage/circuit with the mono-blade design... you'll need to drill the blades for idle air and then hope you can tune out any split BLM's
Dave (or anyone else) what's your take on this...
I'm undecided between the 58mm and the Monoblade
Old 07-28-2004, 08:46 AM

The monoblade still uses the IAC. It is just routed to the common plenum. I am going to leave the idle air hole intact at the front of the intake and try mounting a small elbow in there in order to utilize the separate idle circuit.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:11 PM

Lets go guys...

I just ordered a monoblade
Old 07-28-2004, 01:42 PM

Wow, see what a little guilt trip does?

I talked to Ben at AS&M and we pretty much agreed on the setups that should or should not see a mono-blade.
Their are big-block cars that live comfortably with this unit, so it's cfm capabilities are awesome.
We have it on our F1R 383 that pushes just over 800+ to the wheels.
RPM and capacity still dictate the use of one of these.
He and I agreed that if you are a 383 or better living in the upper rpm band consistently, you would benefit form the mono-blade.
A hydraulic 383 making 400 to the wheels is going to live well with a 58mm setup.
The guy who's making 500 to the wheels on his solid roller setup is probably going to take advantage of the mono.
It will most likely take a little from the bottom end torque, but the motor is going to gain on the top end.
A well built, strong pulling setup is going to have gear or stall come into play as well.
I think these parameters are a good guideline:
Bolt-on, H/C cars, 54mm
High RPM or Extended RPM H/C, Hydraulic moderate 355 and 383's, 58mm
Aggressive Hydraulic 383's and beyond, Mono.
This is by no means the rule, just a suggestion.
Orders are up to (8) right now.
If this guideline makes you feel the need to change your order, please feel free to pm me or call.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TCAL95Z
Thats some interesting info,

Dave can you check with AZ S&M and see what they advise being done for idle and BLMs with the mono blade?

If thats true I'm not sure that is going to be for me

Thanks
I was almost going to tell you it was way too much for what you have, and then I saw your forthcoming weaponry.
Nice.
Well, anyone who is gearing up for the task of tuning their solid roller setup, is going to be working a bit on BLM's anyway.
Yes idle charcteristices of the Mono have been a little harder, but it's not like it's a cookie cutter tune for a bolt-on LT1.
Expect a little work for an advantage in flow.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Don2
The monoblade still uses the IAC. It is just routed to the common plenum.
IAC without the IAC circuit in the intake, makes the IAC pointless, or, without function. IOW, IAC circuit (in intake) is part of the package. Without it, the IAC doesn't function as oem intended.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:10 PM

I emailed AS&M (Ben) the first part of the week, regarding the reason for the omission, of the oem IAC circuit, in the TB. Fail to understand the logic. No reply as of yet. Appears it will take a phone call.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Don2
The monoblade still uses the IAC. It is just routed to the common plenum.
yeah, so does the Holley and a few other TB's... most of which cause split blm's... and are fixed by segregating the idle circuit to BEFORE the throttle blades. I think it really comes down to cylinders 1 and 2 pulling more vacume than the idle circuit, and as a result the "open plenum" idle circuit is pointless. Having a passage that uses atmospheric pressure to push air into a vacume is fine... that's how the idle circuit works, but hoping that a circuit open to a vacume (the plenum) somehow is going to move air into a slightly harder vacume (the runners) just isn't gonna cut it.

Some find the work around for this is just to elliminate the idle circuit and drill holes in the throttle blades... although you may still get split blm's to deal with this... obvisouly not impossible, quaite a few people make the mono blade (and other aftermarket TB's with an open idle circuit) function. But there will be some additional tuning gremlins to track down.

I am going to leave the idle air hole intact at the front of the intake and try mounting a small elbow in there in order to utilize the separate idle circuit.
Good Idea, that's basicly what a stock TB does, but with the monoblade obviously it's not possible to keep the integrated passage in the middle of the TB. Make sure you post pics/specs... that'd be a killer fix if it works for you. Might take some reworking of the idle circuit (the lower pintle that regulates air flow in the stock/closed design, which is useless in an open configuration).
Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by arnie
I emailed AS&M (Ben) the first part of the week, regarding the reason for the omission, of the oem IAC circuit, in the TB. Fail to understand the logic. No reply as of yet. Appears it will take a phone call.
Good luck getting a reply. I sent two separate emails for info on teh reccomended gaskets for their LT1 headers and havn't heard a thing in months.

I called about a "fully ported" intake they prepped for a car in GMHTP and had to call back 3 times after being placed on infinte hold. Impressed with their products, not so much the customer service or more precisely the "tech support".
Old 07-29-2004, 11:26 AM

I know Jordan Musser ran one with his turbo setup and said it idled fine. Someone might want to email Jordan and ask him how he delt with this issue. At least he answers emails
Old 07-29-2004, 01:08 PM

Does anybody have a good picture of the floor of one of the monoblades? I think there is a hole on either side of the blade. So, I think it is still pulling air from the front side of the plate. I have not seen a good picture of the bottom. Dave, is there a hole on each side ?

Last edited by Don2; 07-29-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:48 PM

hey dave are you shipping these out yet?

Quick Reply: Arizona Speed And Marine TB GP