CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   LT1 Based Engine Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/)
-   -   WP Leaking from Weep hole ! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/wp-leaking-weep-hole-215003/)

Spllouder 01-19-2004 03:48 PM

WP Leaking from Weep hole !

ok i know for sure my Wp is leaking from the weep hole. now my question is whats is a weep holes purpose . now i have to replace the WP so ill go with a electric one . so will the weep hole still leak? do i have to plug it. This is a oringal WP lol. so its time to replace it. But i cant under stand WHY ? This wp is so simply what caused it to start leaking from the weep ? any info would be great . thanks

ZDriver96 01-19-2004 03:55 PM

i dont know the reason why it leaks out of the weep hole but its the sign that its going bad and needs to be changed....

the electic pump with come with a freeze plug that will over over the weep hole...
But i stuck RTV in it just to make sure nothing leaks out.
THe electric pump is better in every way over the stock water pump except for the fact that if it fails it doesnt give u signs ahead of time like the leaking out of the weep hole deal. Course if it leaks out of the weep hole it can ruin your opti so...

Don 97 SS 01-19-2004 03:56 PM

Well in a manner of speaking the weep hole (on all WPs on all engines I have ever worked on) is there to let you know when the pump's bearings are soon going to die and perhaps lock up. The seal is leaking and the bearings are next. A spot of antifreeze under the car is a nice warinng to get the pump replaced before worse problems eventuate.

BitCypher 01-19-2004 04:21 PM

Like any mechanical assembly, it won't last forever. The life span of a WP varies, but most die well before 100k miles, usually in the 50k - 85k range. If it's leaking, replace it ASAP otherwise the drainage could ruin the opti-spark underneath and require you to change it too - which isn't cheap by any means ($200-$300 depending on vendor).

BTW, the factory WP on my '96 died at 94k miles.

Good luck!

Fatdog 01-20-2004 01:41 AM

I would't mess around with this.I would get the water pump replaced asap.You will be a happy camper then.My02

Spllouder 01-20-2004 06:59 PM

i have not even started it up since i sall coolant driping out weep hole . i going to get it replaced asap . Also does anyone make a rebuilt kit for this pump , new seal bearnings and gaskets and etc. ?

Don 97 SS 01-20-2004 07:06 PM

WPs can be rebuilt although I haven't seen a kit like you mention on the market. But based on the nature of your initial question I believe your interests would be best served by purchasing a new one.

polcat1p 01-20-2004 07:12 PM

I bought a reman. w.p for $50, but when i gave them the core the coupling that connects the drive to the w.p was still on the w.p. Make sure you remove that. Not sure about a rebuild kit.
Chad

kevkop94TA 01-20-2004 08:25 PM

Change the WP ASAP:alert:

I thought I could get by for a while with it leaking slightly. After like 2 days it completely puked and dumped coolant all over the opti. Killed the opti. After replacing both it was fine again. Don't make my mistake. :(

Spllouder 01-21-2004 02:27 PM

ok took the advise and bought one today a reman for $65 bucks with shippinghttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWN%3AIT comes with gaskets . cant wait till i get it !

Compstall 01-21-2004 02:48 PM

Unfortunately I've never gotten good life out of Domestic water pumps. My Z typically pukes every 35-40k or so. Autozone sells a $50 rebuilt pump. I tried using an AC Delco new pump last time and it didn't last any longer.

Spllouder 01-21-2004 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Compstall
Unfortunately I've never gotten good life out of Domestic water pumps. My Z typically pukes every 35-40k or so. Autozone sells a $50 rebuilt pump. I tried using an AC Delco new pump last time and it didn't last any longer.

dam thats a bad life span . mine lasted almost 10 years and 69,000 miles . iam about to hit 70,000 miles in my cars things are going to have to be replaced but i got a good lifespan for that pump .