LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Will new LT1 Vette motor fit in 97 Z28?

Old 01-05-2018, 08:38 PM

Will new LT1 Vette motor fit in 97 Z28?

I apologize if this question has already been asked. Will the LT1 motor that is being used in the new Corvettes swap directly in to the 4th Gen Camaros that used the LT1s or what exactly would be involved in that?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Will new LT1 Vette motor fit in 97 Z28?

I haven’t seen it asked before! Great question.

For clarity, I’m going to refer to the ‘93-97 engine as the LT1 and the ‘2014+ engine as the Gen5.

For the most part, this should be similar to doing an LS1 swap. LS1 swaps into LT1 F-bodies are nontrivial but well documented. Compared to the LS1, the Gen5 has different computer and fueling requirements, and there are probably a few more things that will end up being relevant.

I haven’t heard of anyone doing this exact swap before, so you might find yourself blazing the trail a bit, which will require significant skill, perseverance, and/or cash from your end.

For LS swaps, it is widely accepted that it’s cheaper and easier to go out and buy an LS1 car than it is to swap one into an LT1 car. It would certainly be easier to swap a Gen5 engine into an LS1 car than into an LT1 car. You’ll get more money selling the leftover LS1 engine than you would selling an LT1, too.

If you end up trying it, please let us know!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Hey thanks for the reply! I'll probably be going with the "or cash" choice. I am just kind of exploring my options at this point and didn't know if that would be easier than some of the alternatives.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 PM

The new Lt1 doesn't share anything with your current engine and will not bevavdrop-in replacement. I think it shares block architecture with the LS series engines so the place to start is with a LS crossmember. Then get ready to spend money. Lots of money...
Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

What is the objective of this swap? Are you thinking it’s an easy way to achieve 460 flywheel HP? A lot easier and less expensive to do that with your current LT1 engine.

"New LT1":
LT1 6.2L Wet Sump 19355405 Chevy Performance Motor 455HP Karl Chev

"Old LT1"

http://www.ellweinengines.com/

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-06-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What is the objective of this swap? Are you thinking it’s an easy way to achieve 460 flywheel HP? A lot easier and less expensive to do that with your current LT1 engine.

"New LT1":
LT1 6.2L Wet Sump 19355405 Chevy Performance Motor 455HP Karl Chev

"Old LT1"

Ellwein Engines Home Page
My objective is to have a streetable car with a good amount of power. My last "fast" car was a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V which I traded for a pickup and have been missing ever since. I just want that throw you back in the seat feeling again. This wont be a drag strip car but I'd like it to be quicker than the majority of other sports cars I will run into on the street.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Administrator

And you can achieve that with your current engine.

In addition to the newer LT1 engine, you will need a controller (sold by GM Perf Parts) to run the engine. Fuel system will need an upgrade, trans may not bolt up, or require a new bell housing. If you have a 4L60E trans, you will need a controller for that. While the newer LT1 will "fit", there's the issue of the oil pan clearance. The newer LT1 comes in two versions - dry sump and wet sump. Where do you get a accessory drive kit that bolts your existing accessories to the newer LT1?

Assembly does not include electronics.

Use LT1 Controller Kit, P/N 19355167 for engine operation with 8L90-E 8-speed automatic transmission or P/N 19355458 for 4L70-E 4-speed automatic AND T56 6-speed manual transmissions

Kits include electronic throttle pedal, which is required for throttle input to the ECU
19355167 LT1 Engine Controller Kit for use with P/N 19355405

LT1 Accessory Drive System 19329990 Chevrolet Performance

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...8-19329997.pdf

Low Pressure (Fuel Tank To Engine)
The production system uses a returnless variable flow/pressure system that has been incorporated in the Chevrolet
Performance engine control kit. A returnless fuel system reduces the internal temperature of the fuel tank by controlling the
speed of the fuel pump and not returning hot fuel from the engine to the fuel tank. If using the Chevrolet Performance engine
control kit, a pulse width modulation capable fuel pump that delivers 500 kPa (72psi) at 45 gallons per hour is required. If not
using the Chevrolet Performance engine control system, then a fuel pump and a regulator that delivers 500kPa (72psi) with 45
gallons per hour of flow must be used.
"Fit" is not the only issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:30 PM

So is there anywhere that makes drop in performance LT1 engines, or are there any reputable shops in the Midwest what will do the work on the engine I have?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by turn2ashes
So is there anywhere that makes drop in performance LT1 engines, or are there any reputable shops in the Midwest what will do the work on the engine I have?
I can't speak for everyone, but why not take the engine that you have, and build it for what you want. The right choice is entirely up to what you want to do with the car and how much money you want to spend.

I suggest you start by asking yourself to commit to some sort of goal for the car. Drag, autocross, street rod... Then go from there on how to most efficiently meet that goal.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Administrator

For a long block assembly, here's an example..... not crazy about Golen, HP estimates may be a bit overstated.... but it is one source. There are others:

https://golenengineservice.com/engin...ocks-1992-1997

I posted the link to Ellwein Engines above. Better source. You would have to contact Karl. Each engine is custom built, to achieve your goals. The link takes you to his short block assemblies. There is a link on that page to details of most of the 83 engines he has built. He can build you a long block, or a complete drop-in engine.

And, finding a local QUALITY engine shop, willing to take your engine, build the bottom end to the level required for your goals, and use your current heads/intake, ported by someone like Elliotts Port Works, plus a matching cam from Elliott, is probably the least expensive path, if you don't want to get involved with the build and assembly.

http://elliottsportworks.com/
Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 AM

Excellent advise!

Many other members here are thinking of a similar swap.