Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Can I borrow a snowmobile?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 07:06 AM

Can I borrow a snowmobile?

I need a snowmobile, just for a day, maybe two.

I promise to take excellent care of it and fix anything I break.

- Dan
Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

Re: Can I borrow a snowmobile?

that's funny
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by young maro
that's funny

Only if you don't know Dan. He's very meticulous and as honest as the day is long. If I had one to loan, I'd be happy to let him use it.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'd let you borrow mine, but they are in the shop, as usual.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM

You didn't roll it over on the lake or get runned over by some ****** on a Arty-cat Thundercat crossing from the wrong direction or anything, I hope??

Well anyway, I need a vacation really bad, and I had to sell off my vintage sleds. I've got an offer to go up north with a friend to his family cottage for a snowmobile trip, but I have nothing to run.

It's been a rough, rough twelve months ~
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by ws6transam
You didn't roll it over on the lake or get runned over by some ****** on a Arty-cat Thundercat crossing from the wrong direction or anything, I hope??
That's pretty funny. Either you knew there was an incident a couple of years ago on the lake and you are referencing it, or you didn't know about the incident and the mentioning is hilariously coincidental. Which one?

Regardless, that didn't happen this time. On mine, the driveshaft bearing somehow fused to the driveshaft, and spun bad enough to ruin the shaft, bearing, housing, etc... UGH...I am told it happened before I bought it. It is going to cost me. Plus it had the wrong secondary clutch on it. So, I took it to someone who can straighten it out once and for all. When buying a used sled, count on it being previously owned by an idiot.

Well anyway, I need a vacation really bad, and I had to sell off my vintage sleds. I've got an offer to go up north with a friend to his family cottage for a snowmobile trip, but I have nothing to run.
Wish I could help you out!

It's been a rough, rough twelve months ~
What happened?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 PM

ha !

Yeah, I think I heard it from someone or-other that there had been a previous incident on the lake a few seasons ago. I hear it's not uncommon.

Two seasons ago, someone let me take their studded , fire-breathing F7 for a blast on Lake Mitchell, and it was the hardest accelerating thing I've ever experienced; even harder than sport-bikes. My eyeballs were plastered into my head, everything swam around and went blurry, and when I finally peeled my thumb off the grip, I was 100 or 200 yards down the ice, doing 65 or 75 MPH . I could easily see how someone could cut across the bow of another on one of those machines.

...and the year hasn't been easy for various family reasons; and I am burned out but currently looking for a full-time job in some kind of engineering position. Motorsports, suspension development, powertrain testing & evaluation, design group management, I've got heaps of experience, just don't have the contacts with the right people quite yet.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Question Re: Can I borrow a snowmobile?

Yeah, I think I heard it from someone or-other that there had been a previous incident on the lake a few seasons ago. I hear it's not uncommon.
Yeah, well...it only happened to me once and I don't plan to go through it again. Broke my foot, totaled my sled. Walked away, though...painfully. Just didn't follow the rules and paid for it.

Two seasons ago, someone let me take their studded , fire-breathing F7 for a blast on Lake Mitchell, and it was the hardest accelerating thing I've ever experienced; even harder than sport-bikes. My eyeballs were plastered into my head, everything swam around and went blurry, and when I finally peeled my thumb off the grip, I was 100 or 200 yards down the ice, doing 65 or 75 MPH .
Funny, I happen to have two studded fire-breathing F7s.

But as I mentioned, both are in the shop. Mine is the black one. The orange one is my wife's and my 14 year old son's. Mine is clutched, piped, and is getting a the head posted (trail port, not race port) by Jason Price at Priceless Performance in ******* (while he is fixing the other stuff that needs to be fixed).

Also, check these two videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbLCr_Dw0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZalISggaQ

The two sleds with me are Arctic Cat Z1 Turbos...1,100cc 4 stroke with turbo and intercooler. Both are modded and leave mine in the powder, even if they were stock and my mods and repairs are done. They are being ridden by the foremost authority of Turbo Buicks in the country (Mike Licht) and his son. I think you might know him, but for those who don't, he is the man behind the Scanmaster scan tool. He put that Buick Turbo knowledge to work on sleds.

...and the year hasn't been easy for various family reasons; and I am burned out but currently looking for a full-time job in some kind of engineering position. Motorsports, suspension development, powertrain testing & evaluation, design group management, I've got heaps of experience, just don't have the contacts with the right people quite yet.
Well that sorta sucks to hear. Sorry about that, and I wish I could afford you a speed-filled weekend. Hope things look up for you soon! Check with Saleen, Roush, etc?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

*two* F7's ?

Wow, I never knew! Personally, I was leaning towards a '02 Yamaha SRX700 but I have to hold off until things have settled down.

Thanks for the video uploads, that really helped me feel better, believe it or not! I've been missing being around like-minded folks, just holed up these days, selling off the guy stuff, one at a time... The garage is looking a whole lot neater these days without all the extra stuff & projects laying about. I'm going to sell some WELD draglite 15 x 10's with Hoosier 27 x 11.5 x 15's on them pretty soon which will pretty much round out all my junk.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

*two* F7's ?

Wow, I never knew!
Yup, I am a wild man. I had a ZR600 which we will call the "New Years Eve Bone Breaker" which was replaced by a ZRT600, which we will call "Blowed Up Real Bad Like". Then I got one F7 and my wife liked it so much she made me buy her one. Yes, she is that cool.

Thanks for the video uploads, that really helped me feel better, believe it or not! I've been missing being around like-minded folks, just holed up these days, selling off the guy stuff, one at a time...
I dunno the details of what happened, but I hope things start looking up for you. The year is new, the economy is picking up, and things are starting to feel a touch better all around. Hang in there!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Then I got one F7 and my wife liked it so much she made me buy her one. Yes, she is that cool.
Never has a truer word been spoken on CamaroZ28.com !!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM

ive owned 2 sleds and sold both i couldnt justify having them in the garage when i only rode them like 3 or 4 times a season..

had a 97 indy ultra SPX 680 (clutched, SLP can, ect...) and a 98' Ski doo MXZ 670, was a fairly built sled.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM

I'm looking at either renting a sled for $220 for the weekend, or just buy myself one outright.

Two possibilities:

2000 Arctic cat ZL500 for $1650. - weighs about 485 pounds DRY, but has about 90 HP.

2001 Ski Doo MXZ 500 FAN for $1600. - Nice and light, weighs about 445 pounds total. HP unknown.

Which one do you think I ought to pick up, if I was to buy one?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

First I would say the ZL500. I had a ZR600 and it was a fun ride. I also like Arctic Cats.

Would you like a list of questions to ask and things to look for or do you know what to check into when buying?

I have some snowmobile jackets for sale, BTW...
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

Yikes, renting is more like $200 per day!

I was going to do two days of riding, leaving on Feb 11th and returning on Feb 13th.

Quick Reply: Can I borrow a snowmobile?