Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

car paint questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 PM

car paint questions

im going to be primering my car this winter ive never done this an dont really have to thousands of dollars to get a car painted so im wondering what is the best but easiest primer to use i plan on painting the car black but for now i just want to primer it so its all one color thank you
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Re: car paint questions

Painted a car once with the Duplicolor system. Very easy to use, but can become expensive buying quart after quart. What ever primer you decide to go with, make sure you lay down a sealer after you prime. Bare primer absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and would result in an inferior paint job if left to sit bare for more than a week. Im not sure if Duplicolor offers there system in gallons as I was the painter not the buyer, but it would be cheaper if they offer gallons
Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 AM

Whos going to do the body/prep work? Not trying to sound mean but any little ding that is missed or any high sport/waves in the new paint will be very noticible--- just take you time-- take your time taping everything off as well as peeling it off--ive seen alot of people with bad tape jobs take the paint/primer off with tape and it flacking---ive always used OMNI (ppg brand) paint products for customers cars and have had no issues with the outcome-- i used omni on my engine bay and it came out great--for my car i used all ppg-- black is cheap the tape/sandpaper/primer/reducer etc.. is whats going to get you-- a nice epoxy primer is always good to..good luck!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM

i spray dupont or ppg and Zfbod94 is right but if your not going to move right to paint then leave it in primer then when your ready to paint get some guide coat 3m is the most cost effective about $30 then block sand the car with 400 grit paper dry to find any imperfections fix them re prime guide coat sand 400 dry if all imperfections are gone wet sand with 600 grit then lay your sealer most sealer only have an 8 hour window to lay your paint hope this helps and paintings not that hard getting the body and prep work is a little tougher
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM

my primer i found (Duplicolor) is $27 a quart any idea how many ill need? and ill be doing the boy work myself i got lucky and i have no dent and a straight body my front clip got smashed damn deer so i just replaced the fenders bumper and hood wasnt the cheapest way but i figured since im doing all the work to it myself i just start with fresh undamaged parts any suggestions on brand of tape or reasonably priced paint gun i dont plan on becoming a painter but if im buying on i mise well get one i can use again and again
Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Just for thought is there a macco paint shop in your area ? there was a commercial on tv today
they will paint your car for 399 holiday special I'm sure that they don't give you the best products
on the market but you can upgrade to fit your budget if you wanted to .
and if you just want to paint the car your self I will tell you just as some one else has said take your time attention to detail is what makes a nice paint job ....
Old 12-10-2012, 06:57 PM

ive heard to many bad stories to go to macco and i like doing as much work myself as possible on the cars
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM

I also have heard some bad stories but I have seen some of there work on some of the gangster rides around town the ones I have seen look good !! don't know how long they will hold up ??
I have painted and restored a tractor & a old 210 John deer ridding mower I bought the paint gun from harbor fright for about a hundred dollars or less a cheap paint gun but it worked fine...
if you have your old hood use it to set up your paint gun so the gun is not spitting are blowing to much air so you can get the feel of things. you will need an oil dryer to keep the moisture out and
you will be able to have more pressure control
Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM

you could buy a devilbiss finishline gun there about $200 depending on where you get it but it comes with everything you need (regulator,cup,1.5 1.3 1.8 tips) and they spray very well for an entry level gun i still use mine a lot
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM

Yea I wouldnt waste you time with Macco. Even if they do a good job, which is hit or miss, the clear or "single stage" paint they use wont last for more than a year and you'll be kicking yourself. I personally use a Sharp Finex spray gun with a 1.4 tip. Works great for my projects. As ParkersZ28 said, harbor freight isnt a bad choice either. I believe the offer a 3 pack, comes with a primer gun, small spot gun and main color gun for about $50 that Ive seen. Devilbliss is also a good gun, but a lil to pricy for me. They also have guns up to like $600 for the serious painters.

Take your time doing the body work. As Mutlyi4 stated, prime, guide coat, block sand, prime, guide coat, wet sand, Sealer. the body work is where a paint job either shines or falls flat on its face. And any more questions, just post up and well guide you through it. Seems more intimidating than it is.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 PM

. Devilbliss is also a good gun, but a lil to pricy for me. They also have guns up to like $600 for the serious painters.
.[/QUOTE]
i use a harbor frieght gun for primer devilbiss for base coat and i have a sata 4000 for clear coat but yea these guns are not cheap sata 4000 ail run ya about $800 with a cup