General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

95 z28 vats nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 PM

95 z28 vats nightmare

okay, i haven't posted in years, but that's mainly because i've managed to solve all my problems but this one has me stumped
so, i went to bleed my coolant since it was overheating and i noticed some air rushing through the lines, while i was doing this the cap popped off the radiator and blew coolant all over the engine (and me). That was my fault, didn't have it tightened down enough, but i dried everything off and noticed some coolant got on the pcm, now i know those pcm's are pretty water tight so i thought nothing of it. I was driving it around afterwards to pick up some stuff and it started bucking and misfiring, this is a separate issue that i'll tackle once i get the vats solved, anyway, i pulled over and called my buddy with a tech 2 to come out so i could see the codes, it set codes for the ICM and i cleared the codes to drive it a little more to see if they come back, hoping it would be because coolant got on everything in the engine bay. Well here's where my day really went to ****, when i cleared the codes the car wouldn't start again, now the car had a security light on when i got it, and i never messed with it since the car always started but this is the first time ive cleared the codes in the pcm since i've had the car, but the fuel pump wouldn't prime nor would the starter engage. so i assumed the pcm wasn't getting the signal from the TDM to let the pcm send the command to engage the starter and prime the fuel pump. Since then i have bypassed the TDR, tried to install all the correct resistance values in line, all failed to start the car, and bought an ALDL cable to flash the pcm with a tune that would allow it to prime the fuel pump without the TDM command, the PCM wont connect to EEflash, scan9495, or CATS flash tuner, and when you turn the key on during the bulb check it doesn't light the SES or the security light, it wont light the security light at all when putting the wrong key in, but before i had cleared the codes with the tech 2 the SES light and security light both worked fine
im going to tear into the car and get my eyes on the TDM and im going to pull the PCM as well to make sure they are okay, but any other suggestions would be appreciated
Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: 95 z28 vats nightmare

Very unlikely any water could get inside the pcm, but it could disturb the wires and/or fuses carrying power to it.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Re: 95 z28 vats nightmare

turns out it wasnt VATS, pcm wire shorted out, fixed the wire and it fired right up