General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

DIY: Trans & Oil Cooler using Steel Braided lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:01 AM

DIY: Trans & Oil Cooler using Steel Braided lines

Now that I'm using a Yank 3400 converter I needed to add a trans cooler. I opted to not run in series with the radiator and now only have an external trans cooler. Seems to be a personal preference. I've heard some horror stories of fluids mixing and causing all sorts of problems. I also decided to go with a dedicated engine oil cooler now that I'm not using the stock oil cooling system.

Things to buy for trans cooler:
(2) -6an to 1/4 NPS fitting
(2) 45 degree -6an fitting
(2) Straight -6an fitting
(1) 14-15 ft -6an steel braided hose
(1) 19 row oil cooler
(1) 7" Oil Cooler Fan
(2) -10an to -6an reducers

If you decided to add a trans temp gauge like I did, you will also need:
(2) straight -6an hose fittings
(1) -6an union with 1/8 NPT port
(1) 1/8 NPT Close Nipple (find at local hardware store)
(2) 1/8 NPT coupler (find at local hardware store)
These will be used to make an extension for the sensor to fit in the -6an union.

This union should be added between the line going to the cooler. This will give you a reading of how hot the fluid is leaving your transmission. I would rather know peak temp. Again, this is a preference thing. Some say the sensor needs to be in the pan, ports on the trans or in one of the cooler lines.

Things to buy for oil cooler:
(1) Oil Cooler Sandwich adapter w/ 1/2 inch NPT ports...Derale 25720
(2) 1/2 NPT to -10an fitting
(2) -10an straight fittings
(1) 12 ft -10an steel braided hose
(1) 19 row oil cooler
(1) 7" Oil Cooler Fan

This was my first time with steel braided hose so here are some tips for others..
1. STEEL BRAIDED HOSE WAS A PITA...expect to get your hand poked many times. If you don't care about having the steel braided look, the Nylon may be easier to work with.

2. Practice, practice, practice..did i say practice? If it's your first time, I would make sure you have the hose/fitting assembly process down before you attempt to assemble the hose you're going to use. Once the braid frays you're screwed. Order a foot or 2 extra to practice on for your first time.

3. Leave yourself some room for error. If you need 7 ft cut the hose 7.5 ft. This saved me a couple times.

4. Before I researched, I bought the Ebay fittings. The -10an fittings slipped on no problem. However the -6an fittings were brutal to put on. I have no leaks but the more expensive fittings might go on easier.

Now for mounting

I removed a/c system and that gave me the room to mount my coolers in this fashion.

Using a cutting wheel, I cut wholes to allow the fittings to fit through. I also applied a couple coats of paint to reduce rusting.

I purchased nylon spacers (i stacked a 1/2" space and 1" spacer) and 3.5" self tapping sheet metal screws from a local hardware store.

I purchased fans that are slightly bigger than the oil coolers are tall. I have the fan set up to push air from the front the car to the rear. I didn't want it to pull from the back to the front because it would only be pulling hot air from the engine. The way I have it set up, should allow for air to circulate better and hot air coming from the cooler move quicker with it being pushed by the cooler fan and then pulled by the radiator fans.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert lol this setup is based on my own internet research