Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Whatever happened to Autofom??? Blue coral product

Old 08-07-2003, 09:45 PM

Question Whatever happened to Autofom??? Blue coral product

Hey guys,

A few years back there was an infomercial from blue coral for a product called autofom, some actor named dennis hosted it. Whatever happened to that stuff? I dont even see it in stores anywhere. Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 AM

I assume it is discontinued, I stil have an old can of it.....
Old 08-08-2003, 10:47 AM

Lightbulb

Hmm, I haven't seen that product in a loooong time.

Here is Blue Coral's official answer to the AutoFom mystery:

Is Autofom® still being produced?
No. Autofom® has been updated by Rain-X® Ultra Wax.

Is Touchless still being produced?
No. Touchless has been discontinued and currently there
is no replacement.

I'm am going to be testing the RainX Ultra Wax soon, as it supposedly contains a UV agent and it's a polymer (I think). Not sure if it contains abrasives/cleaners though.

Mike
Old 08-09-2003, 01:47 AM

I used it many moons ago on my red'92 RS. I thought it had a really great shine. My car looked like glass. However, it didn't bead water for spit. My car sat under the carport under a car cover and never got driven in the rain. But even at that, the stuff didn't last.

I think the last time I saw AutoFom was back in the mid 90's. I quit using it, and I had the old can for several years after that.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:52 PM

I was wondering what happened to that stuff, I used to use it, it really made the car shine.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Re: Whatever happened to Autofom??? Blue coral product

I'd like to know what happened to it too! Back in the day, I used Blue Coral Rain Dance. Then they came out with Autofom and i saw the infomercial too and was impressed. Supposedly "Fomblin A" was what NASA used on the belly tiles of the shuttle to protect them @re-entry... anyway, if I remember right, they put lighter fluid on the hood and lit it up! No damage! Then they said it would also repel dust... took the car down a dirt road and almost no dust stuck to the treated side! The kicker was it was a once a year sealant! I was sold! Stopped seeing it in the late 90's... once in awhile I'd see a couple of cans in a mom n pop store and would buy what they had... Anyway, I've mostly been using spray can "easy wax"... Just found a very old can and decided to use it. That stuff was still Good! Went on and came off very easy, minimal effort! Shines like glass on a nearly 20 yr old paint job!! Anyway my take on why it was discontinued was because IT'S TOO GOOD! I used it and only it for yrs on my old pickup for the entire 17 yrs I had that truck, and ppl still came up @ gas stations and asked who painted my truck? Ford I replied... you took it to a dealer for a paint job? No, that's factory... no way! What year? '95 I said.... no way, come on tell me who? Refused to believe that it was factory paint! Happened quite often! Too bad I wrecked her after 17 yrs!! Anyway, I'm stick in to my story that paint companies didn't want it out there!! Or maybe my suspicious mind, maybe? Lol... Anyway , if this new Rain X product doesn't advertise "Fomblin A", it prob doesn't have it or all the advantages of it either!! Okay, there's my endorsement/rant!! Thanks for stick in with it!! 😎
Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Maybe Blue Coral was too busy scamming people with Slick-50.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...-50-ltd-matter
Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Lol Slick 50