General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Reference Photos of Stock Underbody

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Talking Reference Photos of Stock Underbody

So I got new tires this weekend, and my car was up on a lift for the first time since I bought it. I took the opportunity to snap some pictures of the underside of the car, which I've never gotten a good look at before. There are a few taken from the sides as well, just to get a good perspective.

I have 7-megapixel versions of these. It seems to me that they could be somewhat informative. If anyone wants a high-res copy, feel free to ask.

Other than the 3" Corsa catback, everything you see here is completely stock.

View from rear of car:

View of left rear spring from behind the tire.

View of right rear spring, standing where the right rear tire would be if it weren't removed:

View of the front right brake/suspension assembly, tire removed:

View of the left rear wheel/brake/suspension/axle. Taken from right under the muffler.

View of the bottom of the engine, from the front, looking up. Crank pulley front and center.

View of trans, cats, and oil filter. Looks like I have a little leak, or maybe the oil change guys are a little sloppy. Taken from beneath the driver's door.

View of the rear suspension including stock panhard bar, taken from just behind the right rear brake disc.

Rear end of the driveshaft where it connects to the diff, from the right side of the car. A section of exhaust pipe is visible too.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-06-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Pictures!

Fuel filter and brake lines, looking left from beneath the driveshaft.

Similar to previous, angled more towards the rear of the car. Rear shock and other suspension components are visible.

View of right rear suspension bump stop (showing how close it is to the tire), taken from behind the tire.

View of left rear shock and spring, with the brake lines, fuel lines, and ABS sensor harness connectors visible on the body behind it.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-06-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:56 PM

why post these? as reference?

EDIT: sorry I just don't see how these could be of any use...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I have 7-megapixel versions of these. It seems to me that they could be somewhat informative. If anyone wants a high-res copy, feel free to ask.
Originally Posted by fredmr39
why post these? as reference?
Check that out, I answered your question before you asked it.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

More specifically, I posted these because lots of guys have 4th-gens, but not everyone has time to get under the car and look when they want to see how something is put together. I've owned my car for almost a year now, and this is the first time I've been underneath it. I know I would have liked to get a look at these pictures back when I bought the car, and I'm offering them up for anyone else who wants to know what it looks like under there.

I have a pretty nice camera and plenty of hosting space on the web, so I thought I would share these.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:03 PM

ah! -- I read it as the 7 megs could be more informative..or something? Didn't read into it much because my mind sees pictures and prefers those over words -- looks nice and clean under there btw
Old 06-10-2006, 06:05 PM

I find this to be quite useful. It's good to see the underside of the car and know what's what. Not many pictures like this out there, could be used as a good reference.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fredmr39
looks nice and clean under there btw
Thanks. I was glad to discover that myself. The car has never been driven in snow, which is saying something considering that I'm in Michigan. With 56,000 miles on it, I can hardly complain about how things look under there.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Pertaining to the underside picture of your engine and transmission:

That oil is probably seeping from a faulty gasket/manifold due to not totally sealing its perimeter from the factory.

My car has the same seepage. Every time I change my oil, I wipe it all down and the next time I change it, it's back. I think I'm only losing about 2 ounces of oil at the most and my mech. says it's not a big deal.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SFB767
My car has the same seepage. Every time I change my oil, I wipe it all down and the next time I change it, it's back. I think I'm only losing about 2 ounces of oil at the most and my mech. says it's not a big deal.
Thanks, I was hoping somebody would be able to fill me in on that.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 PM

Yes, helpful. However there is one particular angle that I need which is obscured by the torque arm. It's the emergency brake cable mounts and the rear seat belt stud mounting brackets. I'm trying to adapt some fourth-gen speed parts to my third-gen and it looks as if the transmission tunnels are slightly different.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:57 AM

Is that a salvage/rebuilt car?
Old 10-20-2006, 05:58 AM

damn i love those ealge F1s.. saw them on a corvette one and it looked so awesome.. too bad i cant afford them
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ROADRAGE
Is that a salvage/rebuilt car?
No salvage, but yes, I guess you can say its rebuilt. The quest to go ever faster has resulted in the replacement of everything that twists, turns, or otherwise rotates.

Now it looks as if I need to cut open the transmission tunnel in order to widen it so that I can clear the new torque arm design.

...or were you referring to Jake's beautiful Camaro which is one of the finest in Meridian Township?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 AM

Very clean underbody. I'm surprised it took you so long to look under there. That was one of the first places I would check when I was on the hunt for an f-body since I am in the Chicago area and alot of the cars I looked at were in pretty poor shape due to road salt abuse.

Quick Reply: Reference Photos of Stock Underbody