LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Car doesn't start, just clicks...???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:30 PM

Car doesn't start, just clicks...???

Sorry mods if this is in the wrong spot but i didn't find an "ignition" specific area.

Anywho, when i go to start the car, it will just click. The solenoid in the starter (i think) isn't getting good enough contact and just "clicking". I have to turn the key back and forth between the "on" position and "start" position kind of fast before it'll start. I have to do this maybe anywhere's from 5-30 times before it'll engage and start. It has no starting problems once it starts turning over, it's just the actual engaging that's doing it. I just got done taking out my starter (which was fun) and cleaning the living crud out of it. I took the actual starter motor off itself and then sprayed the whole gears and solenoid and everything with carb/choke cleaner until it was completely clean. Then lightly greased the gears again and put it back in there. but i still have the same darn problem as i did before It just clicks and doesn't turn over no matter how long i hold the key in the "start" position. If i don't let it prime it'll usually turn over right away 80% of the time, but it still wants to stop and click. I'm kind of lost now, help is really needed.

ShibbyZ
Old 08-30-2005, 07:14 PM

Re: Car doesn't start, just clicks...???

When ever the solenoid clicks it's because it's not getting enough current. Either the battery is low/shot or there is a wiring problem reducing the current to it or the switch is bad. The last possibility is the starter is bad and pulling too much current.

The obvious thing to do is process of elimination. Put a non good battery directly to the starter and eliminate everything the starter. Then go back on the wiring until the battery and leave the switch for last.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 PM

i had the same problem about a month ago, my grond wire to my battery had came loose so i just tightened it up and it started right up. also make sure the contacts to the battery are free of corrosion.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 PM

Ok, i'll check it out. So far it hasn't clicked now after i cleaned it for probly 20 times in a row. So maybe that's a good sign. *knocks on wood and crosses fingers* It did have a ton of junk in it and gum looking stuff. Kind of like it chewed some old cloth and grease together in the gears. Actually...that might explain why it's starting to work now, i took the battery off when i took it out and put it back on when i installed it...maybe i tightened it up or something. It's a brand new battery too.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 PM

My solenoid is just about shot and i have to clean it like once a month or so and make sure that it is moving in and out easily. Could be a loose cable too. I would just check cables and then try, after that i would take the solenoid of off the starter and clean it so the plunger moves in and out easily.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:35 PM

I had the same problem. Check your battery terminals and make sure they are clean and not loose. Sometimes putting mods in makes them rattle.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:55 PM

Checked all my connection at every possible location and i sanded them down and they have good contact. It still does it, could i possibly just need to clean the starter out more?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM

My car did this, I jumped it for 10 minutes and it fired up. Give it a shot.. might just need juice.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:56 PM

There are only two wires that go on the starter-the small purple wire and the large cable from the battery. Is this what you have?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:03 PM

There's a large cable and a small cable, yes. Then there's a third from the actual starter motor to the solenoid that engages it. I cleaned those off and they're good. Could i just have a bad solenoid, which would mean i need a new starter?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:33 PM

I know this sounds off the wall, but do you have VATS? If so, your key could be making intermittent contact. If all else fails, or if you get tired of messing with the starter/solenoid check it out
Old 08-31-2005, 09:48 PM

Do like i told you and clean the selinoid...if you determine that is the problem then a new one is like 45 bucks, a new starter is like 200 bucks...hmm.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:07 PM

I did clean the solenoid, i cleaned the whole dang starter minus the actual starter motor. I held the can of choke/carb cleaner down in there until it was running clear again. It's seems to be better but still does it, just doesn't do it 30 times anymore.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:19 PM

I have a 1994 camaro z28 LT1, we just put a new starter and alternator and battery on. All the wires to and from the battery have been replaced and fixed. The car just clicks when you try and turn it over, it will only turn over when the starter is being banged on. Could this mean I need a new starter or a bigger battery? bc I’ve went over everything and we can’t figure out why it’s not turning over right away. Any advice please let me know!!!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:40 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by Bret.worley
I have a 1994 camaro z28 LT1, we just put a new starter and alternator and battery on. All the wires to and from the battery have been replaced and fixed. The car just clicks when you try and turn it over, it will only turn over when the starter is being banged on. Could this mean I need a new starter or a bigger battery? bc I’ve went over everything and we can’t figure out why it’s not turning over right away. Any advice please let me know!!!
Assuming no other issues, perhaps the new starter is bad. The fact that it turns over when you bang on it leads me to believe there is an issue with the starter. You can bench test it to see if the motor is bad.. I would probably want to make sure the battery is good before taking the starter off the car etc.

How long has it been since your car ran?

Quick Reply: Car doesn't start, just clicks...???