General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

is this due to my ASR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:03 PM

is this due to my ASR?

whenever i give it good gas my pedal lets go completely and "smacks" my foot back? is this a issue with just about to break traction or is somethimg wrong? trac light comes on when it happens...... plz help me
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Re: is this due to my ASR?

What year is the car? Does it have a switch that turns the ASR off?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 AM

its a 97 and yes i have a switch. i believe it to be trac control letting off before it gets wild....... but unsure so i post.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Does it still kick the pedal back if you turn the ASR off?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Does it still kick the pedal back if you turn the ASR off?
no. i feel like asr is a waste. asr off one wheel wonder ya know
Old 11-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Administrator

ASR operates when one or more of the wheels is losing traction during acceleration. The system responds by:

1 - Commands the PCM to retard ignition timing, thereby reducing engine power.

2 - Uses the throttle adjuster motor (the ugly black contraption on the driver side valve cover) to reduce the throttle angle, reducing engine torque.

3 - Uses the brakes to control wheel speed

Also turns on the "LOWTRAC" light to tell you the traction control system is operating.

If you sense the pedal lose tension, and then kick back, most likely the action of the throttle adjuster motor. I've never driven a 4th Gen with ASR (or TCS on a Firebird), so I can't tell you how severe those actions are, but they sound consistent with ASR operation. Obviously, to take control of the throttle away from a heavy foot, the system has to disconnect control from the pedal (release tension) and take over control of the throttle using the servo motor in the throttle adjuster.

So, yes, what you described in your first post is the ASR system. When you turned the system off, you indicate you did not experience the things you described in the first post, so that would confirm it is traction control.

The big problem with ASR is that by default, the system is always "on" when you start the engine. Forget to turn it "off" and you're not going to be very competitive in the stop-light drags, and you'll be embarrassed by a Honda with a fart-can tailpipe. To overcome this problem, SLP developed a module that causes the ASR to always be "off" when you started the engine, and only "on" when you used the (reversed function) switch to turn it "on". Not sure if anyone still makes the module, but it's worth looking for.

What I don't understand is what appears to be a reference to a one wheel burnout.... given the fact the vehicle has a limited slip differential, you should never experience a "one-legger" burnout, unless the limited slip is worn out.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:21 AM

97 would have a Auburn posi. How many miles on the car ? Extreme miles could point a 'worn-out' posi.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:32 PM

So even with the posi track and asr off im getting the one wheen wonder.....are posis easy installes and or expensive? Is there a way to see visibilitysee if they are bad? Id hate to pit a new one in and it do the same thing as before. Thats what i thaught tje asr did was to grip both wheels without lagging out....
Old 11-12-2018, 07:56 PM

I jacked up the exle and checked the spinning of he wheels, they both go the same way with asr on and off... why still one wheeling it? Weak posi? Or its is what it is? Cant burn out with asr on... someone mentioned work break pedal to slow tire speed?
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 AM

Check out this for fixing your limited slip:

I haven't done this myself, but it doesn't look too bad.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dr.acula
So even with the posi track and asr off im getting the one wheen wonder.....are posis easy installes and or expensive? Is there a way to see visibilitysee if they are bad? Id hate to pit a new one in and it do the same thing as before. Thats what i thaught tje asr did was to grip both wheels without lagging out....
ASR manages only the wheel that is slipping. As explained several posts above, it stops the wheel from slipping by cutting engine power (closing throttle, retarding ignition timing), and applying the brake for that wheel or wheels. You should never use it for racing. It's good for rain, snow and mud. The drive wheels don’t slip because the engine is down on power.

You tested the posi with ASR off. You did that and got one stripe.

If you have an Auburn limited slip, it is a cone type design, and does not use clutch plates as shown in the video.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:09 PM

ASR manages only the wheel that is slipping. As explained several posts above, it stops the wheel from slipping by cutting engine power (closing throttle, retarding ignition timing), and applying the brake for that wheel or wheels. You should never use it for racing. It's good for rain, snow and mud. The drive wheels don’t slip because the engine is down on power.

If you have an Auburn limited slip, it is a cone type design, and does not use clutch plates as shown in the video.

Is that also repairable, or does the posi have to be replaced?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:11 AM

hope i have clutch plates haha. only one way to find out, time to get dirty!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM

As I stated in post #7,97s' would have had an Auburn ( cone clutches), 97 SSs' could have had an Eaton posi installed as an option from/thru SLP. Auburns are not rebuildable because of the 'wearing down' of the tapered cones.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
As I stated in post #7,97s' would have had an Auburn ( cone clutches), 97 SSs' could have had an Eaton posi installed as an option from/thru SLP. Auburns are not rebuildable because of the 'wearing' of the tapered cones.
damnit. that sucks would i need the electronically controlled one due to having the option of havimg a ASR switch? or can i just get a high performance one for 1/3 of the price?

Quick Reply: is this due to my ASR?