Outside of United States Canada and Other Countries

Importing a car into canada as parts - ac excise applicable??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Importing a car into canada as parts - ac excise applicable??

I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this or has had some experience with this. I picked up a wrecked 94 Camaro that I was importing strictly for the purpose of parts. I fill out the RIV form that states it dismantled for parts only, but they charged me $100 c/c the car is equipped with AC. I was under the impression that that only applied to cars being imported to be put back on the road.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 AM

Laws are changing weekly regarding importing cars into Canada. Calls went from 1000/month to currently 5000/month. I know of a new Turbo Porsche near Buffalo that the Canadian Govt will not let in. When the owner bought it in USA, he had it all figured out how much he had to pay and by the time he got the car to the customs compound, the laws had changed and the Canadian Govt said it is not coming into the country period.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 PM

I did some calling.

I talked to Canada Border Protection and they told me it applied. I ask what it covers. He give me a number at Canada Revenue to call.

I call Canada Revenue and talk to them and ask if it applies and what it covers. I get transfered to a higher level person, who gives me a number in Ottawa to call for a ruling.

I call that number, and they tell me it only applies to cars being imported to be put on the road and not for cars being imported as parts. They give me the number of a form to fill out so I can get my overpayment back, but I have to wait till June or December depending on when the overpayment occurred.

Long story short, seems you don't have to pay AC Excise on imported vehicles.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM

I imported my car last winter into Canada from Ohio, it was a fairly easy process, I just had the previous owner send the title to the border 72 housr prior to bringing the actual car accross, no problems at the US border, then at the Canadian border i paid PST or GST, i forget and went on my way. I had to get the car certified at a specific shop, mine was canadian tire because they know what is needed for the US vehicles, (day-time running lights etc.), good luck with it all, things i have heard have changed due to the comparable prices between CAN and US.