Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Can anyone help me with what brand headers these are

Old 12-05-2018, 09:46 PM

Can anyone help me with what brand headers these are

Can anyone help me find out the brand name of these headers please and thank you. I have factory exhaust manifolds down tubes to Y pipe to cat back I need to know if I need a new down tube to my y pipe.

Last edited by Dikhed; 12-05-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Re: Can anyone help me with what brand headers these are

Those are someone's attempt at a set of California legal 96/97 dual-cat headers. Not many companies made them. I don’t think they look like SLP. Is there a CARB-EO plate welded to the #1 primary?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Those are someone's attempt at a set of California legal 96/97 dual-cat headers. Not many companies made them. I don’t think they look like SLP. Is there a CARB-EO plate welded to the #1 primary?
nothing welded on #1 primary
Old 12-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Administrator

What car are you trying to put them on?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
Old 12-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What car are you trying to put them on?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/
93 z28 auto. I have factory exhaust manifolds right now but I have full Cat-Back from flange back
Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Administrator

The stock 93-95 system consists of the two cast iron exhaust manifolds, a Y-pipe that runs from the manifolds to the single cat, and the cat. There are no "down tubes". Just the two branches of the 1-piece Y-pipe. When you buy headers for a 93-95, they typically come with a new Y-pipe, made specifically to fit the headers. There is a subtle difference between the 93 headers and the 94/95 headers, since the AIR/EGR plumbing is slightly different. If you are not using headers with the AIR and EGR connections, they would be the same.

The headers in the picture are made for a 96/97 dual cat car. They are California CARB-EO certified. You can tell that because of how screwed up the driver side header is, with the primaries looping upwards over and above the valve cover. Federal emissions law (and CARB) allows headers as long as they do not alter the positions of the stock cats. In the dual cat cars, the driver side cat is bolted directly to the bottom of the manifold. Since that position can not be moved, the primaries are swept upwards. As a result, this is not an optimum design. All those bends don't help flow.

And, the headers tend to overheat everything in the engine compartment. A buddy of mine had a set of AS&M CARB certified headers on his 97 30th SS. They came with a thermal blanket to put on the firewall, to keep the heat from the passenger compartment. Even with adding more insulation, the headers were so hot the dipstick handles (oil and trans) melted., and other thing in the engine compartment were affected. The SLP CARB headers were a bit better, but those don't appear to be SLP.

If you tried to use those headers, I doubt they would bolt to your stock Y-pipe. You could try a 96/97 Y-pipe, but need a filler piece where the cat would have been located. Then the 96/97 Y-pipe would not match up with your catback, and would require an "S-pipe" adapter. If you were trying to keep AIR and EGR, the threads on the 93 AIR connection are different than the threads on the 96/97 headers.

I wouldn't recommend them.... limited gains and many problems.