General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Old gas a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:18 AM

Old gas a problem?

Hey everyone, been years since I've spent any time here... Just don't have time for the cars with two little ones now. Long story short, my 96 Z28 has been sitting in my mom's garage for about 5 years (wasn't originally intended to be that long, but it is what it is now). I'll change the oil and probably replace the battery, but is there concern over the gas? I've heard that gas nowadays doesn't typically have the same issues that it used to and most modern tanks are airtight so moisture isn't an issue. True or not? Would really appreciate any guidance here. Also, not sure how much fuel is actually in it unfortunately. Thanks a ton everyone.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Re: Old gas a problem?

At a minimum, you need to drain the old fuel. Inspecting the interior of the tank would be a good idea. There have been pictures posted showing heavy rust in situations like yours. If you start the engine with dirty fuel, you could end up with plugged line and even injectors. The fuel pump/sending unit may also be heavily corroded. Using the “cut a hatch” method posted on the “Fuel and Ignition” forum is an easier way to check things out, if you are up for doing that to your car.

“Modern” fuels contain appreciable amounts of alcohol, in the form of ethanol. Alcohol absorbs water and causes corrosion to metal and some plastics that are not suitable for exposure to ethanol.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/e-10-...our-fuel-pump/
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM

Re: Old gas a problem?

I had a fully rusted lower tank from 6 years in a garage. The gas had also rusted the sending unit, ate away the screen on the fuel pump, and degraded the plastic bucket.