New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

New 1LE Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:07 AM

Re: New 1LE Owner

Originally Posted by squarehead
What class or run group did the original owner participate in?
You know - I'm not 100% sure. In the documentation is a whole sheet of recorded tracks times and locations along with the miles for each day, but there is no log book. Might have even just been HPDE type events.

Now that the car is running well - I'm turning my attention to other things. The interior is very nice, but the headliner material is sagging. That's probably next on my list of fixes. I've also realized I need to get the car on a lift and take an inventory of the suspension mods. The PO advertised the car with a Global West torque arm, but it's not - it's a Random Technologies torque arm. It also has tubular front LCA's but it looks like only the lowers and not the uppers - no idea of the brand. Springs are definitely Eibach and rear panhard bar is definitely Hotchkis. No idea on sway bar sizes or brands either.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM

I've been keeping a watch on Craiglist, eBay etc. for a set of wheels and tires to replace the chrome ZR1 reps that are on my car currently. Came across a set of lightly used C5 replicas fitted with Falken RT615-K's on Craigslist and bought them home;

I'm still going to keep and eye out for an original set of SS wheels, but these should suit the car much better than what's on there now.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 PM

Yes I think you scored on those wheels! Post a pic when you get them on the car.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM

Finally had a warm enough day to get the Camaro out of storage and swap the wheels on;

Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM

Hi Pontiacs, That looks much better IMO. The black center really works with the black roof of the 1LE.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:54 PM

Took care of a couple of items that have been bugging me;

Replaced the mangled power distribution block, with a reproduction one;

And replaced the chewed up front air dam with a new GM one;

Old 04-26-2019, 05:35 PM

No pictures, but I just got done replacing the (sagging) headliner. I'm guessing that's a pretty straightforward job on most 4th gens - but it was a royal B*TCH with the roll bar in place.

For anyone that's looking for one, I ended up buying mine from Rock Auto. It came in somewhere around $130. Fit and finish is pretty good, but you do have to trim all of the openings for the seat belts, rear light, sunvisors etc.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Administrator

The original headliner in my Formula is beginning to sag. I anticipated a problem with the roll bar, particularly after I told the shop I wanted it as close to the roof as possible. Hope my T-tops don’t complicate it even more.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The original headliner in my Formula is beginning to sag. I anticipated a problem with the roll bar, particularly after I told the shop I wanted it as close to the roof as possible. Hope my T-tops don’t complicate it even more.
My roll bar is a Competition Engineering 4 point - it touches the headliner on the corners. I think if I'd had my original fibre-board headliner recovered, I wouldn't have got it back in without breaking it. The replacement headliner is ABS plastic so I could bend and twist it into place around the roll bar without it cracking or breaking. The toughest part was getting it over the roll bar while at the same time forcing it under the seat belt retractors.

My car is also a hard top - I think the job would be easier on a t-top car.

Either way - I'm definitely glad it's done!
Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 PM
Administrator

The T-top headliner may be more flexible. I don't have any factory belts, no back seat, 5-points for both front seats. Also don’t have visors... weight reduction carried to the extreme. Made filler plates from aluminum and painted them to match the headliner.

But the bar is custom made chrome moly, and he actually bowed the top bar upwards to conform to the inner contour of the roof. If worse comes to worse, I figure I could get the ABS headliner, and cut it into front and back 1/2’s, so the seam would be hidden directly above the roll bar. Would make it a simple install...... I think.

Some photos in this thread, although the factory belts were still installed.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/app...2/#post6995905
Old 06-16-2019, 06:42 AM

1st autocross yesterday - what a blast! With the 4:10's I was able to stay in 2nd the entire course. It's the first time I've opened the exhaust cutout and it wasn't nearly as obnoxious as I though it would be. There were 40+ cars total - so we got to do 5 runs. My wife drove as well so 10 total. The car never skipped a beat. Very short start video;

Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 AM

Glad you got your car back on track. How did you place?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by squarehead
Glad you got your car back on track. How did you place?
We were both near the bottom of the field, but did pretty well overall out of the 10 or so novices that ran. My wife surprised the hell out me by being very competitive - our best times of the day she was only a couple of seconds behind me. We both took out some cones but didn't go off course on any of our runs. Definitely a big learning curve, but our times dropped with every subsequent run - down around 15 seconds from the first run to the last.

I have my car setup with the Track Addict app and a rollbar mounted GoPro but we were having so much fun I forgot to record any of our runs. Next time for sure.

The car is definitely better than both of us - it would be pretty quick in the right hands.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 PM

Car is still running great - and times are improving with every event. LT1's cooling down between runs today;

Old 08-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Hi Pontiacs,

Glad to hear you are making progress with the autocross project. Thanks for updating this thread.

Quick Reply: New 1LE Owner