Air injection pipe needed! Asap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 PM

Air injection pipe needed! Asap!

hi 95 z28 auto. need a passenger side air injection pipe that runs into the manifold. the pipe the check valve an the rubber hose. I cannot find any of them online everywhere says the part is discontinued or not available. If anyone has one or knows of where i can get one please let me know.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 AM

Re: Air injection pipe needed! Asap!

Check out: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tion+pipe,4904
Old 08-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS

i belive the 94-95 are different because when I checked rockauto the part is not available an I think it’s it actually looks different then that.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Administrator

94 and 95 should be the same, unless your 95 is one of the CA emissions A4 cars with dual cats. Shoebox has a photo of his 95, showing the check valves and connections to the manifolds on both sodas:

http://shbox.com/1/diverters.jpg

The Rock Auto link in post #2 leads to a 1997 part. If you search Rock Auto for a 95 part, it shows a part made by “Polution Control Industries” and says it is “out of stock” and has a button for “notify me when available”. Might be a lead worth checking out. The pipe is listed as “left side”, so that may not be the single piece pipe that feeds both sides. There is no photo. May only be the short pipe from the check valve to the manifold.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tion+pipe,4904
Old 08-23-2018, 04:31 PM

I swear I clicked 95 looking for this. Rock references 343763, which lead me to Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/GM-LH-Manifol...6225141&chn=ps, does this look like the part?
Old 08-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Ya it’s the steel pipe that actually bolts into the manifold. An the rubber piece that connects to run across. I’m in the process of a header install. At this point I’m ready to plug them. I went to 4 junkyards all cars end up being v6 models. I’m afraid to delete the pump I don’t want it to run crappy or throw a SES, CEL. But I cannot find the pipe so it may just need to be that way. It is a single cat car , well no more cat at all actually. It’s headers to y-pipe to a straight to the muffler. I felt like unplugging the pump an just putting a jumper in the plug to trick the computer to think it’s on. But I’m not sure if the o2 sensor will through a light for it running to Rich. I don’t want it to lean out on me to much.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
I swear I clicked 95 looking for this. Rock references 343763, which lead me to Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/GM-LH-Manifol...6225141&chn=ps, does this look like the part?

that looks likw one for a iroc model
Old 08-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanks Fred, that helped.

The rubber hose seems to be the harder part. A bit of a gamble, but this looks like the same part based on the picture Fred posted: https://www.ebay.com/i/261349710881?chn=ps,
Check valve looks more promising: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...-size/5-7l-350
Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z28amustangklr
...... I’m afraid to delete the pump I don’t want it to run crappy or throw a SES, CEL.. ......, well no more cat at all actually. It’s headers to y-pipe to a straight to the muffler. I felt like unplugging the pump an just putting a jumper in the plug to trick the computer to think it’s on. But I’m not sure if the o2 sensor will through a light for it running to Rich. I don’t want it to lean out on me to much.
The AIR pump does not affect how the engine runs. It only runs for the first couple minutes after startup, to burn off any unburned hydrocarbons from the rich cold start mixture, and in turn, help the cat heat up faster. The cat doesn't work well when it’s cold. But you don’t have a cat, so there is no need for the AIR pump.

In OBD-1 (93-95) to avoid DTC 29 all you need to do is unplug the harness connector at the pump, and make sure there is a good fuse in the circuit (fuse #7 in the under hood box). No jumper required in the pins for the harness connector. All that would do is cause a short and blow the fuse.

Since the pump only runs at startup, when the PCM is in open loop, it does not cause the engine to run rich. Will not set a code related to the O2 sensor.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

The AIR pump does not affect how the engine runs. It only runs for the first couple minutes after startup, to burn off any unburned hydrocarbons from the rich cold start mixture, and in turn, help the cat heat up faster. The cat doesn't work well when it’s cold. But you don’t have a cat, so there is no need for the AIR pump.

In OBD-1 (93-95) to avoid DTC 29 all you need to do is unplug the harness connector at the pump, and make sure there is a good fuse in the circuit (fuse #7 in the under hood box). No jumper required in the pins for the harness connector. All that would do is cause a short and blow the fuse.

Since the pump only runs at startup, when the PCM is in open loop, it does not cause the engine to run rich. Will not set a code related to the O2 sensor.

ya I wasn’t thinking the whole jumper thing right I was thinking there was a sensor for that pump to tell it to kick on. I’m just plugging the system up. Gotta go find some sort of plug today. An I’m unplugging that pump. I’ll call it a day. I guess what I’ll have to do is eventually just get the AIR tuned out of the PCM. Anyone know what the heck ya can plug them holes with? The thread on the pipe was 22mm x 18 I belive.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:06 AM

ya I wasn’t thinking the whole jumper thing right I was thinking there was a sensor for that pump to tell it to kick on. I’m just plugging the system up. Gotta go find some sort of plug today. An I’m unplugging that pump. I’ll call it a day. I guess what I’ll have to do is eventually just get the AIR tuned out of the PCM. Anyone know what the heck ya can plug them holes with? The thread on the pipe was 22mm x 18 I belive.
the thread is a M22x1.5 I believe. Simply search on eBay M22x1.5 plug. There is many on there. Could also
see if your parts store has a oil plug in that size (mine didn’t)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:28 AM

93-95 Camaro/Firebird Billet Aluminum LT1 SMOG/AIR Block Off Plugs Pair - Hawks Third Generation

A little pricey. At the time that I blocked mine, I ended up doing the metric side to AN then an AN cap because I couldn't find a plug this big.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:47 AM

I went to a line store locally an it is a M22 but the threads like an 18 not a 1.50. I took the good air tube I still have an they tried to screw it into the fitting die to get the size an you could only get it to thread in a few turns. They had one M22 fitting that screwed down into the manifold then ya put a 3/4 plug in the top of that but it was 56$ to go that route. I think I’m going to try a A&A auto store here lastly see if they have a oil plug or something. I can use. I saw the ones on the hawk site but they say the thread is 3/4x16 , I hate to order them an they are wrong. I’ll never do headers again lol
Old 08-24-2018, 12:09 PM

I went to a line store locally an it is a M22 but the threads like an 18 not a 1.50. I took the good air tube I still have an they tried to screw it into the fitting die to get the size an you could only get it to thread in a few turns. They had one M22 fitting that screwed down into the manifold then ya put a 3/4 plug in the top of that but it was 56$ to go that route. I think I’m going to try a A&A auto store here lastly see if they have a oil plug or something. I can use. I saw the ones on the hawk site but they say the thread is 3/4x16 , I hate to order them an they are wrong. I’ll never do headers again lol
Headers for me have caused so much issue with melting and heat, and some fitment, I have Jet Hot long tubes. The do make working on the plugs easier. What I have found is that aftermarket leads to aftermarket leads to aftermarket. I started keeping a list of things done as a kind of manual specific to my car so I can keep track.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:49 PM

its definitely not a M22x1.50 or a 3/4 anything that fits that manifold. Anything I tried at various places today wouldn’t work. It seems like the thing is a m22 but the thread pitch is 18. Idk if it’s possibly a 7/8x18 I know that is a actual size but I couldn’t find it. So now back to square 1

Quick Reply: Air injection pipe needed! Asap!