Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

[Solved] A gap in the forum topics: where can I go to talk about cars, in genearal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM

A gap in the forum topics: where can I go to talk about cars, in genearal?

We have two forums I enjoy in particular here:

F-body Lounge
All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc.

Automotive News / Future Vehicle Discussion
Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

However sometimes I want to to post a thread with a more in-depth/serious discussion about a car or car company or whatever that doesn't have anything to do with the news or with future vehicle. And the fact is that the odds of a thread like that doing well in the lounge is almost nill. It'll either sink or go off topic and 90% of the people posting in it won't really have anything serious or worth while to say.

A lot of car boards that I've seen have an off topic area just like we have in the lounge, and cars just aren't considered 'off topic' at all. They either have a separate forum specifically to talk about cars in a non future vehicle sense, OR they have a forum like we have with future vehicles but also open it up to targeted/serious/specific discussion of current and past vehicles as well. Basically making it more of a "car chat" that envelopes past, present, and future of all makes and models.

I'm not sure which is the right answer - a new forum, or opening up future vehicles to more than just the future.. but right now it just seems like there's a lot of 'inbetween' discussion that either gets 'incorrectly' posted in FV, or gets posted and drowns in the lounge... or even sometimes in my case, just never gets posted at all knowing that it won't really do well with either forum.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Clarified the title of the Automotive News / ... forum