Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

[Suggestion] History and Special Edition section

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM

History and Special Edition section

Hey Jason, can you make a new section for historical and special edition discussion? I don't like my topics getting moved out of Appearance to the Lounge, when they clearly do NOT fall into "lounge" content but are just barely "appearance" related.

Example: https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749748 this just got moved to the lounge for some stupid reason. It's not completely OFF-TOPIC in the section it is in.

ls1tech has a special edition section I enjoy, but I don't like posting over there as much as here, so I'd like to stay here. I also know more about the '93-'97 Camaros, so posting on ls1tech is... well... a little outside where the posts should actually be--here.

If you'll do this, I'd appreciate you making prefixes mandatory in that section. So you have to select 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation for each and every historical or special edition topic created. If making them mandatory isn't practical, at least make them optional.

I'd also appreciate it if you would move two of my more important and significant topics to that new section if you'll create it.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=728484

and

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=556474

If you need a moderator for this section, and this section only, I would volunteer my time. I've been an administrator/moderator on another major board so I probably know how everything works.

Last edited by Brangeta; 04-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Brandon does have a heck of an archive of 4th generation Camaro knowledge and photos, and I think this would be a pretty good section. We really don't have much of a Camaro history area in here, and I think it's something that current members might want to learn more about or be a part of, and new members can learn a bit about the history of their beloved F-bodies.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM

i think this would be a great idea.

i like to see this kind of stuff but when you do a search or look around the appearance section this tends to get in the way, it obviously does not belong there.

they way it is currently set up the best fit as of right now is the "lounge", but honestly i think it deserves to have its own section, and if we can have 67 sections for the fifth gen i am sure we can add one for the lt1 guys
Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Project Pumpkin II just came up for sale on ebay... I'm getting the urge to make a topic... let's hurry and make a decision!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Project Pumpkin II just came up for sale on ebay... I'm getting the urge to make a topic... let's hurry and make a decision!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

A thread about "Hey I found this rare Firebird for sale" doesn't fit well in the Appearance section. Technically, every car has an appearance. "Off-topic" doesn't necessarily mean "non-Camaro".

I like the idea of a Special Edition section, thought about one a few times...but is that for information or also for people who own special edition vehicles to also post about their specific topics related to only their f-body? I am assuming that this is for editions that can be bought at a dealership as part of a series or a well-known "one off" done by a professional and not a backyard "special edition"?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM

Well... the lounge is full of topics about random junk. I don't look at it, because I only come here to post about Camaros, so I don't have any interest in looking through topics about "Taking mom to shoot on Mothers Day, what do we shoot?", "Sweet! "The First 48" is coming to my city!", and "Biting off more then I can chew? and delaying my "career"" so topics about rare or uncommon f-bodies certainly don't belong in the lounge.

Breaking up the sections could be best. LS1tech's Special Edition section gets a lot of posts about SSes, WS6es, and Firehawks, which I find to be a bit annoying, since they are not quite as limited as many others.

If you want to break it up... it could be:

1967-2002 Historical Discussion
Facts, Reference, History
factory original information, paint codes, RPO codes, restoration reference materials, questions about what is and is not stock, etc.
GM Special Editions
Discuss things about GM factory special editions here: SS, WS6, Firehawk, F1, RS, '93 Indy Pace Cars, 30th & 35th Anniversary Edition, etc.
Aftermarket Special Editions and famous show cars
Discuss things about aftermarket special editions such as GMMG, Callaway, Berger SS, Tom Henry SS, etc. here along with Camaros that appeared in magazines, at SEMA, or as project cars for companies
There's not a really established "home" for many special car owners to discuss things related to their car that may not apply to other cars. There's no 30th Anniversary Camaro message board I know of for example, so plenty of topics and new members could result because of these new sections.

There's certainly no established 4th gen home other than here and LS1tech. LTXtech exists, but just barely... so I think it'd be good to provide a better home for 4th gens (particularly the LT1 crowd floating around about 10 different message boards) here on CamaroZ28.

If some random person wants to post his show car in the 3rd section above, it's no big deal. There are a lot of really cool show cars whether they appeared in magazines, at SEMA, were made by famous builders, or not.

If you'd rather... you could make a section like this...
Your show car
Did you just finish your show car Camaro or Firebird and want to show it off? Post it here.

Last edited by Brangeta; 04-27-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Its yours for only 40k, not a bad price considering? If any of you guys had an extra 40k lying around, Project Pumpkin II or a new 5th Gen?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I like the idea of a Special Edition section, thought about one a few times...but is that for information or also for people who own special edition vehicles to also post about their specific topics related to only their f-body? I am assuming that this is for editions that can be bought at a dealership as part of a series or a well-known "one off" done by a professional and not a backyard "special edition"?
i would consider a backyard special edition perfect material for the appearance section, not a special editions section, and i agree that this is the number one site for lt1 fbodys

the easiest way in my opinion to do this would to add two sub forums to the section "1967-2002 F-Body Technical Discussion",

1)factory special additions and history - information pertaining to ss's, ws6's, firehawks, 1le ans so one
2) aftermarket special editions and history

and maybe even a third
3)factory editions and history - a place to put all factory vehicles history
Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

I think it'd be a great resource for people who think they may have a special edition and are just trying to verify what they've got. Sure, we've got the general technical discussion where RPO codes are brought up, but it'd be great to have a dedicated place for that sort of thing as well as discussion of history.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by dangalla
i would consider a backyard special edition perfect material for the appearance section,
That's a great point.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM

Hey Jason, have you made a decision? Hopefully at least a history section can be made.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

Yeah, I am sure we can do something like that. We are planning a forum rearrangement in the near future, so we can incorporate something in there I am sure.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM

Brandon got his section.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
Brandon got his section.
I did? Where? I just looked and there's nothing new

Quick Reply: [Suggestion] History and Special Edition section