Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

What is the type of paint used on a black camaro so I can paint the spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:13 AM

Post What is the type of paint used on a black camaro so I can paint the spoiler

The spoiler on my 97 camaro rs is all spotted and completly ruined from the sun since it is a piece of fiberglass junk. My dad is a house painter and says he has the neccisary tools to paint my spoiler back to normal but he just needs to know what the specific paint type, number, and color that would go on a black rs spoiler. Any info would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks.

------------------
97 black camaro RS
m5, tint, flowmasters
more to come when money starts growing on trees
Old 06-27-2002, 08:15 AM

Its base coat/clear coat. You will need base, clear, base maker, hardener, and several other chemicals to do it right. The paint code I think is in the glove box.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 06-27-2002, 01:15 PM

...or the code may be located at the driver door jamb.

It should be WA8555, base/clear as Kevin said.

Just buying paint and painting the spoiler may not satisfy you. Spend the extra cash to have the black color matched to your car. Just ordering the WA8555 formula from your local supplier and having it painted will likely result in a difference in color between the new and original paint where the spoiler meets the body. Someone may tell you "black is black", but that's not the case. There are reddish (brown) blacks, black blacks, blueish blacks.....Each paint batch is slightly different, so even the same year/color Camaro's may not be exactly the same color.

You dad may have painting equipment, but the gun tips and caps for 'house paint' are designed for different materials than auto paints. Also, the gun must be 100% free of house paint residue as the two are not compatible.

Because you will most likely have to buy much more paint than you need, you will most likely spend more doing it yourself than paying a bodyshop to do it. They can get the paint color matched and mixed at a discount. If you remove the spoiler for them so the labor is less you can probably get it done quite cheaply.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2002, 02:18 PM

Yeah, you will probably get it done cheaper at a body shop, as the shop will already have clear, hardener, base maker in stock and all they need to do is mix about a pint of your base and they are ready to spray.

------------------
96 Black Impala SS
Authorized Zaino Showcar Polish Distributor
www.zainobros.com
Remember #3
Old 06-29-2002, 01:26 PM

Yep, get it done at a body shop... probably cost you $100-125 if that. You'll spend just about that on the paint by itself, so I wouldn't bother.

I also don't see why you are calling the spoiler junk?

------------------
Javier
'97 Bright Green Metallic Z28
13.514 @ 101.86 (trapped 102 mph before as well)
A4, 3.23, Hooker Catback, Hooker Longtubes, SLP Cold Air, Hypertech 160* thermo, !TB Bypass, Hotchkis Panhard Rod, BMR Trailing Arms, Chrome 17x9 GM ZR1 Wheels, "Z28" Silver Reflective Concept Badges...

South Florida F-Body Association http://www.sffba.com
Old 07-01-2002, 08:45 AM

So not only will it likely look much nicer if you pay a shop to do it, you can have them re-do it for free if the paint screws up.
Old 07-04-2002, 05:00 PM

I believe that WA-8555 is just straight black,no reds or blues,so there should be no issue of the paint matching.

Mike

------------------
1995 Flame Red Trans Am M6,3.42 (Factory Gear),T-Tops,Black Leather. K&N FIPK,Comp Cams Airfoil,98+ Taillights,GTS Foglight Blackouts