General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car troubleshooting

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 PM

Car troubleshooting

hey I'm recently new here so please don't get mad at me if this question has been already asked. So background, I have a 1995 camaro v6 automatic that I bought roughly 3 or so years back. I have never had a problem with it until just the other day when my speedometer started freaking out randomly and just started spinning. This would happen continuously when I drove and other than me not knowing how fast I am going, it hasn't been much of a problem. However, today the speedometer was starting to work fine again (but claiming I was going 5 mph faster than I actually was going) Then out of no where when I turned on my headlights the car completely turned off and wouldn't start again for 3-5 minutes. I was thinking it could be faulty wiring or maybe something with the alternator even though that was claimed to be replaced just ~3 years ago when I bought the car. I wanna take it in, but I don't know of any trusty mechanics near me (just the quick change oil places like monroe) and I wanted to get an idea of what I would be looking at being the problem before going in so that they don't try to screw me over.
Thank you for your time and help!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Re: Car troubleshooting

Which V6 engine? 95 there was a 3.4L (last year) and a 3.8L (first year). The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal passes through the PCM, so we need to look at the wiring diagram for the correct engine.

At any time was the SES light on? Do you have a way to scan it for codes?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 PM

Oh sorry I forgot about the different engines. It is the 3.4L V6. The SES light comes on every now and again but its never consistent and usually turns off and doesn't come back on when the car is turned off. I bought a OBMII reader to try to get codes but it keeps saying it cannot connect...
Old 04-25-2017, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Won't connect because your PCM is OBD-1 with a 16-pin OBD-2 style diagnostic connector. You need an OBD-1 scanner, with either a 12-pin to 16-pin adapter, or jumper wires like this:

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

Or, a dual OBD-1/OBD-2 scanner. Or GaryDoug's Scan9495 software specifically for the 3.4L V6.

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...for-34l-f-car/
Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

The only place the headlight power supply and the instrument panel power supply come together are at two fusible links that connect to battery + in the red plastic terminal box near the battery. One fusible link supplies the headlights through a circuit breaker in the headlight switch. It is conceivable that the breaker tripped and took a couple minutes to reset. But that shouldn't cause the engine not to start.

The second fusible link supplies the ignition switch, which supplies the instrument cluster.

Seems like a problem with something loose in the red terminal box could be a problem, but that's just a guess.

I don't recall anyone with this specific problem over the past 18 years I've been on this site, but obviously I haven't read every single post.

We have an electrical engineer here that is good with this sort of stuff.... I'll see if he can offer any thoughts.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

When you said "...wouldn't start again for 3-5 minutes." did you mean that the starter did not work or the it worked but the engine would not start running?

Did you notice anything else having power issues, like the horn, radio, windows, interior lights?

Can you monitor the voltage with a meter at the red terminal block near the battery? See if the voltage drops excessively when you turn on the headlights again. Could just be a bad cable to the battery or a loose connection at the block.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 04-25-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: removed incorrect information
Old 04-29-2017, 06:56 PM

I dropped a rench on my battery... whats wrong?
I have a 1995 chevy camaro basic modle 3.4 I was replacing my battery and droped my wrench on the battery. There was high spark from the battery and now it wont start i had the battey checked its good the starter and alti was great. I cant find out the problem ive even checked the fuses they still work..helpp.. btw i love working on cars but im stomped for this one
Old 04-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tatie Roper
I dropped a rench on my battery... whats wrong?
I have a 1995 chevy camaro basic modle 3.4 I was replacing my battery and droped my wrench on the battery. There was high spark from the battery and now it wont start i had the battey checked its good the starter and alti was great. I cant find out the problem ive even checked the fuses they still work..helpp.. btw i love working on cars but im stomped for this one

I already moved your post from Advanced Tech to this forum. Go here:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...-wrong-885587/

Search this Thread