LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Difference in LT1 Engine

Old 05-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Difference in LT1 Engine

i have a 1994 Trans Am, Been looking for a LT1 extra Engine to make into a 383 Stroker later on down the road I thought i seen something that a corvette Engine has 4 bolt main? a Guy E-mail me says he has a 1995 Corvette Engine for sale

What the difference between the 1994 Trans Am and the 1995 Corvette Engines? (I do know that the trans am engine should have Aluminum heads it does not)
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM

Re: Difference in LT1 Engine

The trans am should have aluminum heads...maybe someone put B-body iron LT1 heads on it

Yes the Y body (vette) LT1 had 4 bolt mains. Not sure if there are any external casting markings in the Y body LT1 to indicate it is a 4 bolt so would have to drop the pan and look if not

Other wise the 95 Vette motor would transplant into the 94. Use the 94 crank hub
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Administrator

All Corvette, and F-Body (Camaro and Firebird) LT1 V8's left the factory with aluminum heads. There are several different Head castings, with the main difference being how much metal there is in critical areas when it comes to porting the heads.

All Corvette LT1 and LT4 engine’s used a block with straight 4-bolt mains. That is the only difference between the Corvette and F-Body blocks. They all have the same casting number. There are stories of F-Body’s getting “left-over” Corvette engines, but if it happened it was not widespread. If an F-Body was given a new engine under warranty “replacement” it was a 4-bolt main block.

It is very easy to convert a 2-bolt block to a 4-bolt block.

There are some differences - the water pumps and accessory drive bracket is different between the Corvette and the F-Body. The Corvette has dual knock sensors, F-Body a single knock sensor, fuel rail connections are different, exhaust manifolds are different.

When it comes to your 94 engine vs. the 95 Corvette engine, you have an unvented Optispark distributor driven by a splined shaft off the nose of the cam, the 95 Corvette (as well as a 95 F-Body) Opti is vented, and driven by the cam dowel pin. As a result, the timing cover and the timing set are different. Nothing that can't be resolved when building a new 383.

If your T/A engine has cast iron heads, someone must have transplanted a B-Body (Impal SS, Buick, Cadillac) LT1 engine.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:23 PM

Thanks Guys I will buy that Engine

Injuneer, what do you mean easy to convert a 2 bolt main to 4 are the holes there just need to get different caps?

I havn't had one of these Engines a part yet
Old 05-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Administrator

You need to buy 4-bolt main caps for the three center bearings, either straight bolts or the outer bolts splayed, have the block drilled and tapped for the two outer bolts, and the new caps align bored. Not a big deal when the block has been cleaned, bored, and will be clearanced for the 3.75” stroke crank.

If you are building an engine without a power adder - nitrous, S/C, turbo - 4-bolt mains are not mandatory, unless you are looking at very high RPM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator

You may also find this chart useful:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_f-body_ye...onversions.pdf
Old 05-28-2018, 08:14 PM

The Guy sent me Pictures of the corvette Engine I thought that on the corvette had the fuel lines on the pass Side Also looks to me it's been sitting out side I ask him if i can remove the oil pan

here are the Pictures
Attached Thumbnails Difference in LT1 Engine-imagejpeg_0-2-.jpg   Difference in LT1 Engine-imagejpeg_0-3-.jpg   Difference in LT1 Engine-imagejpeg_0-4-.jpg   Difference in LT1 Engine-imagejpeg_0-5-.jpg   Difference in LT1 Engine-imagejpeg_0-6-.jpg  

Difference in LT1 Engine-imagejpeg_0-7-.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Beside the fuel lines, it has an F-body water pump and someone removed the steam pipe tubing from the rear of the heads. No composite valve covers, either. Don't think that is a "Corvette" engine, if that is what the guy is advertising. Everyone always thinks if they say "Corvette", it's worth more.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:09 AM

Is that a dual mass flywheel? that extension on the oil filler cap I don't think came on any vettes. If it is a vette engine, its possibly been bastardized by now. IDK if the VIN derivative can be matched up to a specific car. either way, its going straight to the machine shop, so other than not paying a premium price, I say go for it.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 AM

He was wanting a 4 bolt main block. If it didn't come from a 'vette, it won't be one.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM

When I was hunting junk yards for a block in Colorado, I had a couple of blocks out of Corvettes checked that had 2 bolt mains. I don't recall any detail on the cars, but I was also hunting the 4 bolt main. I ended up buying splayed caps and having them machined in with the build process. For the cost of adding the splayed caps and machine time, I wouldn't spend any extra time or money on the straight 4 bolt. I think the increase in cost was around $400.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
Is that a dual mass flywheel? that extension on the oil filler cap I don't think came on any vettes. If it is a vette engine, its possibly been bastardized by now. IDK if the VIN derivative can be matched up to a specific car. either way, its going straight to the machine shop, so other than not paying a premium price, I say go for it.
That looks just like the flywheel in my f-body...unless the dual mass ones looked the same I don’t think it is one....
Old 06-26-2018, 11:12 AM

accessory drive on a corvette is on the left side. The pictures show it on the right side.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:21 PM

The accessories and balancer would need to be swapped for the FBody.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:39 PM

A big issue is a lot of "non-GM" people call them all "corvette" engines since that version is like the patriarch of the engine line. They use the term the same way other non-car people may say "this one comes with the 'police engine'. I don't think they say it to be deceptive or anything. I think they just don't know any better. Or, maybe I just have too much faith in people lol...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in LT1 Engine