LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

All new parts but still 0 fuel pressure?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Post All new parts but still 0 fuel pressure?

Hi friends

I hope you're all doing very well.

So I was cruising on the freeway yesterday loving life when suddenly my TA just completely shut off. It didn't sputter or anything, just suddenly died. She did let off a pretty nasty backfire after she stalled though. My first thought was it's either the optispark or fuel pump - both of which were replaced 3 months ago.

After having it towed home, I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and it read 0 at KOEO, and also while trying to start. Since I have a lifetime warranty on the pump (and a convenient trap door) I swapped it out and it still read 0.

3 months ago I replaced the fuel pump, optispark, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and spark plugs.

Is it possible for an optispark failure to cause 0 fuel pressure? I read somewhere that the fuel system becomes inoperable if the optispark fails in a certain way.

Thank you so much
Old 09-23-2017, 04:37 PM

Re: All new parts but still 0 fuel pressure?

Originally Posted by Camaro91RS
Hi friends

I hope you're all doing very well.

So I was cruising on the freeway yesterday loving life when suddenly my TA just completely shut off. It didn't sputter or anything, just suddenly died. She did let off a pretty nasty backfire after she stalled though. My first thought was it's either the optispark or fuel pump - both of which were replaced 3 months ago.

After having it towed home, I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and it read 0 at KOEO, and also while trying to start. Since I have a lifetime warranty on the pump (and a convenient trap door) I swapped it out and it still read 0.

3 months ago I replaced the fuel pump, optispark, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter and spark plugs.

Is it possible for an optispark failure to cause 0 fuel pressure? I read somewhere that the fuel system becomes inoperable if the optispark fails in a certain way.

Thank you so much
No, optispark failure can not cause 0 pressure. It is something in the fuel or security system.

Do you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key to 'on'? If not. Check for power at the connector under the car. If no voltage, check the fuses and fuel pump relay.The relay is under the dead pedal on the drivers floor...one screw holds the cover on.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Administrator

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME TOPIC ON MULTIPLE FORUMS.

The other one will be closed.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...3/#post6994925

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-23-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:49 PM

OP

answered your ? on another thread/forum. Confirm your wiring at the FP is good. Check for +12 vdc at the connector to fuel pump....and that the pump is not wired backwards
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

The security system does not control the fuel pump, only the injectors through the pcm.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The security system does not control the fuel pump, only the injectors through the pcm.
Thanks, Gary, for the correction....
Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 PM

bw_hunter, Injuneer, Chimera96, GaryDoug -

Thank you so much for all the great info.

You won't believe this (or maybe you will) but Autozone rented me a BROKEN fuel pressure gauge. I rented another from a different store and my fuel pressure was perfect.

I ended up narrowing it down to the Ignition Control Module. Replaced it and she started right up.

It feels so good to have the bird back. My Mercury Sable just doesn't give me the same thrill

Thanks again fellas - I appreciate it very much.