Outside of United States Canada and Other Countries

Importing European Camaro in Canada

Old 01-07-2003, 10:19 AM

Arrow Importing European Camaro in Canada

Dear sirs,
I have bought a Camaro Z28 (Model 2001) in Belgium (Europe) about 2 yrs ago. I'm moving to Canada by 2004 and would very much like to take my beloved car with me. Now, I understand that the Canadian requirements differ from the European standards, and I realize it will need some adjustments to make the car legal on the other side of the ocean. However, I never get a decent reply from either Chevrolet Canada, nor Chevrolet Belgium. If you could provide me, through your extensive experience or contacts, with a list of things I need to adjust, I would be really grateful. I understand that this is an unusual question, but your help would mean a whole lot to me. I couldn't stand to sell my wonderful Z28 knowing that they have stopped production now.
Once again, many thanks for your cooperation,
Dragonking.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:35 AM

The only thing I can think of is being able to pass an emissions test over here. Does your car have any pollution control equip. on it (catalytic convertor)?

I'm sure others will help out in here.

Bob
Old 01-07-2003, 12:43 PM

Canadian requirements....

It does have a catalytic converter, but I have heard that emission requirements are indeed different, although I'm pretty certain those in Europe are more strict. If I need to comply to the specific Canadian requirements concerning emissions, does it suffice just to put another converter, or is it more complicated ?
There are probably also some small things like direction indicators etc that need to be adjusted, but I no clue what exactly is different. If you have ideas where to find those requirements, pls don't hesitate to let me know... I could use all help I can get... :-)... Tkx...

Dragonking.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:51 PM

From what I gather.... after numerous conversations on import boards regarding importing Skylines and Lancer EVOs, etc... Canada is EXTREMELY strict on importing cars. As in, no chance in hell. Regardless or whether or not it meets emissions, crash standards, etc. If it is not an officially Canadian market car, it WILL NOT be allowed in. I will try to find the site that had the information on it.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:02 PM

Yeah, I just called Canadian Customs for you. 1-613-998-8616 option 2. If the vehicle was built after 1988, you CANNOT import it. Upon arrival at the border, you will have to return it, or destroy it, at your cost. Vehicles older than 1988 (15yrs+) are considered antiques.

Goddamn, I'm a helpful guy.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:33 PM

That sucks.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:22 PM

Really bad luck !!

Mike, tkx a lot for your help... I really appreciate it...
I must say it's a huge disappointment, even the thought to have to leave my dreamcar here.... Okay, so Canadian Customs won't import it... Would there be a way to return the car to the original manufacturer (in Montreal, I believe), and have them resell the car to me once it's altered ? It's a long shot, but who knows ?
I'm just trying to find some solution, and yes, everything will do, no matter the cost, to have that car in Canada...
Any constructive ideas, anyone ?
Appreciate your help, guys !!
Dragonking.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM

we brought back a benz from germany. it came into a dock in canada, where my dad picked it up and drove it to the states. canada didnt care, and US didnt mind either. he even drove it with a EU license plate from canada to the US, and the customs people never asked. the car wasnt titled or didnt have insurance until we had it in the states for like 3months. i can talk my dad to see all what he had to do and what not if u like.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:52 PM

Location: Windsor, Canada: Home of the FASTEST LT1 & LS1 6 spds :)
Thumbs down WTF?!?!?!?!?!???????

i can't believe that! how is it that i brought over the car i bought in the states, to canada?

it is a canadian market car, that was even built here, damnit that really blows.
why exactly can't it come over? i just called but of course their offices close at 4:30pm. i am gonna call them tomorrow and give them a piece of my canadian mind
Old 01-07-2003, 06:19 PM

I'm very pleased to see all those reactions ! As I said earlier, all help is welcome, I just don't want to leave that car behind. You all know how great it is to drive a Z28, imagine if they take it away...
Well, if there is a porthole, I'm sure we'll find it with your help ! Keep looking, and let me know about all details....
I checked out the Transport Canada website, and they tell me a car can not be altered. I have the impression they don't WANT it altered.. :-(
It's a very depressing situation...
Dragonking.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:40 PM

Where there is a will there is a way. Just a thought off the top of my head. Do you have any friends/family in the U.S.A.? I think it would be a lot easier to get the car in the U.S.A. Have the car sent here and possibly sell it to someone you trust. Have it converted to U.S.A. specs. I think getting a U.S.A. car into canada is pretty easy. As Taner said he had no problem. It may cost a few dollars but it may be your only option. Keep us updated on your progress. I couldnt even imagine not being able to bring my car if I had to move.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:42 PM

well there is the RIV .... i had to do a couple of things within i think it was 30 days.
daytime running lights
child safety restraints
of course emissions
oh of course there was a nominal fee of $180 as well for the RIV

that was pretty much it. i also had to get it saftied, all cars when bought used had to be saftied, you would have to do that regardless, no big deal.

RIV.... registrar of import vehicles
Old 01-08-2003, 05:55 PM

Heard from Chevrolet Canada today that the car will not be accepted because of its RIV.... It shows clearly it was built according European standards, and they don't allow alterations. That makes it almost unconditionally.... :-(
I'm going to investigate importing it into the US. If I can get it accross the ocean, we might get a small step closer to our destination.
Somebody has an idea how to bypass that damn RIV number ?
Any of you know a reliable mechanic/dealer/collector in the Halifax region BTW ? Maybe he could help me out with some of the technical stuff I have to take in mind....
Old 01-08-2003, 06:59 PM

Angry

well i too called todaay, mike was right on the money, not that i doubted him i just wanted to find out what the difference was between a u.s. car and a european car. yes it is because the changes would be too drastic. you may try the states route. but you i don't think it looks good to get it back into canada if that is your goal.

sorry 'bout the luck!
Old 01-10-2003, 03:31 PM

I'm wondering how drastic the changes would really have to be, (this is not a right hand drive car is it?)...

I would try to call GM a find out EXACTLY what changes were made.

There has got to be a way Dragonking can get his ride into the great white north...

I wish you luck
larry

Last edited by maniacc; 01-10-2003 at 03:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing European Camaro in Canada