Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

MORE Chrysler Workers Busted for Partying at Lunch

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM

MORE Chrysler Workers Busted for Partying at Lunch

You may remember the original story from the Jefferson plant back in September. The thread caused quite a stir, as did the story nationally.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...rysler+Workers

Again? Seriously?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ks-20110713-dk

To be perfectly fair to Chrysler and the UAW, the 13 that were busted originally have NOT been hired back. Congrats guys, you too have also punched your ticket to the unemployment line.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 07-13-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 AM

Re: MORE Chrysler Workers Busted for Partying at Lunch

I'm so, so SO sick of hearing about this. What are we, as the Media trying to do? Chrysler is on the right track. They have 15 consecutive sales months going for them yet the MEDIA continues to beat this dead horse.

Listen, it happens EVERY WHERE in every shop in America.

What you don't hear is the timeline this video footage was taken. I'm not defending anybody but come on guys. Miguel Cabrera has drinking problems. Josh Hamilton has drug problems.

There's not a camera on his *** 24/7. Why must we beat up the blue collar worker time and again?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
I'm so, so SO sick of hearing about this. What are we, as the Media trying to do? Chrysler is on the right track. They have 15 consecutive sales months going for them yet the MEDIA continues to beat this dead horse.

What you don't hear is the timeline this video footage was taken. I'm not defending anybody but come on guys. Miguel Cabrera has drinking problems. Josh Hamilton has drug problems.

There's not a camera on his *** 24/7. Why must we beat up the blue collar worker time and again?
NO, it doesn't happen everywhere in America.

And even if it did, they're not the ones who had their jobs saved by a HUGE amount of taxpayer dollars and for many against their desire. Like it or not, they need to walk the straight and narrow.

My fear is that they are paying attention to this and trying to stop it, but the culture of it is so ingrained in the industry that it's a losing battle. And what's really scary is, if they're doing this now with all of the media attention, what in God's name were they doing before?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Josh, when a couple of fellow plant workers call Fox 2 News asking for some kind of help because they are sick of working next to these people every day, what are they supposed to do, tell them "nah, we don't want the story"? The "horse" is not dead if the activity persists.

These individuals were actually drinking and toking up ON THE UNION HALL'S PROPERTY. Talk about bold!

Like I said, good for Chrysler and the union dealing with these people in the appropriate way. I'm sick of people defending these guys and trying to act like every blue collar guy in America makes it a habit to drink and do drugs at lunch.

Like Wolchek said, he'd be happy to (and even "prefer to") bust some of the execs doing "3 martini lunches" but he has not received any tips. If you want to make it about collar-color warfare, find some higher-ups partying at lunch and call Fox 2.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 07-14-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Like Wolchek said, he'd be happy to (and even "prefer to") bust some of the execs doing "3 martini lunches" but he has not received any tips. If you want to make it about collar-color warfare, find some higher-ups partying at lunch and call Fox 2.
Chances are nothing would happen to "higher-ups" if they were doing the same thing.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Chances are nothing would happen to "higher-ups" if they were doing the same thing.
Non-union "higher ups" would have less protections, I would think.

I know how the business world works though, people from company 'x' are taken to lunch by vendor 'y' and they have a meal and drinks. It's how a lot of business gets done.

I don't even care about the drinking as much, if these guys are having a beer once and a while at lunch, hey whatever. Do you have to smoke dope every day though? Really? C'mon....
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

I am going to respectfully address this, point for point.

I'm so, so SO sick of hearing about this.
Yes, as we all are. So it needs to stop.

What are we, as the Media trying to do?
This is not the media's fault. They are doing their job to the best of their ability. You know who isn't? The drunk/stoned Chrysler workers.

Chrysler is on the right track. They have 15 consecutive sales months going for them
And things like this put that entirely at risk. Anyone who wants to buy a car worked on by someone under the influence is high themselves.

yet the MEDIA continues to beat this dead horse.
No, the employees continue to hit the bottle and the pipe and then go back to work on the vehicles that keep Chrysler on that right track.

Not true, and even if it was, it doesn't make any incident of it okay.

What you don't hear is the timeline this video footage was taken. I'm not defending anybody but come on guys.
When was it taken then? And in my opinion...you are defending the errant Chrysler workers by making this the fault of the media. They media didn't force them to drink and smoke pot.

Miguel Cabrera has drinking problems. Josh Hamilton has drug problems.
Those guys are entertainers. When they turn the wrenches on a product I pay for that costs 50% of my home value, then there is an issue with them, too.

Why must we beat up the blue collar worker time and again?
Because they keep screwing up, time and time again.

This just doesn't look good in any way, and it is solely the fault of the employees that cannot do their job without getting bombed or baked. They know better, and ignore better.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM

I am 100% glad that both Chrysler and the UAW are cracking down on Bozos like this. These are the type of people that gave UAW workers a bad name in the first place.

The 3rd gen Camaro was made out this way at Van Nuys just north of Los Angeles. When GM needed to eliminate an entire shift, some workers actually went as far as sabotaging some cars they were building (things like putting ball bearings in parts so it would rattle and make noise to whoever bought the car).

GM decided to move most workers of the night shift to work alongside the day shift, but between that and the plant's history of less than stellar quality the damage was done. The plant was rated as producing the lowest quality of work of all of GM's North America plants at the time, and was shut down permanently when 3rd gen production stopped.

No car company wants people like that building their cars, no buyer wants people like that building the cars that their life (and a huge chunk of their earnings) is going to be invested in, and the UAW certainly doesn't want to protect morons like that anymore.

Saying this happens everywhere or blaming the people who report this is a cop out.

It serves as a reminder to both car makers and the UAW that it's in their best intrest to keep weeding these types of people out.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Really?

This tarnishes the name of everyone involved, and it is no way the media's fault.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by El Duce
NO, it doesn't happen everywhere in America.

And even if it did, they're not the ones who had their jobs saved by a HUGE amount of taxpayer dollars and for many against their desire. Like it or not, they need to walk the straight and narrow.
yeah, because none of you government guys ever drink on the job.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Z28x
Doesn't make it right for anyone to do it. America is still on it's back and now is not the time for anyone to be doing a half-assed job with a chemical impairment.

If someone wants to get drunk and/or stoned, they need to stay the hell home and do it there because there is several thousand other people that are willing to line up to do their job 100% sober for half the pay so they can stay out of the bread lines or the homeless shelter.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM

And I thought your previous posts were idiotic. This doesn't happen everywhere in America. It shouldn't happen ANYWHERE. I don't drink at my work, ever. Nor does anyone else I know where I work. I'd be fired immediately if I did, too, because that's the way it should be.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Doesn't make it right for anyone to do it. America is still on it's back and now is not the time for anyone to be doing a half-assed job with a chemical impairment.

If someone wants to get drunk and/or stoned, they need to stay the hell home and do it there because there is several thousand other people that are willing to line up to do their job 100% sober for half the pay so they can stay out of the bread lines or the homeless shelter.
I totally agree, I'm just saying it happens all over the place. But for some reason it only gets media coverage if it is by someone in the UAW.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

But for some reason it only gets media coverage if it is by someone in the UAW.
The reason is that someone in the UAW tipped off the news because they didn't want these guys ruining it for everyone else...again. Plus, I am sure the whole automotive bailout thing comes into play.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Lounge Moderator

I would lose my job in a heartbeat if I drank at work, and that was also the case when I worked in the private sector.

I'm not sure what's led you to think that this kind of behavior is acceptable or even normal in any industry.

Quick Reply: MORE Chrysler Workers Busted for Partying at Lunch