CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introduction (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/new-member-introduction-118/)
-   -   Greeting all (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/new-member-introduction-118/greeting-all-878414/)

MarcellJ 03-13-2014 11:37 AM

Greeting all

Wants going on fellow car guys? Just wanted to say what's happening. I'm a new member, and I live in Tracy, Ca.

Just got a stock 1994 Chevy Z28, with a 93 LT engine that runs good.

I would only to get about 50 more hp from the motor.

I'm considering the following items, and I know it's all trial and error. And really can't afford a cam, or headers. I know those items will make a big difference.

1. Cold air intake
2. Underdrive pulley
3. 180 degree thermostat(needed anyway).
4. Ported 52mm throttle body.

The cost of a good cold air intake kit and a ported 52MM throttle are the same. Which of these two items would be best to purchase?

I really just cruise my car, but every once and while I have the need for speed. Let me know

Injuneer 03-13-2014 12:56 PM

Re: Greeting all

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!

Copy and paste the tech questions to the "LT1 Based Engine Tech" forum, and you will get help.

Of the mods you listed:

-the cold air intake is a good idea, the best first mod.

-the U/D pulley produces very little gain and can contribute to charging problems. Here's a dyno test showing a peak gain ot 0.7 HP (yes, 7/10's of one HP):

Drivetrain Modifications #2

His full website will give you dyno tests of popular mods:

WS6.COM LT1 Trans Am

-you should already have a stock 180* t'stat. The replacement woult be a 160*, which will only benefit you if you have the fan on/off temps reprogrammed and push the ignition advance up a couple degrees. You need a "tune" to do that. Are you using the 94PCM (flash program) or the 93 ECM (removable chip)?

-You won't see much from a 52mm throttle body on a stock engine.

You can get close to your goal with the CAI, 160* t'stat with a complete PCM reprogram (lean out the overly rich target A/F ratio in power enrichment mode = WOT), and a 3" mandrel-bent catback. Maybe go for a set of 1.6X full roller rockers to make the last few HP.

TedH 03-14-2014 08:34 AM

Welcome to the site. :) When I began modifying my 1994 I found the cold air intake and a set of headers were the two best modifications in terms of bang for the buck. A cat back certainly helps, but I did the headers first a noticed a significant drop in quarter mile ET and a rise in quarter mile mph. When I later installed the cat back it sounded much better but I was unable to quantify an actual increase in performance. The stock throttle body should be fine in an otherwise unmolested car. The 160 degree thermostat is helpful if and when you reprogram the computer to take advantage of modifications. If you are not touching the computer I would stay with the 180 degree thermostat.

Chevy Cust Svc 03-19-2014 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by MarcellJ (Post 6959410)
Wants going on fellow car guys? Just wanted to say what's happening. I'm a new member, and I live in Tracy, Ca.

Just got a stock 1994 Chevy Z28, with a 93 LT engine that runs good.

Welcome MarcellJ!

Glad you decided to join us :). How does it feel to be a Camaro owner?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care