LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Running Rich!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 PM

Running Rich!!!

Hello new to the forum I’ve got a lot of my technical answers from here up until now when I registered because I’m at a complete loss, I have a 94 z28 LT1 I bought the car not running needed head gaskets I replaced head gaskets head studs and other odds and ends I got the car running ran good initially then came the ignition coil took a s*** so replaced that then it developed a rough idle so replaced the ignition module and optispark, plugs and wires all AC Delco now the car runs rough and rich no back fire no nothing what I have found is that if I unplug injectors one at a time it changes in the way it runs well if you unplug injector 3 and 5 no difference is made the connectors have voltage to them but they seem to be just dumping fuel I’ve replaced oxygen sensors and all still no difference I have no idea why 3 and 5 make no difference when unplugged I ran a scan and it says left bank running rich from the code I got any insight on what this issue could be I’m at a loss and have not yet even been able to drive the car due to this it burns through so much gas at an idle fuel pressure is around 36 at an idle and 40 under load which is low but still don’t answer why them two injectors make no difference unplugged??? Any help please!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 AM

Re: Running Rich!!!

Check for air-leaks at the intake manifold. Very common issue and will make 1 bank (or both) run pig rich. Same with any exhaust leaks before, or near the 02 sensors.

Download eehack or scan9495 and see what the car thinks is going on
Old 05-01-2018, 12:09 PM

you bought a non running car...

maybe the injectors are bad and just dumping fuel
you sure you have the right injector harness on each injector and none crossed?
does the car have a stock cam & injectors?
as mentioned engine intake leaks or exhaust leaks pre-02 will make the car run rich
Bank 1 is drivers side...carefully look for exhaust leaks on that side. Use some starter fluid and spray around intake/block seam...does idle increase?

your FP sounds normal with vacuum line hooked up

injectors can be serviced. Typically about $12-$15 each. I use www.cruzinperformance.com
Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 AM

you should pull the fuel rail with the injectors still connected and turn the key on but don't crank the engine. are the injectors leaking? then take 3 and 5 injectors out and use alligator clips to attach a wire to each pin. touch the wires to the battery terminals and listen for a click. if there is no click or the injectors leak when you turn the key, might be time to replace them.