CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Site Help and Suggestions (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/site-help-suggestions-11/)
-   -   Is CamaroZ28.com the 'First Automotive Threaded Message Board'? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/site-help-suggestions-11/camaroz28-com-first-automotive-threaded-message-board-873329/)

ls1evan 04-27-2013 08:32 PM

Is CamaroZ28.com the 'First Automotive Threaded Message Board'?

:)
In this video:
[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2776& transactionid=1367112727-76168123210&posted_by=ls1evan_www.camaroz28.com&yo utube_video_id=a1Mppj3b6UU[/autostream]
Chris Frezza, founder of CamaroZ28.com, stated that:
"We, in 1997, launched the first automotive threaded message board on the internet."

So, the first auto forum? Is this true? Does anyone have other sources to verify this?

I am very interested in this and am proud to see this title goes to a fellow Z28 owner!:cz28:

edit: the quote is at 0:42 seconds; clarification

ChrisFrez 04-27-2013 10:41 PM

Re: Is CamaroZ28.com the 'First Automotive Threaded Message Board'?

I'll definitely stand behind that claim. I searched for a while to put up a threaded message board for the site. Finally, I found a company called The Ultimate Bulletin Board back in 1997 that made exactly what I was looking for. On Christmas eve, 1997 the Message Board went live. It's all history from there. :)

ls1evan 04-28-2013 06:56 PM

Awesome, I didn't expect you to reply personally.

Thanks alot. The work you did didn't just help the camaro community but probably all car forums get going.

I hope to see you buy one of those new Z28s!

ChrisFrez 04-29-2013 06:12 AM

Not a problem at all, happy to answer your question personally. Here is a copy of a blog post I wrote on the 11 year anniversary of our Message Board:

** Flashback 11 years ago - December 24, 1997 **

I wanted to add something to CamaroZ28.COM to generate more of a community feeling. I had been looking endlessly for a online message board system for the web, similar to what I've was accustomed to with BBS'(Bulletin Board Systems) for years. At the time I was helping run an ISP in the Metro Detroit area that spun-off from one of the most popular BBS' in Metro Detroit. One of my good friends was looking for something similar for a client we had at (I)ndustry net.

There were very few automotive enthusiast websites, and none of them had a message board. There was some things that were close, but it was more of a guest book type question and reply system with no threading whatsoever. Most messaging still took place on e-mail mailing lists and Usenet newsgroups. Being an old member of the f-body.org mailing lists from 1993, I loved that community feeling, but it was all in e-mail - I wanted it moved to the web for easier access, more of a hub and meeting place for all the Camaro and Firebird enthusiasts that visited CamaroZ28.COM every day.

Finally, my good friend Chaunce and I stumbled across a new piece of freebie software that looked exactly what I wanted! It was written by a guy named Ted O'Neill in his spare time. The name of the software was called The Ultimate Bulletin Board software - better known as UBB now. After swapping e-mails quite a few times with Ted, I got the software installed on my then small little linux box running Slackware that hosted Camaroz28.com in my office.

So, on December 24, 1997 the CamaroZ28.COM Message Board went LIVE. We were the first Automotive Enthusiast website to deploy a threaded message board system and I was extremely happy with it! Myself and Chaunce were the first two user accounts on the site, then I told Jason to check it out and he was floored! Instantly people starting signing up and creating threads!

UBB's starting popping up all over the place then as it was becoming one of the premier Message Board packages on the net. It seemed like if you started a website, you had to have a UBB as well. Even though we eventually switch to Vbulletin I believe in 2002, UBB and it's creator still hold a very special place in my heart.

The rest as they say is history. 11 years and 80,000+ members later - here we are! We consider ourselves here at CamaroZ28.COM pioneers in the online enthusiast community. No, we didn't write the software - but we provided you all with the tools to make this community (and many other automotive enthusiast communities) what it is today.

Thank you to each and every one of you for making this site what it is today! Without you, we wouldn't be what we are today. Like you all, we are enthusiasts at heart, and that is what this site is all about

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

ws6transam 05-03-2013 07:09 AM

It was sure something special, that's for sure.

It's been amazing to watch how it changed people's lives too: There's a lot of folks in the auto industry who got their start as early members of fbody.org, diy_efi, and cz28.com. Magazine editors, big names in SEMA, aftermarket performance tuners, pro racers. It's fun to pick up a magazine and say "hey - I remember that person from Camaroz28.com".

Silverado27 06-20-2013 08:30 PM

I am so glad you did. It has kept my interest in the car strong for sure and I have been talking since 2008 about getting a Camaro. December 2013 I feel it will be a reality, finally. This place is amazing, I do not check Facebook like everyone else, I get my daily dose of CamaroZ28.com, though.

Thanks Chris and Jason for all of this. I know the traffic hasn't been as high, but you are still doing great work and still created a great community that I enjoy very much. It is amazing how the internet connects people. I bet in 1997 you had no idea that this would become as large and amazing as it is. Ok, I will stop the long winded speech, lol, haven't posted in awhile.

Much thanks from Philly, PA. If ou are ever in the area, you will have a round on me, I guarantee it.

JasonD 06-20-2013 08:34 PM

Thanks, buddy! :D

ChrisFrez 06-22-2013 04:03 PM

Thanks for the kind words man! If I'm ever in Philly, I will take you up on that offer. :) I love the craft beers - IPA's. :cz28::metal:

Originally Posted by Silverado27 (Post 6944649)
I am so glad you did. It has kept my interest in the car strong for sure and I have been talking since 2008 about getting a Camaro. December 2013 I feel it will be a reality, finally. This place is amazing, I do not check Facebook like everyone else, I get my daily dose of CamaroZ28.com, though.

Thanks Chris and Jason for all of this. I know the traffic hasn't been as high, but you are still doing great work and still created a great community that I enjoy very much. It is amazing how the internet connects people. I bet in 1997 you had no idea that this would become as large and amazing as it is. Ok, I will stop the long winded speech, lol, haven't posted in awhile.

Much thanks from Philly, PA. If ou are ever in the area, you will have a round on me, I guarantee it.

ZeeS7o7 03-25-2015 10:41 AM

We need to get this MAGIC back.....what are all the other sites doing that this one isn't? If this is one of the first car sites I would think it would be doing a lot better.

thoughts????