Middle Atlantic New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

Anyone have experience with abandoned car titling?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Anyone have experience with abandoned car titling?

Not sure if that's a good way to describe it, but... basically, here's the situation:

Purchased a car from someone who hadn't fully titled the car in their name. He was a NY resident, car was purchased by him from someone in PA. I then purchased the car from that guy. Yes, I did know that he hadn't finished it off. However, being as it as a really good deal on the car, I purchased it from him, and figured I'd check with the DMV (the only thing he had done, was put his name on the back of the title, but a PA title has a spot for a 2nd buyer underneath, so I wanted to see if that could be used instead). NY says no, can't be ANYTHING on there, so I tell the guy I'm going to mail him all the paperwork back so he can finish off the titling, and then send me the new, clean title when he gets it back. God hated me, and the envelope gets shredded at the post office. No joke - can't make this up. Post office laughed it off. Whatever.

So, now it seems like I have two options: Either sue the guy I bought it from for the money for the car, since everyone seems to tell me he legally couldn't sell it without fully titling the car. Personally, I somehow think I'd lose anyway, since I knowingly purchased it that way, and I really don't want to be THAT guy who does that suing thing. Or, I can track down the PA guy and have him get a duplicate title, and then have him sign it over to me directly. This, would be perfect, and I'd even pay for every step. But. I can't get ahold of him. The only number I have found, is for his sister, and attempts to leave a message to have him call me have either been ignored, or not passed on. Perhaps he doesn't care, since his end was done correctly two years ago when he sold it to the guy I bought it from.

I've heard of some people (certain states?) who have been able to file for something like an abandonment title or something, where I guess the DMV tries to contact the original owner, and if nothing is returned, then the car (I assume), is free to be titled? I don't know, this is all going on what I've heard. I've never seen it done, or known anyone who has personally done it. I can only assume it's possible somehow. I had someone who had a car in a storage unit that got auctioned off. I have to believe the person who bought it, has some way to get the car titled. I don't know.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I forced to basically use the car for parts / scrap (would really suck to watch that happen), or am I stuck trying to somehow try to track down the original PA guy, borderline harass him into getting a duplicate title, even though by all rights, he doesn't owe me a thing?

Thanks all..
Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Re: Anyone have experience with abandoned car titling?

Well, what you can do is try and find out the owners info in PA and contact him tell him the story and offer to pay all assoc fees with dmv and mail. i ran into this with a nova that had no title and oddly enough guy was from PA to lol.. i had a "friend" run the vin and i got info of previous owner. If you can somehow get that info and contact previous owner you should have no problem becuase car is in his name still. good luck
Old 09-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Re: Anyone have experience with abandoned car titling?

Not sure how it works in NY but in NJ you can file for a title on a vehicle like that. I went thru this recently with a trailer I bought. It was a small harbor freight trailer and I bought it with nothing more than a bill of sale and the original certificate of origin which the previous owner had already signed.
Long story short I just faked it and titled it as "home made" it was easier since the trailer was only worth $200 it was much easier and cheaper. However the stated did send me out a package for titling an abandon vehicle... it was rediculious paperwork included paying for everything from previous owner searches to putting ads in the newsapaper. Would have cost me much more than the little trailer was worth.

In your case your best bet is to try and contact the previous owner in PA an dsee if he/she would be willing to help you out. You need them to do it since as far as the state is concerned they still own it and you have no proof... You need to have copies of the original registration as well... If you can get a hold of them you can probably pay them some $$$ to help.

If that route doesnt work there are such things as title agencys who deal with this type of thing on a regular basis and you should contact one for their professional help. It will cost you some $$$ but you may be able to walk thru the legal red tape that way. If not you might be out of luck with a car that you can't prove ownership of.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:13 AM

Cool I picked up a car from Maine.

The Maine DMV sent me a letter saying car was not titled but had been titled last to deceased owner.

Letter was good enough with bill of sale from seller which mentioned car was sold as is where is with no title for NYS DMV to issue me registration. Car was a 1988 so NY title was not given due to age limit.