Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

95 Camaro Z exhaust and header question

Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM

95 Camaro Z exhaust and header question

Don't know if I posted in the right place. I got a 95 z28 and I decided instead of getting an exhaust system I'll get a magnaflow muffler and x-pipe and headers. Would LT or shorties be better and which one would make it work better. Also any suggestions on what else I can do would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Re: 95 Camaro Z exhaust and header question

To use an X-pipe you would have to install a true dual exhaust - pipe from each of the two header collectors to the X-pipe, and two exhaust pipes from the X-pipe to two independent mufflers. Is that what you want?

Shorties and mid-lengths are often set up for a Y-pipe (included with the headers), that routes to the stock cat converter. Then a cat-back exhaust (3" intermediate pipe and single cross-flow muffler).

Do you want to build a true duals system? Do you want to retain a cat converter? Or possibly dual cats with one in each branch of the true duals? What emissions regulations do you have to meet? Any other significant engine mods?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM

I don't wanna buy an exhaust system cuz I like the factory squared out tips in the back. I already bought a magnaflow muffler so wanna do something in the effect of an exhaust system that would remove the factory pipes. I just installed the intake today and thinking of doing a lot more mods. I'm also thinking about 86ing the cat which is why I think longtubes might be better. So I really can't xpipe with it being also big project?
Old 07-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Administrator

The purpose of an X-pipe is to join together the exhaust from the two headers to improve scavenging, then separate the combined exhaust back into two independent streams to the rear of the car. If you did that, there is nothing that would prevent you from using the stock rectangular tips on the new, true dual system. Just some help from a muffler shop.

Will your Magnaflow muffler allow you to re-use your stock tips?

And keeping the stock 2-3/4" crimp-bent intermediate pipe, and just connecting the Magnaflow muffler will not work well with the headers. Even a totally stock engine, with stock exhaust manifolds, and stock Y-pipe gains significant HP from an upgrade to a 3" mandrel-bent intermediate pipe, and a free-flowing cross-flow muffler. Just placing a new muffler on the stock intermediate pipe does very little, if anything to add HP.

A quality catback, like the Magnaflow, Borla, etc. will work fine with either long-tubes/Y-pipe or shorties/Y-pipe. Much easier than true duals, and still a performance upgrade. I ran 800 HP through AS&M intermediate headers, a custom 3" Y-pipe, and a Mufflex 4" catback/Flowmaster single in/single out Race Series muffler. To reduce weight, we removed the Mufflex catback, and bolted Borla 3" X1 mufflers to each collector extension, and a 3" pipe on each side back to in front of the rear axle, and we saw no significant change in HP comparing the catback to the true duals.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:00 PM

So what would you recommend? Change the intermediate pipe and the xpipe it or what? Sorry usually I'm a catback guy but this time I wanna do something a little different.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Unless you live in California, I'd recommend getting a set of longtube headers, then replacing the stock Y-pipe and catback with a 3" mandrel bent Y-pipe and catback.

That's what people usually do, because it's the most straightforward path to a healthy power upgrade, and that's why we recommend it. If you're in the mood to be different, it doesn't really make sense to askwhat we recommend. Do whatever satisfies that mood! Just know that you'll either be spending a bunch of extra cash or leaving power on the table.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:24 PM

Alright guys. Thanks alot of the info

Search this Thread