Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

94 Z28 crank no start resolved it was ICM

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 AM

94 Z28 crank no start resolved it was ICM

i posted last year about my 94 Z28 that just died on the road. it was not the opti, it was the ICM. i should have learned how to use a multimeter but a mobile mech came out and used something that just had a light on it that was red or green. he said it was the coil or ICM.

The coil was an Accel only 5 yrs old but the ICM was original. I got a BWD off brand from OReilleys and added dewatering to the gas and cheap octane boost and it started right up.

What i learned:

1. Don't disconnect the battery if you already have a laptop. Get the cable and Doug's Scan94/95 and get the codes. i disconnected the battery to check the coil wires and lost the codes.

2. Should have learned how to use the multimeter or charge detector and run the diagnostics on Shoebox's page. or hire a mobile mech sooner. it was only 1 hr

3. Don't swap your opti on a gamble. its too much work and now i have a spare opti. If i had gambled on ICM first it would have been so easy.

4. my wife has a car and i live 2.5 miles from wk so i biked and got in shape a little but it was a big learning exp
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Re: 94 Z28 crank no start resolved it was ICM

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to hear a problem was resolved, and how it was resolved.

To extend the life of your new ICM, back to Shoebox:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles