Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Stumped... Trans or torque converter or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 AM

Stumped... Trans or torque converter or neither?

I have a 1995 LT1 /4l60e combo running stand alone fully computerized in my 1986 Z28. I used the shobox guide to stripping down the wiring harness; this is the second one of these I've done. Neither has o2 sensors.

First 5 minutes, everything works perfect.

Then no forward or reverse, at all. Shut the car off. Wait 5 minutes, everything works again, for about 5 minutes, then the whole thing starts over again.

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Re: Stumped... Trans or torque converter or neither?

Are you saying the 4L60E (only) is run by an aftermarket controller? Or do you have something that runs both the engine and the trans? Does whatever runs the trans have any diagnostic capabilities? Is the controller specific to the 95 pulse width modulated converter lockup? Is it possible the trans is actually a 96/97, which is not compatible with the 95 controller?

See this with reference to the above:

4L60E year differences and interchanges.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Trans is 1995, controlled by the OEM computer, same as the engine. Yes, I do have the diagnostic port connected. No codes appear, but if I swap out some with a bad one, it's reported.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 PM

Well I figured something out.
When I first started up the transmission pump is pumping fluid like crazy checking it at the radiator if I just let it sit here and Ron in the garage idle for 3 minutes and I loosen up the connection at the radiator again nothing there is absolutely no fluid pumping through the system is that controlled electronically or not.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Let's see if we can get some responses in "Drivetrain".
Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by rrwebster
Well I figured something out.
When I first started up the transmission pump is pumping fluid like crazy checking it at the radiator if I just let it sit here and Ron in the garage idle for 3 minutes and I loosen up the connection at the radiator again nothing there is absolutely no fluid pumping through the system is that controlled electronically or not.
to answer my own question the pump is driven by the torque converter which is mounted to the flywheel so the pump is functioning at all times however, I have read that before you replace a pump make sure that your filter isn't clogged.
Can a clogged filter stop the flow of fluid completely? This makes no sense that one minute I have perfect pressure well I haven't checked it with a gauge but enough pressure to move the vehicle correctly and the next minute have no pressure at all? Heavy pressure isn't the correct term but flow of fluid.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 PM

Alright it's fixed I am posting what I happened or what I found so that if someone else in the future comes across a similar situation, they will have the answer.
It was very difficult to see, but there was a slight bulge inward on the pan for the transmission. I took the pan off and noticed that the filter was crammed up into the transmission so what was going on was the filter was suctioning on the bottom of the pan so getting the pain pounded out to its normal flatness and putting a new filter on fixed everything.Thanks for all your help

Last edited by rrwebster; 03-29-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Voice to text error correction
Old 03-29-2018, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks for following up. I wish we actually had someone here who could have helped. This site used to be extremely active. We had a trans builder who would pop in every so often, or I could ask him to look at a specific thread. But I think he had some sort of problem with someone on the site years ago, and still has a hesitation to come here. There are about a half dozen die-hard LT1 fans holding what is left of the site together. I like to help with the engine, control system, suspension, whatever. But I'm really weak on auto transmissions.

Thanks again, and we would be glad to have you hang around and help out when you can.