Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Bar(s)? to scan drivers license (checks criminal records) to allow entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 11:24 PM

Bar(s)? to scan drivers license (checks criminal records) to allow entry

Hordsak Says (hope you don't me quotin you dude) in another thread

I do all the work on the till's for alot of bars, and <what ever bar> is going to be introducing a new way of managing patrons (so to speak). The new system will scan your drivers licence (have to have one or no admittance) and find out if you have a criminal record ect ect.. they want to weed out all the trouble makers.. and keep the age 25+.

--------------

I havn't done any research into this, but I love the idea...

Invasion of privacy? It'll allow you to be tracked via your trips to the bar, etc...

but, if you don't like it, just don't go... I think its a great idea... But then i'm not into the bar scene either so it doesn't really affect me.

What does everything think?
Old 11-14-2003, 01:31 AM

In some ways I think it is a good idea, but I can see some downfalls as well, although every bar isnt implementing this. I would say it would be good if all did, and well some could not be so focussed on the age. I am sure it would definately cut down some problems, but then again you are just putting the trouble some where else when you shut it out of one place
Old 11-14-2003, 01:43 AM

yeah youd get all the trouble makers in one bar!

but seriously could you imagine trying to ask for ID from a patch wearing hells angel? im sorry sir you cannot come in
Old 11-14-2003, 01:45 AM

It does sound like an invasion of privacy but it will help curtail problems at the bar. Too many fights , stabbings and even shootings. Some gang members hang out at certain clubs too, not gonna mention who or where though.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:03 AM

It doesn't check for criminal records, it just checks to see if you've been flagged by other bars as being obnoxious.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:05 AM

oh well thats different then. i guess not too many would be on that list then.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:15 AM

its still a massive invasion of privacy .. i sure as hell wouldnt wanna goto the bars that keep track of you ... **** that .. whats next .. tattoo a barcode behind everyones neck ???
Old 11-14-2003, 02:33 AM

i think its a good idea to keep trouble makers out of clubs and bars. i think its a invasion of privacy that most would be willing to participate in. everyone wants to feel safe.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:00 AM

If they didn't let anyone in with a criminal record the bar's would be dead.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Drumhawk
If they didn't let anyone in with a criminal record the bar's would be dead.
whoah I agree with Dumbhawk....... dealers spend the money
Old 11-14-2003, 03:45 AM

Yo Todd, agreeing with someone with the word "dumb" in there name doesn't make you look too smart. I'm the drummer boy not the dumber boy.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:50 AM

ive never felt unsafe or threatened in a club .. so i personally dont see the reason to give up my privacy for safety

like i said . I probably WONT goto a club that would keep track of me... i dont care how safe it is

but then again . if this system gets implemented, it will consequently make the bars without this verification system that much less safe .. cuz all the crooked people will end up goin to those bars

either this town needs a new mayor, or the need to officially call it a retirement town
Old 11-14-2003, 11:55 AM

Ohhh, if not criminal record just the notes from other bars, thats quite different, but still a good idea.

But its not really an invasion of privacy if you agree to it. We do it all the time with bank cards, credit cards, etc... We're totally being tracked and marketed to based on that so I dn't really see this as being much different really.

But being from a small place with little crime (small communities in Newfoundland) and moving here, seeing the news and all the shootings and savage beatings that go on, i would NOT feel safe in a bar. I don't feel safe @ skytrain stations some times, hehe let alone in bars full of drunk gangs of people
Old 11-14-2003, 03:06 PM

For me, I couldn't care if they scan me or not... and that's not the problem. The problem is that it's WAY too easy for bouncers to double scan and keep information for themselves.

I've got a female friend that was stalked all the way through our 2 years at BCIT. And she's totally paranoid about giving out information. If they go ahead with this, she'll never hit the clubs again.

And I see where she's coming from, bouncers don't take tests to check morality or anything. They can carry self scanners, review make logs and sell the information easily. I doubt anyone would notice until everyone's information was out there.

I bet they start scanning licenses to record drinks when you order them... then the cops can pull the number out of the system and know exactly how many shots you had before you drove home.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:17 PM

Quick Reply: Bar(s)? to scan drivers license (checks criminal records) to allow entry