New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

New Old Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:01 AM

New Old Guy

Hi all - great forum you all have going here! Been lurking for about 6 months but finally joined. Just bought a 1994 Z28 automatic LT1 with 70k in it about 3 weeks ago, Still don't have the title since it was previously owned by my what I would say was my best buddy's wife. He died about 18 months ago @ 50 yrs old from cancer - she signed her name on the title and that caused an issue transferring the title to me. She needs a surrogate letter from the county's Hall of Records that will allow he to sell the car or anything else that has Danny's name on the title. We should have that straight pretty soon. Danny's wife tried selling it for about a year but couldn't get a buyer since it's pretty hard starting most all the time. I've been troubleshooting it and I'm certain it's either injector related or fuel pump related - probably both since it appears to have the original injectors with the little clips on them holding them to the fuel rail. Possibly a couple or a few of them are leaking - I have to pull the rail / injectors and prime the fuel pump and see what we got going on there. Either that or the fuel pump check valve that when stuck open lets all the fuel in the lines drain back into the tank. The fuel pressure drops to 5 psi within 10 seconds of priming the pump and turning the ignition off. While running it hold 35-40 lbs of fuel pressure . I think the fuel regulator is good since there is no gas in the vacuum line that goes to the intake from the regulator.

He was the second owner. He bought it from the original owner who lived in Michigan about 12 years ago. The weather is pretty ****ty out east here so I've had limited time to work on the Z. Either raining or freezing out. Have just done the basics so far - oil change, got a new K&M filter for the cold air intake (there was no air filter on it when I got it). I was a bit of a gear head back in high school and college so I think with the right info I can get this thing running like brand new. Problem is that my buddy wasn't much of a gear head - he liked old muscle cars - so we never talked of what was done to the car before he bought it. Getting under it I see it has been lowered with a kit from Granatelli - gas shocks, different springs, lower control arms (on the rear), welded in uni-body frame stabilizers and a piece that bolts onto the rear diff and goes up to the trans that looks like it will prevent the diff from ripping out and the whole rear axle flipping over. It also has an aftermarket drive shaft that has to be 4 inches in diameter. Under the hood it has a brace that bolts onto the tops of the strut towers. I'm pretty sure the trans has been built also or at least a shift kit installed as it slams into gears hard.Lastly it has Hooker headers going back to an aftermarket Flowmaster going out the original flattish tail pipes.

Now this is where things get into the unknown. It came with a NOS kit installed but Danny had that taken out. The plate is still there in the intake behind the throttle body just all plugged off. So I'm just getting into what else has been done to this motor where the original owner felt that the body might bend due to the extra HP/torque being produced. I'll post the questions in the appropriate sections on the forum. I'm open to any suggestions or guesses on what else may have been modified that I cant see from the outside.

Well - good to here. Thx.

Last edited by jacked1; 12-17-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Re: New Old Guy

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com ! ! !

Sounds like it's got most of the basic modifications.

The subframe connectors ("uni-body frame stabilizers") are a common addition, even on stock cars. They stiffen the body, particularly on the T-top cars. The more HP/torque, the more important they become. The "piece that bolts onto the rear diff and goes up to the trans" is called the torque arm, and there is one included in the stock setup of all 3rd and 4th Gen F-Bodys. Aftermarket torque arms are generally adjustable for the pinion angle, stronger than the stock stamped steel piece, and best if mounted to the chassis, instead of the rear of the trans, where they can destroy the trans mount.

We're here to help.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:07 PM

Thx Injuneer for the welcome and that info. That goes to show how much I still have to learn. The torque arm is probably the stock piece as it didn't look to be able to adjust pinion angle. Next time I'm under there I'll have to take special note as to where it attaches.up front.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Great source of 4th Gen/LT1 info, from Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Free downloads of factory service manuals, 4th Gen Parts Manual, and other useful info, from GaryDoug:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Old 12-29-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Great source of 4th Gen/LT1 info, from Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Free downloads of factory service manuals, 4th Gen Parts Manual, and other useful info, from GaryDoug:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Thx again! These are great sources of just about everything I’d need to know. This board is just a wealth of knowledge.

Finally got a chance to pull the fuel rail and injectors and there are no leaks. The fuel regulator is good so it looks like I’ve got that fuel pump check valve issue that allows the gas to drain back into the tank as the pressure drops after the pump is primed. Got a ful pump to replace in the near future. .

Thx again Injuneer. Talk to you soon. Have a great New Year.